Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How do you shift smoothly in auto mode?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 11:07 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How do you shift smoothly in auto mode?

I have a base Cayenne as a loaner car and am having trouble driving it smoothly. My regular car is a 991 911 with a manual transmission, which is a bit different from this Cayenne.

I tried just putting it in "D" and driving, but it keeps upshifting multiple gears so I looked and was in 7th gear going 40 mph and an incredibly high gear at around 20 to the point where the engine is barely above 1,000 rpm. If I give it a little gas at this point it violently downshifts multiple gears and makes everyone in the car feel car sick. I tried putting it in sport mode and it helped a little, but it still wasn't smooth.

The only way I could drive so the car wouldn't lurch was to put in it manual and shift with the paddles or take great care to not push the gas pedal too hard in automatic mode.

Any tips for driving smoothly around town that I can try while I still have the loaner?
Old 09-29-2016, 10:58 PM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

put it in sport mode....helps a bit....
Old 09-29-2016, 11:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Put it sport, drive it in manual mode.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:05 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cuttinsod
put it in sport mode....helps a bit....
Thanks. I drove it again today and I think part of the problem is the area I drove yesterday had a lot of slow driving and then required sudden acceleration to change lanes or slow and then fast moving traffic so going into 7th at 35 mph didn't help when trying to speed back up. Usually I'll joke with people I never learned to drive an automatic, but I really felt like it then.

Today the driving was mainly at a constant speed and the car did pretty well in sport mode. Manual mode takes care of the problem at any speed. I had a straight away and the acceleration is pretty good for an SUV. It seems like a great SUV overall

Quick Reply: How do you shift smoothly in auto mode?