Sponsored By:

Cayenne Diesel Active Regen

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 12:16 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Cayenne Diesel Active Regen

I got a DPF CEL the other day and my dealer is telling me that they have to perform an active regen on the diesel before determining that the DPF is bad and needs replacing. The DPF replacement would be covered under my CPO but they’re telling me that the regen isn’t covered since it’s a maintenance item. They quoted me $1k to do it which seems ridiculous. Anyone have a dealer perform an active regen? If so, how much was it? Also, is there a way to do an active regen with a regular obd2 scanner?

Last edited by GBX; 12-03-2023 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 06:58 AM
marktomsp
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue, my local shop, which specializes in European Cars, charge a total of $303 for the diagnostic test and regen. Fingers crossed it’s been good since then. (Don’t know about forcing a regen with OBD, I would also be interested how to do this, I have a Durametric).
Old 12-04-2023, 11:48 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 163 Posts

I would search on. Youtube. I recall seeing a manual regen on a diesel Cayenne. Here are the search results.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:26 AM
mnwild
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had this code since the summer, I even replaced my DPF along with pressure sensor, heat sensor, etc and still get the code even if I clear it. I cleaned the ERG. I forced regen too when I first got the code and didn't make a difference, my soot levels were low and regens were running. Code may not be DPF related.

As far as $1000 for a regen, seems like a lot. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two max, plug in PIWIS and run through the menu, actual regen I think is 30 mins if I recall and that's it. Done. As far as I know, reg ODB2 can't do it but there are some tools you can buy that can but the dealer is going to want to do it and see the results for the warranty work so you are stuck with them, is my guess.

Dealer's charge a lot for things like this, I installed a factory tow module myself and wanted them to activate, they told me prices start at $500 to do that, which is 2 hours work at $250/hr. I watched someone do it with PIWIS and it took about 20 mins.

Please do update with what the dealer finds.

Last edited by mnwild; 12-05-2023 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:32 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

took the car to another dealer today. They immediately determined it needed the DPF without doing a regen, and also an adblue injector.

And guess what, they had a DPF in stock!!! 😱

Should have the car back and all fixed tomorrow!!
Old 12-20-2023, 07:22 PM
supertreeman
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

NIce! Id stay away from the first dealer. Total BS and all should've been covered including regen.
Old 12-23-2023, 11:27 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 163 Posts

How does one clean an EGR valve?
Old 12-27-2023, 12:44 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Can't you "force" an active regen by just taking a long road trip at highway speeds so the car does one itself?
Old 12-29-2023, 09:20 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Can't you "force" an active regen by just taking a long road trip at highway speeds so the car does one itself?
I was wondering this myself.

Also, how do you know when the car is in the process of doing a regen on the highway???
Old 12-30-2023, 03:43 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSDVC
I was wondering this myself.

Also, how do you know when the car is in the process of doing a regen on the highway???
you feel it. total loss of power. Light flashes on dash. Feels like limp mode.

I was commuting 85 miles each way for about 2 years and it only happened once so not sure you can force it.
Old 12-31-2023, 08:29 AM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
you feel it. total loss of power. Light flashes on dash. Feels like limp mode.

I was commuting 85 miles each way for about 2 years and it only happened once so not sure you can force it.
Geeze, that doesn't sound normal. In my last diesel (a 2015 VW GSW TDI), when the car was doing a regen, the mpg's would drop off quite a bit and she would show sign of a slight increase in engine temp. If I shut her off in the middle of it the fans would run for quite a while. Also, she would smell the burning oil. I learned the signs of the car doing a regen and would keep her running until she was done. On my CD, I have taken trips and gone 4 hours on the highway without stopping, but didn't see any signs of a regen taking place. And this was a week and a half of nothing but short, 10 minute trips around town.

I have never experienced a lose of power or flashing dash light(s), so my CD jacked up or am I missing something (like the CD actually doing a regen)?
Old 01-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
took the car to another dealer today. They immediately determined it needed the DPF without doing a regen, and also an adblue injector.

And guess what, they had a DPF in stock!!! 😱

Should have the car back and all fixed tomorrow!!
Glad the second dealer took care of it. It is INSANE the first dealer wanted to charge you for a regen. If your CEL was on it has to be covered (as per the Dieselgate warranty).
Old 01-03-2024, 12:49 AM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SSDVC
I have never experienced a lose of power or flashing dash light(s), so my CD jacked up or am I missing something (like the CD actually doing a regen)?
Never seen a flashing light signifying a regen on my 2016 either.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:47 PM
Gforce1108
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That code is more indicative of a broken DPF, not a clogged one. Regen won't help a cracked DPF. That's the first delay tactic dealers employ when they don't want to deal with the replacement under warranty.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:39 AM
Rectorbill
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to do a regen on my CD and I spoke at length with my dealer's service manager about this. He claims they charge between 1 -2 hours to do a regen but it can take them 4-5 hours. He says the Porsche software requires that someone stay in the car as input are needed during the regen. I mentioned to him that I had just driven the car over an hour each way at 70mph before I got the regen code. He said I would need a considerably longer trip. Fact or BS?

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel Active Regen