Sponsored By:

Diesels on BaT

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 07:02 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Diesels on BaT

Anyone else notice that Bring a Trailer is “flooding” the market with Cayenne diesels? There are 6 live now and 16 more that have sold this month (March) and it’s only 3/19. I’ve never seen anything like this on BaT! What’s going on??
The following users liked this post:
Monetizer (03-23-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:40 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One hypothesis is that the high prices they are selling for, at least before the rush, simply spurred more people to list theirs ("oh wow I can get that much for my 8+ year old vehicle?").

I've been looking at them on bat religiously and also bid on a few of them. Ultimately, I bought one from a private seller.

Another theory is that the 2015's and 2016's will run out of dieselgate warranty so, perhaps now is the time to sell for whatever perceived premium that warranty accounts for.

Also could be awareness. Bat is viewed by a lot of people and once someone posted the production numbers the #rare effect might have kicked in

I have to admit, it took me a long time to converge on what I wanted, bouncing between cayenne turbo and the diesel for half a year. To me, diesel is this magic lightly processed fluid we pump from the ground that gives incredible range and torque.

What I really miss though, is my 1986 944 Turbo (where I started on Rennlist 20 years ago!). I need to find that one so I can tow it around with a CD

Last edited by Type_LT; 03-19-2024 at 07:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Type_LT:
Ervw711 (04-02-2024), WhoDat996tt (04-01-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 10:54 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

Dealers recognize they can pick up a Cayenne that is basically a base model at very low cost, and right now people will pay a premium.

Based on the questions asked in the comments on BaT Cayenne Diesel auctions, it seems the majority do not recognize that the Cayenne diesel is not the stereotypical diesel of old that will last for 300,000 miles, or whatever moniker is that is often touted. If it ever makes it anywhere close to that far, it will require someone who doesn't mind visiting and battling with the dealer to cover warranty repairs while it is under warranty, and doesn't mind the constant dribble of emissions control issues that are very expensive to repair if you can't do it yourself. And those issues are on top of the usual Cayenne issues that occur over time and are also expensive to repair.

As anyone can notice, Cayenne diesel-related issues make up a significant number of posts on Rennlist, whether it's fuel availability, oil leaking issues like RMS or oil pans, EGRs getting clogged, coolant lines leaking, DPF and regen issues, DEF issues... People on BaT either don't know about that reality, likely because the comments are usually from other supportive owners, but once these are out of warranty, the market will pass and the crafty used car sellers will find the next model that creates high profit margins, and owners will be left with Cayennes that can hopefully get fuel, get parts, and pass emissions, so they can be enjoyed!
Old 03-20-2024, 01:01 PM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

^ I think I'm waiting for that period and ill either swap out my v8 or keep it and just put a diesel into play for longer trips.

I was tempted to bid on that green one lol...
Old 03-22-2024, 02:42 PM
dynamiceric
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Dealers recognize they can pick up a Cayenne that is basically a base model at very low cost, and right now people will pay a premium.

Based on the questions asked in the comments on BaT Cayenne Diesel auctions, it seems the majority do not recognize that the Cayenne diesel is not the stereotypical diesel of old that will last for 300,000 miles, or whatever moniker is that is often touted. If it ever makes it anywhere close to that far, it will require someone who doesn't mind visiting and battling with the dealer to cover warranty repairs while it is under warranty, and doesn't mind the constant dribble of emissions control issues that are very expensive to repair if you can't do it yourself. And those issues are on top of the usual Cayenne issues that occur over time and are also expensive to repair.

As anyone can notice, Cayenne diesel-related issues make up a significant number of posts on Rennlist, whether it's fuel availability, oil leaking issues like RMS or oil pans, EGRs getting clogged, coolant lines leaking, DPF and regen issues, DEF issues... People on BaT either don't know about that reality, likely because the comments are usually from other supportive owners, but once these are out of warranty, the market will pass and the crafty used car sellers will find the next model that creates high profit margins, and owners will be left with Cayennes that can hopefully get fuel, get parts, and pass emissions, so they can be enjoyed!
In the 3 years I've had mine I did:
1) Complete engine out reseal(leaky oil pans and rear timing seals)(warranty)
2) Engine Oil Cooler Valley Reseal(DIY)
3) DEF Tank Heater(warranty)
4) DPF Filter replacement(warranty)

Once the warranty is expired, these are very expensive to get these items done. I'm crossing my fingers that I got the bulk of the expensive service out of the way. Outside of that it's a wonderful car. Awesome range, great towing capability.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:42 PM
cmoreau
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I've noticed that also. I'm sure there is a lot that comes into play on BaT's part, and it may not really be their responsibility to choose who's gets listed when, other than trying to get them listed as soon as possible after the request. It may just be a matter of all these owners creating listings at approximately the same time. Warranties are expiring, and a lot of these are starting to get some decent mileage on them. With people on BaT knowing how good these vehicles are, and the scarcity of them overall, it would probably be the platform I'd use to sell mine if/when I ever decide to do so.

These are really great vehicles and, of the three my family owns, along with one owned by a close friend, we haven't had any expensive repairs needed. We just run them and do oil changes every 5k miles.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:20 AM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376

@garrett376 I’ve had my 2014 CD Platinum for 10 years now and I can say with some authority that it is far better than a base model because I first bought a base and then traded it in on my CD after owning for about three months because I didn’t like the engine. I hear many performance comparisons to an S model which has more hp but less torque. I’m at just under 140,000 miles now and everything under the hood is completely original except oil, air, fuel filters and a serpantine belt I replaced due to time. The EGR has never been cleaned. I’ve had no leaks of any kind. I had my first mechanical repair last year which was a wheel bearing and, like all Porsches, it was expensive to fix at the dealer. I’ve owned many Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, & Lexus models and the CD is the smoothest, most comfortable and capabale car of them all so I can understand people snapping them up on BAT.

I think the cult following is more due to experiences like mine than for lack of information. I sold a 964 on BAT and follow it regularly finding bidders there to be fairly well informed and very active in the comment section. You’ll see responses there from me on CD questions from time to time. A CD with under 100k miles is becoming a fairly rare bird these days so BAT and those owners are making hay. I do wonder, like another commenter, whether expiring emission fix warranties may also be driving the CD activity. I would caution potential CD buyers that its not a car for short commuting or putting around town; get a gas model for that. It shines for long drives and towing which is how I’ve used mine plus it’s the only car I ever owned that my wife says I can never sell.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mtea:
AbominableR (04-01-2024), WhoDat996tt (04-01-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 12:53 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 584 Posts

I don’t get some of these comments. My CTD is about to turn 200K miles and it’s been the most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned, pulls like a freight train, and averages over 35mpg

No leaks whatsoever, and only part I’ve ever replaced outside regular maintenance has been battery/VR

AFWIW the “diesel gate” junk I just ignore and clear whatever silly codes it all throws with a cheap Chinese Foxwell tester every year or so.

Magic car

Last edited by bdronsick; 03-27-2024 at 12:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AbominableR (04-01-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 04:15 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by bdronsick

AFWIW the “diesel gate” junk I just ignore and clear whatever silly codes it all throws with a cheap Chinese Foxwell tester every year or so.

Magic car
My car has a persistent DPF code although the DPF is less than 10,000 miles old. Will the foxwell clear the "permanent" code that my iCarSoft reader is incapable of clearing?
Old 03-27-2024, 04:34 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 584 Posts

My Foxwell NT530 has never met a Porsche code it could not clear. That said there's a first for everything so YMMV. And some codes I've had to repeat the clear process 3 or 4 times; Obama's EPA was very persistent

Quick Reply: Diesels on BaT