Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Front Seat Removal - Should be easy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 04:17 PM
STI_MECE
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Front Seat Removal - Should be easy?

New member here, I need to get this seat removed to replaced the pyrofuse that has popped. The car had a minor finder bender in the back, air bags didnt deploy but it was enough to pop the pyrofuse and set an open circuit code for it.

here is my issue....The driver seat will not move far enough forward for me to gain access to the rear bolts. I can move the seat forward and backwards perfectly fine

Below is a picture to show the max forward position I can get the car in. There is nothing in the tracks.

Old 12-19-2023, 05:15 PM
STI_MECE
AutoX

tried re calibrating the driver side seat no change.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:17 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Can you access it through the hole in the seat bracket? Not close to mine atm but recently had the seat removed for a new battery without issue.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:20 PM
STI_MECE
AutoX

Originally Posted by luciano136
Can you access it through the hole in the seat bracket? Not close to mine atm but recently had the seat removed for a new battery without issue.
No the M10 triple square is too large to fit through that hole at the top.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:24 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STI_MECE
No the M10 triple square is too large to fit through that hole at the top.
Maybe check YouTube for battery replacement. The seat removal is part of the process; hopefully that sheds some light.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:29 PM
STI_MECE
AutoX

Fist video on youtube. Damn seat is in a bind, to be honest, I actually run a single man shop and was trying to help this customer get the car going. Seat removal is easy until it isnt. Should have been a five minute process. I checked the tracks there is nothing in there stopping them, the passenger side does the exact same thing.

Old 12-19-2023, 05:33 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Odd, I'd check mine but not home. Hopefully someone can shed some light.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:27 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm not sure how you can partially move the seats with the pyrofuse blown. When it blows - the whole car is power-less.
But I had the same issue with the seats when I couldn't move them forward enough to get to the bolt. Relearn eventually made it work. I don't recall if I was relearning the most rear position or most forward position, but eventually it was moving fully forward.

Information for someone that has a power-less vehicle with a blown pyrofuse underneath the driver's seat here is a trick how to move the seats.
Open the side cover on the left side of the dash. There is a fuse box. In the fuse box there is one 40 amp fuse on the top right side. It usually has a clear lid. Pop the clear lid with the screwdriver (you can reinstall it later). Connect the positive battery contact to the fuse with a alligator clips. Connect the negative battery wire to the car ground (latch on the B-pillar is the best spot. Then you can move the seats.

Last edited by HETPE3B; 12-19-2023 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 09:47 AM
STI_MECE
AutoX

I have a code here somewhere for an open pyrofuse circuit. Curent symptom is it doesnt crank, all the lights in the dash come on, but when I crank it nothing happens. The customer has approved authorization to diagnose the no crank condition. Based on my findings so far, I noticed the starter relay was not getting its control signal. I already tested the control wire for a short to ground or an open and everything was fine. After I realized my control signal was not getting sent to the starter relay I decided to back track alittle further and see what could be the root cause. The open circuit for the pyrofuse seemed like a resonable area to start. I do not work on Porsches regularly.

The seats do move though. Just not far enough forward. Its weird. When I move the seat to all the way to back, it moves really quickly and then you can tell it hits a positive stop. But when I push the seat to the front, you hear the motor slows down to the point where it doesn't have enough power to move it forward. The passenger seat does the same thing

Old 12-20-2023, 09:56 AM
HETPE3B
Racer

If it's mechanical issue with the seats - I would assume coins in the tracks. Sometimes may be tricky to see them. Car ever been flooded? Possible rust on the long screws (seat is moving on)?
Old 12-20-2023, 10:00 AM
STI_MECE
AutoX

Ive checked the tracks too everything looks fine. I spent about 20 minutes with my head under the rails looking at the seat go back and forth and cant see anything out of the ordinary. What bothers me most is the passenger side does it too. SO I am missing something obvious. I cant imagine doing a relearn one more time on the seats will do anything. This customer has been known to bring me headache cars so I was already pretty hesitant on this one before because he "likes to do work himself" before he brings them to me. I am about to call it on this one.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:11 AM
HETPE3B
Racer

Did you try to "help" the seats to move forward by pushing them from the back?
Old 12-20-2023, 10:16 AM
STI_MECE
AutoX

Originally Posted by HETPE3B
Did you try to "help" the seats to move forward by pushing them from the back?
Yes. Tried that too.

To be honest, I am just going to chalk it up as I am an idiot, I've tried everything that makes sense to try and get it go further and I missing something obvious that I just don't see it.

I thought it might have been a weak battery so I put a screw driver beneath the seat to some terminal below it and grounded the other side and gave it about 100 amps of current, tried moving the seat, and no difference. But I did get a voltage reading when I did it so that was good to see I was able to charge the battery at least that way

I still believe some fuse below the seat has blown because whenever I tried charging the battery from under the hood, it says 0 volts which tells me there is an open circuit between that positive terminals under the hood and the ground.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:18 AM
steinec
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It can't be the pyrofuse or the seat wouldn't move at all. I've had to do the re-learn multiple times to get both the travel and the memory buttons to work. All the way back, all the way forward, then to the mid-point, then all the way up, then all the way down. Maybe try choosing a different mid-point to stop at before going up and down ? I'd try setting the midpoint further forward. GL.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:28 AM
carlos85
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can charge the battery from the post and positive terminal under the bonnet there's no need to wedge things under the seat. You will also be able to measure the battery voltage etc. from there... As others have said if the pyro fuse has gone then there wouldn't be any electric to move the seat in the first place would there?

Quick Reply: Front Seat Removal - Should be easy?