Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anybody own a Tesla Model Y on this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 01:31 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Anybody own a Tesla Model Y on this forum?

I am curious if anybody has a model Y on this forum, and if so curious as to what you like, don't like, etc?
Old 02-19-2022, 03:59 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 158 Posts

I've had a Model Y for about a year and half now. Totally different experience than my Cayenne and 993 but in a nutshell, very happy with it. I like the fact that I can go from pure analog in the 993, the Cayenne middle ground (physical switches, cameras, GPS), and full tech in the Y. TLDR-would buy again and looking at getting another one although I don't like the continual price increases.

Pros:
-extremely quick, effortless acceleration (my Porsches are the "slowest" cars in my garage)
-get used to the single touchscreen very quickly (although sometimes Tesla updates the s/w and moves things around so need to relearn a few things)
-convenience of home charging is great
-holds its value very well (although the whole used car market seems upside down these days); I could probably sell it for more than I paid for it even at 20k miles
-while I paid for FSD and have been trying out FSD-beta, I still don't trust it on city streets; freeways are fine and have taken it on several 1,000 mi road trips with no issue
-Supercharger network is great if you're traveling on major freeways (but I've heard not so much if you like to stray off the beaten path); network continues to expand though
-Dog mode: we've got two dogs and have no qualms leaving them in the car on a hot summer day with the climate control set at 68; have left them in the car overnight as well on road trips where the hotels don't take dogs
-Tesla mobile service: had a few minor issues where their mobile tech comes to your house and is able to do the fix with minimal disruption to your day
-Storage capacity-I think I can actually move more in the Y than in my Cayenne; the underfloor storage in the trunk and space in the frunk come in handy for long road trips
-Easy for my kids to drive - my kids who prior did not have much interest in cars now find driving fun and Tesla's navigation is quite easy to see and use (vs trying to look at a map on a phone) so I feel it's safer

Cons:
-Tesla still needs to work on fit & finish; ours was one of the early ones and so the paint quality wasn't perfect with some imperfections and needed some after purchase service work
-Range isn't nearly as much as the EPA ratings (but that's about true with most EVs); you soon learn that driving 70mph+ on the freeway isn't nearly as efficient as stop and go in the city
-Range in cold-weather conditions really drops vs the summer
-I still prefer real leather vs Tesla's vegan leather but it's not bad and easy to clean
-No accidents yet but heard that parts can take weeks to months sometimes if your car needs bodywork
-No real soul-miss hearing the growl of a throaty exhaust when you hit the accelerator and drive up the rpm's
The following 3 users liked this post by ShdwFx:
daveo4porsche (10-03-2022), Dr. G7 (02-20-2022), mafpolo (02-19-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 01:14 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I am curious if anybody has a model Y on this forum, and if so curious as to what you like, don't like, etc?
I had a day long test drive of an X and S. Hated it. Junk. Tesla is a cult. Lousy handling. Awful fit and finish. Hopelessly confounding touch screen. Drill down three menus to turns down fan speed? No thank you.

Last month, I had a Taycan for a week. Loved it. I'm in the process of getting a 2021 Taycan.
Only negative about the Taycan: Everywhere I parked it, people would come asking about it. Truck drivers to cheerleaders
The following users liked this post:
mafpolo (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 08:22 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 163 Posts

I owned a Model 3 for a very short time. I found the screen very intuitive and easy (the X & S had different screens), I liked the no going to the gas station, no maintenance, and regenerative braking. I hated the fit and finish, and it was way too small. Maybe I will just wait until a Cayenne Electric shows up. Tesla could definitely have done a better design job on the Y. With all their resources, why can't Tesla have great paint and great fit and finish. Porsche is a cult brand as well, but if you say anything negative about a Tesla to a Teslarati person, they are ready to fist fight. I love the Taycan, but I am not ready to go back to sitting that low.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:52 PM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
I had a day long test drive of an X and S. Hated it. Junk. Tesla is a cult. Lousy handling. Awful fit and finish. Hopelessly confounding touch screen. Drill down three menus to turns down fan speed? No thank you.

Last month, I had a Taycan for a week. Loved it. I'm in the process of getting a 2021 Taycan.
Only negative about the Taycan: Everywhere I parked it, people would come asking about it. Truck drivers to cheerleaders
100% agree. I would like to get an all electric EV for the wife but to be honest for the short round town trips she takes the BMW X5 45e makes much more sense. No range anxiety or ****ty build quality plus decent dealer network and all electric range will cover most local journeys
Old 02-20-2022, 10:26 PM
BNB911
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Model Y Owner

