Sponsored By:

Nav Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 01:02 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nav Question

I have to believe that’s it’s just old, but the routes on my Google maps on my iphone seems to be selecting faster routes then my new to me 2016 Cayanne nav.

I just got the Cayenne two days ago and driving home last night I had my iPhone open and the nav on the Cayenne open and the phone said that I would arrive at 11:20 and the nav on the Cayenne said that I would arrive at 12:30. Anyone find that?

Do you use the nav without concern that you’re on the fastest route?

I commute 700 miles per week and the fastest route is of major importance to me.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:12 PM
jetpep
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

No news that vehicle GPS systems are not as efficient as Google Maps or alike. This technology dates itself very quickly, and I’m willing to bet your maps haven’t been updated either.

If travel time is as important as stated, use Google Maps or similar. PCM isn’t even in the same league. Used mine once - never again.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:18 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Originally Posted by jetpep
No news that vehicle GPS systems are not as efficient as Google Maps or alike. This technology dates itself very quickly, and I’m willing to bet your maps haven’t been updated either.

If travel time is as important as stated, use Google Maps or similar. PCM isn’t even in the same league. Used mine once - never again.
Thats what I suspected.

Thanks for the response.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:32 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Has anyone done the nav update for $185?

If it works, it may be worth it.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:47 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Agree. The Porsche nav was bad when my CD was new in 2014. It’s worse now that time has passed. I always keep my phone nav on as well.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:59 AM
AceVentura
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

PCM Navigation is rubbish to be honest, best use your phone. In the UK i use Waze as it also has speed cameras and any police sightings logged by other users.

​​​​​​Interestingly, the time it's worked the best for me was when I was in Mainland Europe (France and Belgium (Spa)). It's likely designed with that market in mind.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:10 AM
norcoastal
Pro

The iPhone it is!

Thank you for your comments
Old 02-20-2022, 11:03 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 515 Posts

@norcoastal You're better off spending the money on a Carplay module and showing Waze on the larger screen.

...or at least put your phone in a holder that makes it easily visible (there's a separate thread on phone holders that's quite useful)
Old 02-20-2022, 11:31 AM
norcoastal
Pro

Thanks, for now I’ll just get an iPhone holder. Stereo sounds great!

Ill do some research on the CarPlay module.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:44 AM
Rocknroad
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by norcoastal
Thanks, for now I’ll just get an iPhone holder. Stereo sounds great!

Ill do some research on the CarPlay module.
The one I have (and many others here).
Porsche Cayenne ExactFit Magnetic Phone Mount | Rennline
Old 02-20-2022, 11:47 AM
Rocknroad
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I have to believe that’s it’s just old, but the routes on my Google maps on my iphone seems to be selecting faster routes then my new to me 2016 Cayanne nav.

I just got the Cayenne two days ago and driving home last night I had my iPhone open and the nav on the Cayenne open and the phone said that I would arrive at 11:20 and the nav on the Cayenne said that I would arrive at 12:30. Anyone find that?

I commute 700 miles per week and the fastest route is of major importance to me.
Also note that Google Maps and Waze offer up real-time traffic, police warnings, stalled car notices, etc. Every one of those factors can affect your drive time more than the selected route. I have never had an installed Nav that adequately follows all factors. Live maps are the only good solution.

Get the phone mount and call it good.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rocknroad:
CAVU (02-20-2022), Dr. G7 (02-20-2022), norcoastal (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 01:33 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 240 Posts

Use Waze. Wiki for NAV. Reasonably good real-time traffic, police warnings, stalled car notices, etc.

I never use factory Nav.

Also, fastest route is not always "best" route. I like straight drives; not the fastest route (with hundred stop signs, speed trap small villages, left, right, right, left turns.)
Old 02-20-2022, 02:16 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 182 Posts

I hate the way Google maps will route me through neighborhoods instead of the freeway. I don't care if it saves me 5 minutes here and there. It's anoying. I also think it's rude to the residents.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 02:27 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I hate the way Google maps will route me through neighborhoods instead of the freeway. I don't care if it saves me 5 minutes here and there. It's anoying. I also think it's rude to the residents.
I understand all NAV maps are point A to point B. Surely, there are algorithms to route the least number of turns. Please see attached. But a colleague of mine preferred to seven turns to my three turns

Old 02-21-2022, 10:59 AM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

The only thing I find the nav useful for is putting in our target city on long road trips so the kids can see "How much further?" Also, my son gets excited by the checkered flag when we get close to grandma's house.

Quick Reply: Nav Question