Sponsored By:

Battery Changing Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 10:03 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Battery Changing Question

I spoke with an Porsche indy shop yesterday (there are two good ones here). I am going to go ahead and replace my battery, but due to the location I have decided that I will have somebody who know what they're doing to do it. I watched a Youtube video of how to do it, and the person in the video showed how he hooked up something that allowed for the retention of all of the memory in the car.....settings etc. I asked the indy about this, and they said, they could do that if I want, BUT they suggest against it. I asked why, and they said it would be better for the car to have a total reset, and clear out any issues. I have no idea if this is true.

I would really appreciate some advice. If they are correct....I will follow that directive, but if it doesn't matter, I'd rather not reprogram everything. I input please.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:54 AM
CBR1KRR
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven’t experience with the battery “reset” with my Cayenne. My previous Audi S7, certainly benefited from this approach.
Prior to replacing the battery, I connected a trickle charger to the jump start terminals under the hood, then disconnected and replaced the battery. Before the battery change I had some of the typical electrical “gremlins” not unlike several descriptions of ones on this site. Erroneous light fault indicators, rear hatch close issues, and in my case for the Audi also rear spoiler would occasionally stay deployed and fault.
After battery replacement all issues except the rear spoiler was corrected. A scan of the car indicated that the module for the spoiler was defective. Luckily I read of someone’s similar experience on the Audi forum.
Their Indy shop disconnected their battery and shorted, WITHOUT any power applied, the negative and positive battery connections together. So I did the same, and my remaining issue after battery replacement was solved.
If you haven’t any related electronics issues, and pain threshold is high to reprogram your settings, skip the reset.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:52 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,760 Likes on 1,650 Posts

I followed the manual which states to hook up power to the jump points.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:22 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I spoke with an Porsche indy shop yesterday (there are two good ones here). I am going to go ahead and replace my battery, but due to the location I have decided that I will have somebody who know what they're doing to do it. I watched a Youtube video of how to do it, and the person in the video showed how he hooked up something that allowed for the retention of all of the memory in the car.....settings etc. I asked the indy about this, and they said, they could do that if I want, BUT they suggest against it. I asked why, and they said it would be better for the car to have a total reset, and clear out any issues. I have no idea if this is true.

I would really appreciate some advice. If they are correct....I will follow that directive, but if it doesn't matter, I'd rather not reprogram everything. I input please.
No you do not have to power anything up to retain settings. Maybe you should post a link to the YouTube video that says you have to do that, because several people on here would be interested in this "information".

Yes, based on its location, you have to be a little handy with tools and slightly confident, but frankly, at the end of the day it's pretty straightforward.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:14 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

What I had said in my original post is that the Youtube video showed a method of keeping the memory while changing the battery. The shop I talked to said they could do that, but they do not advise it, because the reset tends to clear any issues in the system. If there are any issues in the system, I am not aware of them, so I don't really understand the advantage of such.

Here si the Youtube link.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:59 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Just follow the alldata instructions. You're overthinking it. It's just a battery.

I just changed mine out a few weeks ago. No issues whatsoever.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:03 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Default I was just trying to save myself time

[QUOTE=RAudi Driver;17269726]Just follow the alldata instructions. You're overthinking it. It's just a battery.

I was just trying to save myself the time of having to reset all the radio/XM stations, sound settings, seat memory, etc. Right now, it turns out that it doesn't need a battery. I am picking it up this am from the Porsche dealer. It went in for the faulty "tail light failure" issue. It turned out that they replaced the outer tail lights, and told me if the warning returns, Porsche has instructed them to then change the inner tail lights. The issue is not the result of the battery. Even though the battery is slightly over five years old, they told me that the AGM's in Cayenne's (depending on use, climate, etc) can last up to eight years, isnce they are in the passenger compartment away from the heat of the engine. When I do change it, I can either write all those items down and reprogram, or follow the Youtube instructions and keep them as is. I'm just happy that my tail light issue is solved, and I didn't get the call, "We were not able to replicate the fault."
Old 03-03-2021, 02:50 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
When I do change it, I can either write all those items down and reprogram, or follow the Youtube instructions and keep them as is.
Glad the dealer resolved the issue.