One big issue I have with the car, Its so smart it can self drive by itself! (10k up grade) But the dang thing does not know if me or my wife's phone is unlocking it. So, Me being a bigger guy have to reach in and change the setting to me by reaching into the middle of the car on the screen.
The easiest cr I have ever purchased. 5-6 c;icks on the computer and 6 weeks later go pick it up.
When we picked it up, I Honestly felt motion sickness after driving it for the first time first 4 minutes. And I dont get motion sick.
I drive the hell out of it, When Tesla offered us there insurance I was Truly Shocked. Because if they even peeked at how I drive it, they would never offer me inc. Its Super fast I feel handles great for the weight of the car. It does take getting used to. Range anxiety is a real thing. We live just outside of Chicago and have many chargers avbl. in our area. And the 220V 48A wall mount Tesla charger in garage. So we have not had issues charging. Verse a Rural area this could be a big problem. However, If you enter your desired destination, the car will tell you what speed you need to maintain to get there. And NO its not 100%. The cold does reduce the battery as in almost all on the market. The only issue we have has with ours is that for some odd reason after driving "Very Spirted" @ 15k miles I noticed that our rear hatch gaps started to increase on the drivers side and shrink on the pass. side. So, I drove it an Hr to the service center, waited 3 hrs for them to tell me the hinges were not in speck. 10 weeks later the hinges were in and painted and we had them installed. The inc. is a little less than out Lexus 460 was, No where as nice inside. But we didnt purchase the Tesla for "Luxury" we purchased it to Not buy gas.
(At least for that car) I WISH my 911 has the acceleration the Y has W/O the Performance upgrade. And The "Tesla cult" is no different than the "Porsche cult"
Its a new way to think about transportation, no gas. I m guessing once the batteries come down in cost it would give them more room to add more luxury items thats Lexus, BMW or Porsches all have. You dont buy a Tesla for Luxury. You buy it to not buy gas.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:45 AM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i have had a Tesla Model 3 since 2018 (and a model S before that). My wife loves and drives the 3 now and it’s the car of choice to zip around to get things done together in town. It’s a little too low for me to get in hence thinking the Y. I tell people I’m stuck driving my Cayenne turbo. The Cayenne we chose to take on a trip with two relatives recently because it’s more comfortable/luxurious inside. While I’m thinking about getting a Y, we both love the Cayenne having picked it up at the factory in Leipzig in 2012 and drove all over Europe. It’s had serious problems (engine replaced plus two other situations requiring a tow truck), it’s only got 26K miles on it and running fine now so we’ll probably keep it and not get the Y at least for awhile.
Old 02-23-2022, 12:58 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Our Tesla Model Y is an iphone that behaves like a car. It is a game changer for sure but not inspiring from a driving perspective. Suspension is pathetic. Regenerative braking is pretty cool. It definitely has its pros but if you are looking for a great handling car, it will disappoint you for sure. Instant acceleration is addictive.,
Old 02-23-2022, 02:45 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Tosilog
Our Tesla Model Y is an iphone that behaves like a car. It is a game changer for sure but not inspiring from a driving perspective. Suspension is pathetic. Regenerative braking is pretty cool. It definitely has its pros but if you are looking for a great handling car, it will disappoint you for sure. Instant acceleration is addictive.,
Nice way to summarize it.

I'm waiting for VAG to come up with the next generation of EVs before I move. I bought my Cayenne last year with the expectation that it might be my last ICE, and wanted to make sure that it was something interesting.

BTW, I also remember driving the hills of upstate NY, near Ithaca, in a 1.6 liter VW Rabbit, getting badly dusted by a Datsun 260Z and thinking:

I need to get at least one high performance car before the gas runs out.

That was a few years ago...
Old 02-24-2022, 12:00 AM
Slam08
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I just traded my 958.1 CTT for a Jaguar I pace. I still miss the cornering of the CTT with PDCC. But the I pace is no slouch. And the fit and finish are Jaguar level luxury which is step up from Tesla of course but not quite the panache of a Porsche.

I would gotten the Taycan if couldve found a nice one for 70k

My brother has a model y and he said my I pace was cool and everything… and then he took it for a drive and and as soon as he left his driveway he was like whoah. The I pace is diffferent league with the air suspension and noise deadening. He still prefer the autopilot on his Tesla. Can’t argue with that!
Old 02-24-2022, 09:26 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slam08
He still prefer the autopilot on his Tesla.
Right.

On the Tesla forum, they discuss the finer points of using the autopilot - where do you put your hands...in your lap, on your phone, etc.

On the Rennlist forum, you know, a forum for automotive enthusiasts (versus passive observers), we talk about late apexing and suspension improvements.
The following 2 users liked this post by lml999:
Dr. G7 (02-24-2022), Slam08 (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 09:38 AM
Slam08
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Exactly.

I like your term of automotive enthusiasts.

It’s also nice how there are different cars for different types. One friend loves his BMW. My other friend loves his Wrangler.

My brother loves his Tesla and his wife. I love neither 🤣
The following 2 users liked this post by Slam08:
Dr. G7 (02-24-2022), lml999 (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 11:55 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
Right.

On the Tesla forum, they discuss the finer points of using the autopilot - where do you put your hands...in your lap, on your phone, etc.

On the Rennlist forum, you know, a forum for automotive enthusiasts (versus passive observers), we talk about late apexing and suspension improvements.
There is a pretty good review of the Taycan by Doug Murano (who can be aggravating/informative) where he also talked about the driving characteristics of a “iPhone on wheels” vs a real car.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:29 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
There is a pretty good review of the Taycan by Doug Murano (who can be aggravating/informative) where he also talked about the driving characteristics of a “iPhone on wheels” vs a real car.
If I were looking for an 'iPhone on wheels" I likely wouldn't be a card-carrying member of this forum.
Dr. G7 (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 11:58 AM
CayenneGTSNL
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Drove a Tesla and a Taycan but can't get used to either one of them. Taycan felt vasly underpowered and way too naked inside. Was happy to give it back (was a loaner).
Tesla.. don't even get me started. Rubbish.
Dr. G7 (03-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Anybody own a Tesla Model Y on this forum?