Sponsored By:

Help - Replacing AC Blower Motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 04:14 PM
awaschka
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Help - Replacing AC Blower Motor

I am trying to follow the excellent DIYs on replacing the AC blower motor. As usual with me, I can't figure out how to release the electrical connectors. I am working on the vent ducts on the passenger side. I have pulled the vents but I don't see an obvious release tab on the connector and I can't get them separated just pulling. I don't want to force it and break something. I assume I will have the same problem with the other connectors when I get to them.

Thanks for any guidance!
Old 04-17-2023, 08:38 PM
awaschka
Instructor

Screwed up my courage and played around with them. I figured the little stainless clips were involved, and finally figured out to use a dental pick and push on the little tab in the slot on the wide side of the connector. I had to push really harder than I thought I should, but it worked. The connectors disengaged. On with the project!
Old 04-17-2023, 09:34 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Nice, I got to this thread late.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:48 PM
awaschka
Instructor

Well, I just got to the next problem. I can't get the glove box out. It seems like something is holding it at the rear (front of the car). The video I looked at said you just have to move it around and pull it out. Mine seems pretty solidly connected to the car at the rear. I have pulled the three torx screws on the front and the one on the side, but the most movement I can get is to drop the front an inch or so. Even if I wanted to, I can't now get the pins aligned with the sockets to put it back.

What am I missing?
Old 04-17-2023, 11:31 PM
awaschka
Instructor

Default Cayenne Forums Had the Answer

Originally Posted by awaschka
Well, I just got to the next problem. I can't get the glove box out. It seems like something is holding it at the rear (front of the car). The video I looked at said you just have to move it around and pull it out. Mine seems pretty solidly connected to the car at the rear. I have pulled the three torx screws on the front and the one on the side, but the most movement I can get is to drop the front an inch or so. Even if I wanted to, I can't now get the pins aligned with the sockets to put it back.

What am I missing?
Everything I found mentioned only 4 screws, 3 top and 1 on the side. Cayenne Forums had a post showing two more on the bottom front.
EDIT: Unfortunately, although the original post was about a 2016 Cayenne, the reply was about a 2011. I can't find any more screws on my car. Still can't get the glove box out.
2nd EDIT: They were there, I just couldn't see them. With them out, the glove box essentially fell out.

Last edited by awaschka; 04-18-2023 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Referenced post not for 958.2
Old 04-18-2023, 02:08 AM
awaschka
Instructor

Default .....Until It Ran Out of Cable....

Everything I found mentioned only 4 screws, 3 top and 1 on the side. Cayenne Forums had a post showing two more on the bottom front.
EDIT: Unfortunately, although the original post was about a 2016 Cayenne, the reply was about a 2011. I can't find any more screws on my car. Still can't get the glove box out.
2nd EDIT: They were there, I just couldn't see them. With them out, the glove box essentially fell out.
Why do you suppose the locking mechanism on every connector has to be unique? The current problem is the 2-wire connector on what I suspect is the glove box open switch at the very right side of the glove box. The YouTube video guy just grabs it and pulls it off. He must have broken the connector while prepping for the video. I think there is a release on the side of the connector facing forward but I don't have enough room to get a pick in the lock and push the connector out.
Old 04-18-2023, 12:31 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Al,

for my 958.1, the procedure I outlined goes in from underneath by removing the footwell cover and does not require R&R of the glove box. I am not fond of working on my back as it arcs over the door sill, but it is just a few minutes. Whether you remove the glove box or not, all screws for the blower motor assembly R&R are accessed from underneath. I am assuming that there was not a major change to he 958.2

If you stay your course, AllDataDIY has a procedure for the glovebox R&R Vehicle » Body and Frame » Interior Moulding / Trim » Glove Compartment » Service and Repair » 681519 Removing and Installing Glove Compartment

Mind sharing where you are located?

