Sponsored By:

2018 S E-hybrid Driving Habit

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 09:37 PM
aceventura33
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2018 S E-hybrid Driving Habit

I just purchased a 2018 S E-Hybrid. So far I love the vehicle and I have been experimenting with different ways to drive it. I liked the idea of having the possibility of saving money when driving it around town or on short trips. The main reason was the power and overall performance. I definitely felt the difference compared to a base level Cayenne and thought the hybrid is inline with the S version. After living the the hybrid for a few days, and given the cost of electricity in my area (Las Vegas), range, cost of gas and MPG, doing some math, seems like the cost per mile isn’t much different. The cost of electricity per mile compared to the cost of gas per mile.

I am thinking I might just ignore worrying about plugging it in, and just drive it the way I would drive any other car. Seems that using the engine to charge the battery, hurts MPG and I am not sure if it is worth it. Any insight from others would be helpful, maybe I am missing something.
Old 02-28-2023, 12:26 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Congratulations on your second post in (checks notes) fifteen years!

And also on your new car. The good news is that you get to choose - in my area, doing my short commute on electric-only saves me about 60% if I can charge at home, but if we’re honest, this is more about the gamification for me: how far can I go before the engine turns on?
Old 02-28-2023, 10:54 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Using eCharge will definately hit your MPG. If nothing else I would say plug it in to a 120v outlet and get some electrons into the battery pack. They can get testy if left fflat.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:15 PM
aceventura33
AutoX

15 years is about the time I sold a 1999, 996. The Cayenne is my only Porsche since then. I was surprised my account was still active.

Getting back to the Cayenne, I’ve noticed the system doesn’t let the battery go below about 1/4 charge. I did the same route, first with a fully charged battery, driving conservatively, mixed roads, I got about 35 mpg using e mode. The same route with e mode off, I got about 25 mpg. It is amazing this vehicle, given weight and power can be this efficient.
The following users liked this post:
pontifex4 (02-28-2023)

Quick Reply: 2018 S E-hybrid Driving Habit