Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Low mileage REBUILT or clean high mileage car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 05:02 PM
HOTRDD
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low mileage REBUILT or clean high mileage car?

A bit of a long story but I have two 2016 Cayenne 3.6L base models, same color same condition. BUT

Vehicle #1 will end up with a REBUILT title and only has 50K miles on it.
Vehicle #2 is clean except it has 200K miles on it.

So I am wondering what my best option is here. Should I take the low kms engine / drivetrain and throw it in the high mile car, or take the parts I need off the high mileage car to repair the low mileage damaged one. Is a low mileage “rebuilt” car worth more than a high mileage car with a drivetrain swap?

Thoughts?
Old 04-22-2024, 05:53 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,131 Likes on 431 Posts

Swap into vehicle #2. The rebuilt title will always hurt you regardless of mileage.
The following users liked this post:
roll_the_dice (04-23-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 07:04 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you able to work on the vehicle yourself or are your relying on a shop?

High mileage isn't the only factor. How or what sort of records, TLC or maintenance comes with the two vehicles? All else being equal, I'd take the high mileage beast. Rebuilt not only affects resale, it may also affect your ability to get full coverage insurance too. Either car though, is essentially at the end of their resale curve so both won't be worth much going forward. It's essentially the car you won't worry about if you had to walk away from if it encounters a big repair bill.

Old 04-23-2024, 05:04 PM
HOTRDD
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have access to a full shop and all of the tools so either way it will be more of a project hanging out with the boys than anything else. But I am trying to determine which of the two vehicles I should rebuild. The other one may eventually get rebuilt or sold for parts.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:39 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,131 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTRDD
We have access to a full shop and all of the tools so either way it will be more of a project hanging out with the boys than anything else. But I am trying to determine which of the two vehicles I should rebuild. The other one may eventually get rebuilt or sold for parts.
I would transfer everything that is in good condition to the clean chassis, interior trim (if it matches) drivetrain components etc. Especially if its at a relaxed hangout pace!

Quick Reply: Low mileage REBUILT or clean high mileage car?