Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Buying 2013 Turbo remotely

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 08:00 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

I have no problem buying Porsches long distance, sight unseen. I bought a '70E in Santa Monica in 2002, PPI at a well known Indy, flew in and drove it home to NC. Did the same thing 4 years later with an '80 SC.

This week I bought further down the 2013 Cayenne food chain than you were thinking about. Just a humble V6. It too was sight unseen but at a Porsche dealer. Equipment wise it was exactly what I wanted, plus CPO. I again flew in and drove it home. But this time it was just a 400 mile drive.

Do your homework. Don't let the distance worry you. If you dot your "I's" and cross your "T's" the cars will work out.

Finally, I am not sure where the $750 figure for a cross country enclosed trailer came from. I paid $1,900 for my 997 from VA to RRV last year.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:24 PM
jfwoodman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal
Finally, I am not sure where the $750 figure for a cross country enclosed trailer came from. I paid $1,900 for my 997 from VA to RRV last year.
That was quoted by the Penske dealer. Regular shipping free, covered 750. Nice deal!
Old 10-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

That is a deal, for sure!!!
Old 10-08-2016, 10:27 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Whip350
Interesting how the Macan GTS comes standard which LCW which to me is plenty. LCA is just annoying. With the Cayenne Turbo have to order the Premium Package Plus to get LCA and it includes LCW I believe.
Whip - I went looking for LCA - which I found - Lane Change Assist (the beeper/light thingie for vehicles in your blind spot - which wouldn't be blind if the mirrors are correctly adjusted..) but - there is nothing in Google for "Porsche LCW" - which I'm guessing is "Lane Change Warning"?

And going to the Porsche website and looking at the Macan GTS I find no mention of it. Was it on the early Macan's and then dropped? I have experienced it on an Audi.. and found it pretty annoying, but easily shut off.

There also is no mention of LCW on a turbo - and the turbo I own, which pretty much had the option book thrown at it, has LCA, and it does NOT include LCW (if I interpreted LCW correctly.)
Old 10-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lane Keep Assist on Macan
http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2014-macan/11/189/

Lane Departure Warning on Cayenne
http://www.porsche.com/international...tance-systems/

these are operated by an On/Off button on the lower part of the console.

As I noted in an earlier post on this thread, I spent a lot of online time looking at the 2013 Turbo the OP was considering. Didn't want to say so at the time because it sounded like he had bought it, but I just couldn't get a good vibe about the car. Never saw it in person. When I asked, the salesperson described the interior as a 7 out of 10. Didn't make sense to me for a car with 10k miles.
It also seemed odd for a three year old car to come through this program. The car has been for sale for a fairly long time (over 60 or 90 days if I recall correctly) and recently had a price reduction from something like $77k to $69k or so. The Burmester kept luring me back, but overall I didn't think the build was all that great.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:07 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Just curious - since I've seen you mention PDCC many times.. what sort of "sporty" driving is it being used for? Track use? I don't have PDCC or PTV, and perhaps because I haven't had them - I don't find the handling of a Turbo lacking.

In sport mode it can outhandle anything I might throw at it. Taking exit ramps at 3X the marked speed is fun - but becomes a bit old when you keep running into mom in the minivan carting kids around you in front of you. We do have traffic circles in NJ - but again - the Turbo is capable of any speed I might want to attain in a circle - which are generally limited by other traffic. Back roads are fun except for the problem of deer.

I did ride on 2 wheels extensively in Europe, and I can see the portential for both there. There are roads there where one could make use of both, plus cruising at top speed on the Autobahn might make them useful - but I've also travelled all over the US and Canada and I can't really think of a road where the Turbo without them would come up lacking.

Track use? Autocross? Seems the wrong tool for the chore - but I guess if you like it then it's worth doing.

I do agree on the ACC and Burmester. I've driven (loaner for a month) a Cayenne with the next step down from the sport seats (which I have) and I found them quite supportive and actually a bit more comfortable than the 18 way sport seats. The air-vented seats - yes - for sure. And Porsche does it right by picking up cooled air from an underseat vent (unlike Lexus that blows slightly warmish air at you..)

Just curious..
I think this video give us a good example of how good the PDCC is. I love mine. Drove Cayenne's without and with and the difference is noticable.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:48 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 475 Posts

The video, which I've seen before, is amazing. If you rapid click on the play/pause button you can get it where both cars are straight on and, on pause, can really see the difference in body lean.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:52 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I think this video give us a good example of how good the PDCC is. I love mine. Drove Cayenne's without and with and the difference is noticable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL0CjLsNitM
OK - track use - but the one without PDCC didn't seem to be any slower around the cones. It leans more, but tire limits weren't reached and the amount of lean didn't seem to scare the driver.

On the street?
Old 10-09-2016, 06:21 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
OK - track use - but the one without PDCC didn't seem to be any slower around the cones. It leans more, but tire limits weren't reached and the amount of lean didn't seem to scare the driver.

On the street?
I can't say for sure but I don't think the slalom run was a race or speed test, one set up vs. another, but rather done purely to illustrate the body roll of a PDCC equipped Cayenne vs. a non PDCC equipped model.

From my perspective less body roll is always welcome, at any speed, in any situation.

Given that the vast majority of CTT's and almost all GTS's don't have PDCC those without the option have plenty of company and I'm sure suffer no decreased fun quotient when out driving.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:32 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,649 Posts

^^Couldn't say it better myself.

Body roll is uncomfortable for everyone.

Quick Reply: Buying 2013 Turbo remotely