Sponsored By:

Air suspension and off roading

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 12:03 AM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Air suspension and off roading

How do I keep the car from automatically lowering back down if I get to a stretch that I can pickup some speed?

I searched but didn't find anything out the manual is out in the car and I just don't feel like going all the way out to the garage to read it.

anyone have some input?
2014 S with air
Old 09-09-2023, 08:54 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by jaustin
I searched but didn't find anything out the manual is out in the car and I just don't feel like going all the way out to the garage to read it.

anyone have some input?
2014 S with air

@jaustin Sure...two things...first, if you're going fast enough for the suspension to reset, the engineers at Porsche have decided that you don't need to be in raised mode.

Second...if you're going to outsource the work to your forum-mates, please don't broadcast your laziness.

Doesn't everyone have a "reference" manual in their library?
Old 09-09-2023, 09:22 AM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Well curiosity got the best of me so I went out and took a look last night and found this information out but I didn't find it totally clear what would happen.
From the Porsche bible book of Cayenne
Terrain 1 is active up to 50 mph
Terrain 2 is active up to around 20mph
Can be found on page 209-210ish
I'm still confused if it will actually lower me or just give me a warning in Terrain 2?
Old 09-09-2023, 09:26 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 515 Posts

@jaustin The suspension will lower automatically when you exceed the speed rating for the specific height. It will not return to the higher setting when you slow down.
Old 09-09-2023, 11:10 AM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Okay, wasn't sure if it would go back up or just stay down in the terrain 1 mode.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:29 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,757 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
@jaustin The suspension will lower automatically when you exceed the speed rating for the specific height. It will not return to the higher setting when you slow down.
Wait up, I do think it returns to the higher preset mode. When I'm blasting down the highway, the car will lower and when I get off the highway, IIRC, it returns the normal mode. Damn now I gotta go drive the car to check it.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:54 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Wait up, I do think it returns to the higher preset mode. When I'm blasting down the highway, the car will lower and when I get off the highway, IIRC, it returns the normal mode. Damn now I gotta go drive the car to check it.
You're right; he's talking about off-road mode: If you're in high level 2, and exceed 19mph, it will go down to high level 1, but it will not go back to high level 2 on its own once you go back below 19mph.
Old 09-09-2023, 07:06 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,757 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
You're right; he's talking about off-road mode: If you're in high level 2, and exceed 19mph, it will go down to high level 1, but it will not go back to high level 2 on its own once you go back below 19mph.
LOL, I've never been off road in the cayenne. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Old 09-09-2023, 08:19 PM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

I guess I will need to do some testing and report back. The off-roading I'm talking about its more like forestry service roads that are in decent shape in the summer/fall.
Old 09-10-2023, 03:02 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

LOL, I've never been off road in the cayenne. 🤷🏽‍♂️
You’re missing out on one of the fun things the Cayenne can do really well!
Old 09-11-2023, 09:54 AM
FormerRotor
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Has anyone ever looked into where the speed/height limits are coded into the car? I often thought about this with the old CD but never dig into it. We tended to drive that everywhere on Terrain 1 and it was always a nuisance that it would t return to it after getting back below 50 mph.

Would love to
- Adjust the default height of each height setting.

In absence of this, wouldn’t mind…
- Bumping the Terrain 2 cutoff up to 45-55, and Bumping Terrain 1 cutoff up to ~90 then just manually adjusting if wanting to lower for highway travel.
- Or ideally: figuring out if there’s any way to get it to return to the previous (taller) setting after hitting a certain min speed.

For now…
- I may just settle by adjusting all ride heights up 1 to 1.5 in. But I wish there were a way to do this without raising the low 1 (sport) and loading modes.
The following users liked this post:
jaustin (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 12:47 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I believe that if you maintain 80 (or maybe 85?) mph for more than 10 minutes, the suspension will lower itself from Normal to down one level and then will return to normal once you drop below that speed.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:10 PM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

You could get some adjustable links which will "trick" the suspension into thinking that it's at a different height. These are lowering links, but as long as you can find some that are adjustable in both directions they should do the trick: https://www.nickscarblog.com/reviews...st-motorsports
Old 09-11-2023, 05:51 PM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FormerRotor
Has anyone ever looked into where the speed/height limits are coded into the car? I often thought about this with the old CD but never dig into it. We tended to drive that everywhere on Terrain 1 and it was always a nuisance that it would t return to it after getting back below 50 mph.

Would love to
- Adjust the default height of each height setting.

In absence of this, wouldn’t mind…
- Bumping the Terrain 2 cutoff up to 45-55, and Bumping Terrain 1 cutoff up to ~90 then just manually adjusting if wanting to lower for highway travel.
- Or ideally: figuring out if there’s any way to get it to return to the previous (taller) setting after hitting a certain min speed.

For now…
- I may just settle by adjusting all ride heights up 1 to 1.5 in. But I wish there were a way to do this without raising the low 1 (sport) and loading modes.
Yes, This would be a very cool thing to be able to change.

Quick Reply: Air suspension and off roading