Sponsored By:

My planned configuration

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My planned configuration

Turbo Cayenne to be picked up in May 2012. I welcome your suggestions/comments on car configuration as well as places to visit during two weeks in Europe.

Exterior Color White
Premium Package Plus
Two-tone Leather Interior in Umber/Light Tartufo
Trailer Coupling without Removable Ball Joint
Stainless Steel Skid Plate in Front and Rear
Panorama Roof System
Roof Transport System, Rails and Moldings with Matte Aluminum-Look*Finish
Running Boards (so mother can get in easier)
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC)
Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)
8-speed Tiptronic S Inclusive Auto Start Stop Function
Wheel Arch Extensions in Exterior Color
20" Cayenne SportDesign II Wheel*
Wheel Hub Cover with Colored Porsche Crest
17mm Rear Axle Wheel Spacers Exclusive
Summer Performance Tires for 20" Wheels
Cargo Management*
Smoker package (don't smoke but might need no cost lighter for?)
Adaptive Sports Seats with Comfort*Memory Package
Heated Three-spoke Multi-function*Steering Wheel in Walnut*
Extended Grab Handles Trim Package in Walnut
Walnut Interior Package including Selector Lever
Electronic Logbook
Telephone Module
Voice Control
SiriusXMTM Satellite Radio + HD Radio® Receiver

Planned cities are approx 3-4 hrs apart with one day/night stay.

Leipzig
Prague
Wien (Vienna)
Salzburg
Triesen
Montreux
Stutgart
Luxembourg
Brussels
Amsterdam
Hamburg
Copenhagen
Rostock
Leipzig

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:26 PM
vitaman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build and looks like a great trip.
Especially like your wood handles and Walnut Wheel.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:32 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see Italy on your list.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Which White?
IIRC, there was a thread a while back on whites and delays due to paint.

Is this a US spec P!g or will it be living overseas?
Old 01-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

It will be a beautiful car, congrats! With all due respect though, your plan for 14 cities in 2 weeks seems incredibly ambitious even if you're not actually planning to see anything in the cities you're visiting. By the time you check out, find your way out of town (many, like Vienna for example can be a nightmare to get around in) drive the 3-4 hours to your next destination, negotiate traffic, find your new hotel and get checked in, you'll be done for the day. At the least, many of the great venues you might want to see will be closed.

Maybe I'm being presumptuous and you just want to drive from place to place in your new car. If that's the case though, picking smaller towns would keep you out on the road and out of hectic, clogged, European cities that you're not going to be able to actually experience anyway.

If this isn't your first trip and you know exactly what you're doing, my apologies for speaking up. But if it is your first trip, as someone who has been to Europe many times and on some of those occasions has taken tourist delivery from Volvo, Mercedes, BMW, and Porsche (3 times), I wouldn't try to do what you're planning. There are some great things to see in Europe, but your itinerary isn't going to allow you to see them, IMHO. Still a great Cayenne build, however, and good luck whatever you do.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-20-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Default Response to few comments so far.

Vitaman - thanks, without the wood, what would I "knock" on if something good happens?

Enigma Wmn - we've been to northern Italy before as far up as Merano so it was a "been there, done that" consideration. We did avoid France on purpose!

Itc - it's an American spec so it's whatever the white that exists when they build it. I understand they did change a bit. I live in Florida so I want white so I can touch my car or enter the car in the summer.

Mike - I think you are right in what you say. It is very ambitious. I didn't take into consideration fighting/waiting in traffic in the cities. I figured the ride would be good in both the fast autobahns (just to experience the car which I won't have opportunity in the US), and the scenic country and roads especially thru the Alps. Each day (thru Google Earth directions) shows only 3 1/2 to 4 hrs driving per day so I figured there would be time to stop for lunch midway and arrive in the city with enough time to walk around and take in the atmosphere. But I think you are right. The trip up north to Copenhagen may have stretched it too much. I could probably shorten it. I do not have experience driving with exception of northern Italy which wasn't a problem but then again, there were no large cities (we avoided Milan). I welcome further recommendations in that regard. Thanks.

Last edited by Nhirsch; 01-21-2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 01-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nhirsch
Mike - I think you are right in what you say. It is very ambitious. I didn't take into consideration fighting/waiting in traffic in the cities. I figured the ride would be good in both the fast autobahns (just to experience the car which I won't have opportunity in the US), and the scenic country and roads especially thru the Alps. Each day (thru Google Earth directions) shows only 3 1/2 to 4 hrs driving per day so I figured there would be time to stop for lunch midway and arrive in the city with enough time to walk around and take in the atmosphere. But I think you are right. The trip up north to Copenhagen may have stretched it too much. I could probably shorten it. I do not have experience driving with exception of northern Italy which wasn't a problem but then again, there were no large cities (we avoided Milan). I welcome further recommendations in that regard. Thanks.
Nhirsch, I hope I didn't come across as being dismissive of your trip. But having had agonizing experiences driving in traffic choked European cities, negotiating narrow streets seemingly and in some cases literally designed in the Middle Ages with incomprensible direction signage, especially with a brand new car that you're scared to death will get damaged, can be a near-marriage-shattering experience. Just ask my wife. GPS helps, but still it can be nerve wracking. Imagining you trying to do that for 14 straight days, well, I just had to speak up.

