Sponsored By:

PCM not detecting carplay but iPhone does

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 11:09 PM
BaboonFury
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM not detecting carplay but iPhone does

I just picked up a 17 Cayenne GTS and everything is perfect with it except getting carplay to work for me. I've been poring over the manual, watched a number of youtube videos, and even spent 30 minutes on the phone with porsche connect support to no avail.

When I plug my iPhone into the USB port in the armrest I get the "iPod Connected" notice on the screen. The PCM doesn't recognize the phone as an iPhone and doesn't let me select carplay as an option when I go to device manager. To troubleshoot so far I've tried 3 different OEM Apple cables with one being brand new. I've tried factory resetting the PCM settings multiple times, turned off and turned on my iphone multiple times, pulled the fuse multiple times, turned off and turned on siri multiple times, checked that accessory mode is enabled in lock and none of these have worked for me in getting the PCM to detect it as an iPhone and not an iPod. The even stranger thing is that when I connect my phone via bluetooth to the PCM and then go to the carplay settings on my phone it sees the Cayenne along with my Toyota truck, but the PCM still doesn't detect my iPhone. The Porsche support rep was completely baffled that he couldn't figure it out and didn't know what to tell me. Having read through posts from a bunch of other folks who had similar issues for some it sounded like carplay was never turned on in their PCMs from the factory. The porsche rep didn't think that was possible here and was convinced it is stuck in iPod mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be able to try to get it unstuck? I'd hate to spend a couple hundred taking it to the dealer over a software issue and am wondering if I have any other avenues to try first. Has anyone reinstalled their PCM software at home?

For reference I'm on an iPhone 14 with the most current version of iOS.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:14 PM
Visualistics
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Is CarPlay enabled on your phone? Sometimes mine randomly gets disabled in my settings on my phone and won’t connect to the head unit. Settings > General > CarPlay > select your CarPlay unit and there should be a slider to enable CarPlay.

edit - scratch that, I completely missed the couple sentences saying you already checked that.

Last edited by Visualistics; 01-05-2023 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:21 PM
BaboonFury
Track Day

Yup, it's enabled and I've tried resetting it under content and privacy restrictions as well.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:29 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I don’t mean this in a negative or offensive way, but are you sure it has carplay? Carplay was still an option on the 2017, not standard.
check out your left stalk used for directionals, does it have a little person/voice icon on it with a button on the end of the stalk? If not, you don’t have carplay factory.
you can also run the vin to check the build sheet or check your window sticker if you have one. Carplay is part of Porsche connect+ I believe.
If you don’t have it, it can be added a number of ways, oem through the dealer or online some people offer a hack of some sort to get it enabled.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:10 PM
BaboonFury
Track Day

I definitely don't have the voice control function on the left stalk or Connect +, is carplay tied to that? I thought it was tied to Porsche Connect and not Connect +. Hopefully my monroney label copies over. https://monroneylabels.com/cars/8431...orsche-cayenne

The Porsche Connect support rep seemed to think I should have it based on my VIN and it wasn't working.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:52 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I added CarPlay to my '16 S in the way of a separate circuitboard installed in the radio. The instructions indicate that to activate it, push and hold for 3 to 5 seconds the "INFO" button.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:18 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BaboonFury
I definitely don't have the voice control function on the left stalk or Connect +, is carplay tied to that? I thought it was tied to Porsche Connect and not Connect +. Hopefully my monroney label copies over. https://monroneylabels.com/cars/8431...orsche-cayenne

The Porsche Connect support rep seemed to think I should have it based on my VIN and it wasn't working.
It’s definitely part of the connect plus package, so undo try unsteady you don’t have it. Search on Facebook cayenne forums, there are a few people that will email you enabling info and usb files for around $100 and you should be able to have it. You won’t have the voice control button unless you physically add it, but it isn’t needed. If you want voice control you just have to hit the Siri button on the display in carplay.
The following users liked this post:
GTCharlie (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 08:07 PM
Tappet
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Carplay is sensitive to the USB cable. Some lower quality aftermarket cables don't implement the Lightning spec fully, or have a low quality signal, and it doesn't work right. I bought a 2017 CTT and CarPlay didn't work with my generic charger cables I keep in varius places. It did work with the original Apple cable and a high quality Anker cable.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:30 PM
BaboonFury
Track Day

Originally Posted by volcanogts
It’s definitely part of the connect plus package, so undo try unsteady you don’t have it. Search on Facebook cayenne forums, there are a few people that will email you enabling info and usb files for around $100 and you should be able to have it. You won’t have the voice control button unless you physically add it, but it isn’t needed. If you want voice control you just have to hit the Siri button on the display in carplay.
Thanks, I'll poke around on the facebook groups to find one that lets me do it on my own with USB.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:30 PM
BaboonFury
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tappet
Carplay is sensitive to the USB cable. Some lower quality aftermarket cables don't implement the Lightning spec fully, or have a low quality signal, and it doesn't work right. I bought a 2017 CTT and CarPlay didn't work with my generic charger cables I keep in varius places. It did work with the original Apple cable and a high quality Anker cable.
I actually tried 3 different apple cables with one being brand new and none worked. It looks like I just don't have it activated.

Quick Reply: PCM not detecting carplay but iPhone does