My experience with both Porsche's of mine are that a simple battery swap, with NO power supply connected to retain memory, only results in the driver having to reset what is listed in the owner's manual: window limit, sunroof limit, steering angle, and that is about it. The car always retained everything in the PCM, seat memory, etc. Yes, there are some items that will have to relearn/adapt but unless you use a PIWIS to downoad and then restore them, the car will automatically start its adaptation process, e.g. DME.

The ONLY time I have ever had to restore the info stored in the PCM is when it was replaced.

The following users liked this post:
mafpolo (03-05-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 10:17 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 100 Posts

We have a 2013 diesel purchased new / received in 2012.
In 2016 we did a 5500 mile one way winter rally - a lot of it was north of the Arctic Circle with temps of -36F
March 2020 did the same rally different route temps got to -40F and stayed this low for a longer period of time
For 2016 we never had an issue starting with our four year old battery - we did not use an oil pan heater
For 2020 we had to get a jump start every morning on the cold temp days - we did use an oil pan heater
Only difference was for 2020 we had a new battery installed. Do not believe the ECU was reprogrammed to let it know and to change the battery charging cycle. Now back in warmer temps we have not had any battery issues.
Side note in 2016 our TPMS batteries worked fine. For 2020 we replaced with new sensors and the readings were all over the map. Checked with our analog gauge and the pressures were where they were supposed to be.

Last edited by RS-America; 03-03-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:36 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=mafpolo;17270180]
Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Just follow the alldata instructions. You're overthinking it. It's just a battery.

I was just trying to save myself the time of having to reset all the radio/XM stations, sound settings, seat memory, etc. Right now, it turns out that it doesn't need a battery. I am picking it up this am from the Porsche dealer. It went in for the faulty "tail light failure" issue. It turned out that they replaced the outer tail lights, and told me if the warning returns, Porsche has instructed them to then change the inner tail lights. The issue is not the result of the battery. Even though the battery is slightly over five years old, they told me that the AGM's in Cayenne's (depending on use, climate, etc) can last up to eight years, isnce they are in the passenger compartment away from the heat of the engine. When I do change it, I can either write all those items down and reprogram, or follow the Youtube instructions and keep them as is. I'm just happy that my tail light issue is solved, and I didn't get the call, "We were not able to replicate the fault."

Power to the jump points will save all the stuff you're speaking about. On another note, the AGM in my RS4 is original and I'm the original owner. Purchased the car March 2008.
mafpolo (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 03:16 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 100 Posts

Satire:

The following 2 users liked this post by RS-America:
Eskimo1 (03-12-2021), vntperformance (04-02-2022)
Old 03-05-2021, 05:27 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Hahahahahhaa.
hahahaha

Silly woman. Like the two female 911 owners

1st woman: 911 broken down and she's on the side of the road.

2nd woman: pulls over and asks if everything is alright.

1st woman: "My car just stopped running. Won't start anymore"
2nd woman: "Lets a take a look."
They open the hood... "There's your problem right there. You don't have an engine. No worries, I have a spare one in my trunk"

RS-America (03-05-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 06:21 PM
fstr n u
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Just replaced the batter in our 2014 CTT....local garage tried installing an aftermarket battery and couldn't get it coded properly so we ended up with a Porsche factory battery...crap are those expensive! At least we should get another 7-8 years out of it, if we keep this SUV that long. Pain in the butt location for install but makes sense from a weight distribution and other standpoint.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:13 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fstr n u
Just replaced the batter in our 2014 CTT....local garage tried installing an aftermarket battery and couldn't get it coded properly so we ended up with a Porsche factory battery...crap are those expensive! At least we should get another 7-8 years out of it, if we keep this SUV that long. Pain in the butt location for install but makes sense from a weight distribution and other standpoint.

I just coded new battery (aftermarket battery) and it is piece of cake. Brand doesn't really matter so I am not sure how your local shop had hard time coding it.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:11 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-997
I just coded new battery (aftermarket battery) and it is piece of cake. Brand doesn't really matter so I am not sure how your local shop had hard time coding it.
Don't keep us in suspense.. what tool did you code it with?
RS-America (03-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Battery Changing Question