Sponsored By:

Trailer Harness Plug?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 05:50 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Trailer Harness Plug?

I need to tow something and have never really towed much of anything before and never with the Cayenne. I have an OEM tow package but don't understand the trailer harness plug. I unscrewed the 4 screws (which should have been stainless steel but weren't) and see the wires but don't know how to undo the cover from the plug itself - any help would be appreciated?
Old 10-04-2022, 07:12 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 158 Posts

I went thru this last year when I was a noob to towing. You'll first need to remove the blank face plate - there's a small tab where you can insert a small flathead screwdriver to release the plate. From there you can buy yourself a
Pollak 7-way socket Pollak 7-way socket
which was recommended to me by other Rennlisters. I did my first tow with a small U-Haul which in turn required a
4-wire harness adapter 4-wire harness adapter
to plug into the Pollak and everything worked perfectly.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:19 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by ShdwFx
I went thru this last year when I was a noob to towing. You'll first need to remove the blank face plate - there's a small tab where you can insert a small flathead screwdriver to release the plate. From there you can buy yourself a Pollak 7-way socket which was recommended to me by other Rennlisters. I did my first tow with a small U-Haul which in turn required a 4-wire harness adapter to plug into the Pollak and everything worked perfectly.
Oh, I just assumed if I could get that face plate off I was good to go with whatever plug was on it. Wonder why Porsche didn't put a flap door face plate like that on it. Have no idea if I need an adapter or not.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:39 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Kigiin
Oh, I just assumed if I could get that face plate off I was good to go with whatever plug was on it. Wonder why Porsche didn't put a flap door face plate like that on it. Have no idea if I need an adapter or not.
They did not add a plug because this way you can decide if you want a 4 wire or 7 wire plug.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:09 PM
PFDGSB
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 79 Posts

Many manufacturers include both.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:28 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by PFDGSB
Many manufacturers include both.
Sure, many manufacturers give you lots of options for free. That is clearly not Porsche's business model.

Quick Reply: Trailer Harness Plug?