I don't have time tonight but tomorrow, but if you'd like, I will forward you a private message, so as not to take up space here, with some thoughts and suggestions that may be helpful.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:01 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Prague, the Grand Bohemia hotel was nice. Valet parking and quaint rooms. Close to just about everything.
I did something similar to your trip in Europe, but it took me 28 days.

When we did Tourist delivery, the Porsche centre loaned us a GPS which was excellent!

Make sure you wash your car and get the bugs off before you drop off. The Werks might not clean her before they ship her.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I don't have time tonight but tomorrow, but if you'd like, I will forward you a private message, so as not to take up space here, with some thoughts and suggestions that may be helpful.
That would be great! My wife will be with me too, so your thoughts are very much under consideration. I also spoke to someone who received a gps from the factory and said it was very very useful. Just wonder why they can't have the one in the car working when I get there?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Originally Posted by RESP
In Prague, the Grand Bohemia hotel was nice. Valet parking and quaint rooms. Close to just about everything.
I did something similar to your trip in Europe, but it took me 28 days.

When we did Tourist delivery, the Porsche centre loaned us a GPS which was excellent!

Make sure you wash your car and get the bugs off before you drop off. The Werks might not clean her before they ship her.
I'm currently booked at Bed and Breakfast U zlaté studny - Prague which has pretty good ratings although I'm not sure about parking/valet. The GPS was highly recommended by someone else too. Just not sure why the one in the car can't be working when I pickup?

good suggestion on washing and maybe waxing car after the trip. thanks.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When in Stuttgart, a visit to the Porsche museum is of utmost importance. If you decide to cross the street to visit the Porsche-owned Zentrum dealership, make sure you buy one of their unique license plate frames for about 5 Euro. It's a great souvenir!

May I also suggest the Mercedes-Benz museum in nearby Stuttgart which has truly amazing exhibits and great architecture. I can go on about the Weissach R&D facility and driving through the Black Forest but then again, you have so many other places to visit....
Old 01-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nhirsch
That would be great! My wife will be with me too, so your thoughts are very much under consideration. I also spoke to someone who received a gps from the factory and said it was very very useful. Just wonder why they can't have the one in the car working when I get there?
I'll send you a message a little later this morning. As for your question on the GPS/NAV, it's hard drive based in the Cayenne. This means it would require reprogramming for the US upon returning your vehicle to the drop off point, as opposed to just replacing a DVD. The logistics involved in doing this post-production is apparently enough of a hassel for Porsche that they decided to offer the portable GPS units instead. This is what I was told, anyway, when I picked up my Carrera in '09.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andy E.
When in Stuttgart, a visit to the Porsche museum is of utmost importance. If you decide to cross the street to visit the Porsche-owned Zentrum dealership, make sure you buy one of their unique license plate frames for about 5 Euro. It's a great souvenir!

May I also suggest the Mercedes-Benz museum in nearby Stuttgart which has truly amazing exhibits and great architecture. I can go on about the Weissach R&D facility and driving through the Black Forest but then again, you have so many other places to visit....
Andy: To see the Porsche museum is why we're stopping and staying in Stuttgart--and the Weissach R&D is a good add-on. I wonder if I should mention that to the Porsche people when I pickup the car in Leipzig? Thanks for suggestion on the license plate--will do! Also the black forest is something we'll drive thru as my father's side originates from that region so I'll get to at least sniff the air of my ancestors! Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'll send you a message a little later this morning. As for your question on the GPS/NAV, it's hard drive based in the Cayenne. This means it would require reprogramming for the US upon returning your vehicle to the drop off point, as opposed to just replacing a DVD. The logistics involved in doing this post-production is apparently enough of a hassel for Porsche that they decided to offer the portable GPS units instead. This is what I was told, anyway, when I picked up my Carrera in '09.
Great Mike. Looking forward to your thoughts. I'll contact my dealer to see if they'll re-program it when they receive it. If they can do that, maybe I can have it ready in Europe for the trip. I'm still 4 months away so I have time to figure this out. Seems Porsche should have a contact to help with these kinds of things.
--Thanks.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

As followup, my dealer informed me there is time to have factory setup car for navigation system in Europe and the dealer will re-program when it arrives in US. Also suggested using a contact at Porsche in GA office for other questions regarding the trip and European delivery program.

Quick Reply: My planned configuration