Re-Finish for Sport Edistion Gloss Black

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Mikek2s
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down Re-Finish for Sport Edistion Gloss Black

Hello all:

Well yesterday I mounted my 18" winter snows and took off the Cayenne 21" Sport Edition Wheels in Gloss Black.

The Cayenne is a 2014 Black GTS.

In my 40 plus years of P-Car ownership I have never had a wheel rash problem.

Without hitting curbs, etc, there are small chunks of the gloss black finish being dinged by normal driving.

I can't stand it and I want to refinish the wheels this winter.

Considering having them powder coated in a non-black finish or just having them completely stripped to a silver poeder coated finish.

Looking for opinions and suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11-16-2015, 02:10 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

How long since you inspected them? Any chance that the damage was done by the tire machine at the tire shop? If they're smallish chips, I'd just touch them up and chalk it up to the price of black wheels. If the paint looks like it's flaking off on its own, you might ask about warranty, but the dealer will just touch up small spots anyway.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:31 PM
Mikek2s
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I inspect weekly , the gloss black just chips to easy, vehicle is coo but I'm rash is not covered.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:44 PM
444cayenne
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, I have gloss black wheels on my VW T5 van and they can suffer stone chips but its normal gloss paint, however my cayenne has gloss black sport techno wheels, but they're powder coated and it's definitely 10x more durable than paint and just as glossy, suffering no chips whatsoever.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:51 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Hi - two things:

1. You posted in the 955/957 forum - you own a 958. I'll drag the thread over there.
2. If you bought the car used - there is a chance the rims were refinished to clear up curb-rash. The finish used seems to deteriorate after about 3-4 years and starts showing white spots (primer) where the black flakes off. Mine are doing this now. I'm trying to ignore it, I was the one who had them refinished sent out by the Porsche dealer - $150/rim.

Oh yeah = hang on, thread being moveddddddddddddddddddddd................
Old 09-19-2020, 09:13 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I was thinking on doing the same with my SportEdition black/polished lip 21”s until I noticed that the OE silver or platinum SE models had a different lip design. My OCD didn’t let me do it.

Last edited by Galion; 09-19-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:08 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

The spokes stick out so they can get hit by debris. I just had some of my wheels finished and they missed one that had knicks in them and I told my Service Advisor so they will handle the other wheel at some point. I have a 5 year warranty on mine so I plan to get them refinished every year or so.

Powdercoating will be a much stronger way of keeping them clean. The standard paint I think is just not strong enough to stay on.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:36 AM
mikegally
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Professional powder coating is the solution.
We recently sold our LR Evoque to make way for the Cayenne, the buyer thought our gloss black alloys were brand new but in fact they had been powder coated 18 months earlier.
18 months of daily use and they were unmarked.
We also have a Mini cooper Clubman with gloss black powder coated alloys and they are also unblemished (other than one kerb scuff).

The place we used to do the powder coating only do powder coating ......and we went direct rather than through a garage or dealership.
I dont know enough about the coating process but i suppose you can get cowboys who use inferior powder or cut corners ?
I can only say that my outcomes were super impressive.

Quick Reply: Re-Finish for Sport Edistion Gloss Black