958 4.8 to 4.8Turbo Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 05:38 PM
YWGPorscheguy
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 958 4.8 to 4.8Turbo Swap

Hey guys,
I am a new member here, but not new to cars and swaps. I do own a shop in Winnipeg specializing in BMW/MB etc. and have performed many engine/ generation power plant modification. What brings me here is the fact I have just received a Cayenne S with the infamous CYL 8 scorching on the cylinder walls. Now before everyone comes in with the smart comments "sell it buy a Turbo S " this that etc., I got the car in mint condition for FREE. I own a shop so I have the tools and labor to do this and manufacture what I need to do. The 4.8 Non turbo is around 6-7K Canadian for a used engine and the turbo with the same mileage is around the same price. The place i am buying the donor car is including the following
- Complete long block assembly and all accessories (manifolds, injectors, coil etc)
- Complete turbo system ( i might send them for rebuild or upgrade with a pure turbo stage 1 not sure yet)
- Complete Engine wiring harness and secondary wiring harness
- Custom downpips, intercoolers etc.
I think this basically covers the list of maybe all thigs that i need. Just want to know if anyone has done this before OR if i am missing anything else.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:08 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by YWGPorscheguy
Hey guys,
I am a new member here, but not new to cars and swaps. I do own a shop in Winnipeg specializing in BMW/MB etc. and have performed many engine/ generation power plant modification. What brings me here is the fact I have just received a Cayenne S with the infamous CYL 8 scorching on the cylinder walls. Now before everyone comes in with the smart comments "sell it buy a Turbo S " this that etc., I got the car in mint condition for FREE. I own a shop so I have the tools and labor to do this and manufacture what I need to do. The 4.8 Non turbo is around 6-7K Canadian for a used engine and the turbo with the same mileage is around the same price. The place i am buying the donor car is including the following
- Complete long block assembly and all accessories (manifolds, injectors, coil etc)
- Complete turbo system ( i might send them for rebuild or upgrade with a pure turbo stage 1 not sure yet)
- Complete Engine wiring harness and secondary wiring harness
- Custom downpips, intercoolers etc.
I think this basically covers the list of maybe all thigs that i need. Just want to know if anyone has done this before OR if i am missing anything else.

There's a thread on the 957 forum where a guy details swapping a 958 turbo engine into 957. Reach ou to him as he maybe able to give you some guidance.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:32 PM
YWGPorscheguy
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
There's a thread on the 957 forum where a guy details swapping a 958 turbo engine into 957. Reach ou to him as he maybe able to give you some guidance.
sweet! Just saw the post . Fairly straight forward .

She’s going under the knife tomorrow
Old 02-14-2024, 07:57 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

sweet! Just saw the post . Fairly straight forward .

She’s going under the knife tomorrow
But rememeber now that was a turbo to tubo swap so engine mounts for one are the same. However think you'll encounter that difference.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:32 PM
YWGPorscheguy
Cruisin'

But remember now that was a turbo to tubo swap so engine mounts for one are the same. However think you'll encounter that difference.
So just looking at some things already which is very good news
- Engine mounts are the exact same
- Fuel pump is the exact same
- Air Cond is the same
- Power steering is the same
- Ignition coils are the same
- Most sensors are the same ( minus obvious turbo ones)
This is starting to look more and more promising to be completely honest. I will have to change the front bumper for cooling and all the plastics etc of course.. Overall it actually seems to be a very straight forward direct swap without much work. Might change the cluster for it to say "turbo" but i know i can also code in the boost display .

Does anyone know a very good site to get aftermarket charge pipes intercoolers. I might as well upgrade them while I am going to be in there.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:41 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

So just looking at some things already which is very good news
- Engine mounts are the exact same
- Fuel pump is the exact same
- Air Cond is the same
- Power steering is the same
- Ignition coils are the same
- Most sensors are the same ( minus obvious turbo ones)
This is starting to look more and more promising to be completely honest. I will have to change the front bumper for cooling and all the plastics etc of course.. Overall it actually seems to be a very straight forward direct swap without much work. Might change the cluster for it to say "turbo" but i know i can also code in the boost display .

Does anyone know a very good site to get aftermarket charge pipes intercoolers. I might as well upgrade them while I am going to be in there.
If the mounts are the same why does everyone say it's and engine out job to change on the TTS while it is much easier on the NA cars? Just curios.

@Petza914 could point you in the direction of intercoolers.

Last edited by TRINITONY; 02-15-2024 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:54 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Is this for you or a flip?😁
Old 02-15-2024, 08:09 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,188 Likes on 3,945 Posts

If the mounts are the same why does everyone say it's and engine out job to change on the TTS while it is much easier on the NA cars? Just curios.

FVD sells larger, all aluminum intercoolers and what I run in my 09 CTTS.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:47 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

Turbos are in the way. Can't get to the mounts with the engine in the bay, too tight. On the NA is easier, still not great
The following users liked this post:
TRINITONY (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 11:55 AM
YWGPorscheguy
Cruisin'

For me. Just building a shop car for fun. Just realized another thing since I have a S bumper on it , i need to upgrade to a Turbo S bumper. Seems like wreckers also have the Ptax. 2500.0Cad for a bumper cover seems to be a bit on the Ferrari owners side.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:53 PM
YWGPorscheguy
Cruisin'

Small Update its here!
Small Update the monster is here only with 40K original KM Although one thing i am not too pleased with is they took the manifolds off....
Old 02-22-2024, 10:24 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Op,

Is the transfer case for the S and Turbo S the same part number?

Same question for the tranny.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:42 PM
YWGPorscheguy
Cruisin'

According to my research yes. In fact i did find something very odd that makes no sense to me yet, but apparently the engine harness is the same for the 4.8 and 4.8 NA which for me does not make sense. But then again it would make sense because if the turbo is just ECM controlled it would make use of all the sensors with a different algorithm. If that is the case where its just a difference in software then this will be wonderful. Again there will be only one way to find out once i pull it all apart.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:46 PM
YWGPorscheguy
Cruisin'

Old 02-22-2024, 10:46 PM
YWGPorscheguy
Cruisin'

Current situation 402 pages of diagrams and part numbers trying to figure out everything i need

Quick Reply: 958 4.8 to 4.8Turbo Swap