Sponsored By:

Auto start/stop not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 06:18 PM
mstrmoo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto start/stop not working

I just picked up at CPO 2018 Cayenne base.

On the drive home I noticed start/stop doesn't work, and a light comes on in the dash indicating start/stop fault. I assumed it's a weak battery.

I messaged the sales rep about it. He said it's because the outside temperature, or engine/interior aren't warm enough and it will work when temperatures improve. It was 38 degrees today. Seems odd, only because I'm coming from a C-class that never had an issue at these temps... Am I missing something? Is this a Porsche thing?

If it's the battery, I understand it's a wear item and not covered under CPO, but I would assume it would be looked at and corrected during the CPO process.

Anyone have any insight?

Last edited by mstrmoo; 03-09-2023 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:46 PM
mstrmoo
Track Day

Hmm, voltage seems fine. 14.4.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:35 PM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Almost always a voltage issue. 14.4 is a reading when your alternator is running. Leave your car overnight, then turn the car on without starting your engine, and see what the reading is. My guess is that you'll likely be in the 11s. In which case, battery.
The following users liked this post:
KBell (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 07:49 PM
mstrmoo
Track Day

Originally Posted by BrendonSF
Almost always a voltage issue. 14.4 is a reading when your alternator is running. Leave your car overnight, then turn the car on without starting your engine, and see what the reading is. My guess is that you'll likely be in the 11s. In which case, battery.
Great thank you, will check in the morning.

Anyone have an opinion on whether or not this is something that should be fully functional on a CPO at delivery? Again, I understand the battery is a wear item, but it was delivered like this.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:11 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 515 Posts

@mstrmoo CPO should essentially guarantee a fault-free car, and a car with an non-working start stop system would be a PR issue, no matter the cause.

A weak battery will cause all sorts of weird issues in a german car, as you probably know. I'd call the dealership and ask them to deal with it.

That having been said, half this forum would love to figure out how to defeat start-stop without buying an aftermarket gadget.
Ripking (03-10-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 09:16 PM
mstrmoo
Track Day

Originally Posted by lml999
@mstrmoo CPO should essentially guarantee a fault-free car, and a car with an non-working start stop system would be a PR issue, no matter the cause.

A weak battery will cause all sorts of weird issues in a german car, as you probably know. I'd call the dealership and ask them to deal with it.

That having been said, half this forum would love to figure out how to defeat start-stop without buying an aftermarket gadget.
I hate the auto start/stop. I've always turned it off in my previous cars, and will do so with this one.

That being said I do expect it to be working on a CPO. I don't want to wait for "warmer temperatures" like suggested by the sales rep, then find out that it's still a battery issues, but at that point not be able to prove that's the way it was delivered...

Thanks for the advise, will reach out to the dealership.

Last edited by mstrmoo; 03-09-2023 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:38 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by mstrmoo
I hate the auto start/stop. I've always turned it off in my previous cars, and will do so with this one.

That being said I do expect it to be working on a CPO. I don't want to wait for "warmer temperatures" like suggested by the sales rep, then find out that it's still a battery issues, but at that point not be able to prove that's the way it was delivered...

Thanks for the advise, will reach out to the dealership.
Are batteries covered under CPO? If not, why bother worrying about this issue, which you don't even care about?
Start stop functionality is based on 11 variables; the battery charge and its ability to support the vehicle functions, is just one of them.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:51 PM
mstrmoo
Track Day

Originally Posted by garrett376
Are batteries covered under CPO? If not, why bother worrying about this issue, which you don't even care about?
Start stop functionality is based on 11 variables; the battery charge and its ability to support the vehicle functions, is just one of them.
When picking up CPO, I'd expect everything to be working. Start/stop is not working... Is it a stretch to say this should be working on a CPO even if it's a battery issue? Whether or not I use the feature should be irrelevant. A bad battery could affect other things as well.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:15 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

Since the instrument cluster tells you Start Stop won't activate under the present conditions, like it is doing, without any faults registering, means it is working. (and that's what the dealer will go based off of, also) If the battery charge level, or one of the other 10 prerequisites is not satisfied, then it won't activate. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, from a warranty standpoint.

There is a method to assess battery condition to warrant its replacement, which the dealer (or even the auto parts store) uses to see if a battery is bad; whether Start Stop functions at a certain point in time, is not one of them.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:29 PM
mstrmoo
Track Day

Originally Posted by garrett376
Since the instrument cluster tells you Start Stop won't activate under the present conditions, like it is doing, without any faults registering, means it is working. (and that's what the dealer will go based off of, also) If the battery charge level, or one of the other 10 prerequisites is not satisfied, then it won't activate. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, from a warranty standpoint.

There is a method to assess battery condition to warrant its replacement, which the dealer (or even the auto parts store) uses to see if a battery is bad; whether Start Stop functions at a certain point in time, is not one of them.
Hmm ok, that makes sense.

I'll re-access tomorrow morning.

Maybe I'm nit picking. I'm new to the brand, so nervous about everything.
Old 03-10-2023, 04:28 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 240 Posts

I don't think you are nit picking. I would expect it to work. Especially if you just bought it AND has cpo. I would make them fix it then promptly turn it off.
lml999 (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 05:27 AM
GTCharlie
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

My battery was replaced during CPO make ready repairs, so it is an item that needs to meet certain specifications.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:38 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
I don't think you are nit picking. I would expect it to work. Especially if you just bought it AND has cpo. I would make them fix it then promptly turn it off.
Agreed. If you paid more than two-fiddy for the Cayenne, you should get one that's flawless. (That's kinda the promise of CPO, right?)
Old 03-10-2023, 09:43 AM
mstrmoo
Track Day

Battery is 12.0 this morning. Normal?
Old 03-10-2023, 10:10 AM
carrera
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no, should be reading 14.0 or more
battery was one of the items replaced on my CPO and should have been on yours.
chase the dealer down for a new battery
weak battery is your problem

Quick Reply: Auto start/stop not working