Last edited by CAVU; 04-18-2023 at 12:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ripking (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 01:44 PM
awaschka
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAVU
Al,

for my 958.1, the procedure I outlined goes in from underneath by removing the footwell cover and does not require R&R of the glove box. I am not fond of working on my back as it arcs over the door sill, but it is just a few minutes. Whether you remove the glove box or not, all screws for the blower motor assembly R&R are accessed from underneath. I am assuming that there was not a major change to he 958.2

If you stay your course, AllDataDIY has a procedure for the glovebox R&R Vehicle » Body and Frame » Interior Moulding / Trim » Glove Compartment » Service and Repair » 681519 Removing and Installing Glove Compartment

Mind sharing where you are located?
Thanks. I saw your post, but I have limited shoulder flexibility and thought I could use the extra space in front. I am also pretty broad shouldered and it is tight trying to get between the seat platform and the door opening. I may have to just put the glove box back and try it your way if I can't get the connector off of the switch.

I am in Fleming Island, FL which is South of Orange Park, across the St. Johns River from Jacksonville.
Old 04-18-2023, 02:02 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Al,

Thought that might be the case. As my spirit remains young, my body is telling me otherwise. Wish I was near ya as I would offer to assist.

My wife and I travel to the Tampa area for a couple of weeks in early fall in the 911. Really like FL in the fall.
Old 04-18-2023, 02:37 PM
awaschka
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAVU
Al,

Thought that might be the case. As my spirit remains young, my body is telling me otherwise. Wish I was near ya as I would offer to assist.

My wife and I travel to the Tampa area for a couple of weeks in early fall in the 911. Really like FL in the fall.
Thanks for the thought. We have a place in NC that we try to spend summers and early fall at. Not getting away very early this year. A neighbor backed into my drivers side door. Can't get into the body shop until the end of June.
I have 3 subscribed threads. One is mine. The other two are yours.
I meme I saw yesterday said I wish I could move around without sound effects.

Al
Old 04-18-2023, 04:27 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I am pretty broad shouldered and went from underneath too. It definitely required a lot of contorting my back to make it work but was able to get it out and a new one in without taking the dash out. I'm in my late 30s though, if I were older it probably wouldn't have been quite so easy (it still wasn't!).
Old 04-18-2023, 08:12 PM
awaschka
Instructor

Default Nothing Like Having the Right Tool

4 pick set from HD. Right angle pick popped it right out.

Wonder what the next problem will be.....

Better than $900-$1200 to have it done, I guess....
Old 04-18-2023, 09:18 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

my local p dealership wanted just under $2000 to replace the blower! I did it for about 10% of the cost... crazy.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:01 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ripking
my local p dealership wanted just under $2000 to replace the blower! I did it for about 10% of the cost... crazy.
AGREE...Absolutely crazy! Porsche dealers are viewing the "standard" hours (aka warranty reimbursement hours) as advisory. This job: at $463.60 for the blower, 2 standard hours at $200/hour and "shop fees" should come out at $1100-ish.

I wonder if the tech is only getting the 2 standard hours and the shop keeps the remainder of the charged labor hours? I am a capitalist at heart but there are some things that move the needle of my moral compass the wrong direction.

It took me about 2 hours to do the job because I took it slow, step by step, took pictures, etc. I suspect a tech that has done a couple of these walks to the tool box, grabs the only tools needed, opens the passenger door and in less than 30' is driving the car out of the shop AND should get paid for the 2 hours because his experience earned it. The second longest thing that might happen is waiting at the parts counter.

Rennlist, AllDataDIY and my favorite PIWIS-like tool have been a blessing.

Last edited by CAVU; 04-20-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:07 PM
awaschka
Instructor

Default and the next shoe has dropped......

4 pick set from HD. Right angle pick popped it right out.

Wonder what the next problem will be.....

Better than $900-$1200 to have it done, I guess....
Opened shipping box (which looked fine) for the filter and blower but the blower box had a tear in the side. One of the unused mounting clips was broken, giving me cause for concern for the welfare of the blower. I sent it back. That gives me a couple of days to wrestle the old one out.

Last edited by awaschka; 04-19-2023 at 05:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by awaschka:
CAVU (04-19-2023), RAudi Driver (04-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Help - Replacing AC Blower Motor