Sponsored By:

Buying 2013 Turbo remotely

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:41 PM
jfwoodman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 2013 Turbo remotely

I live in CA and have been looking for the right CPO Cayenne Turbo for a while. I've never purchased a vehicle remotely, but a low mile 2013 CTT popped up in FL that checks most of my boxes, so I decided to pull the trigger. Link to vehicle is below.

http://www.porschewestbroward.com/de...-15308564.html

The dealer rep has been great answering questions, but I'm wondering if any South FL locals happened to check out this vehicle. If so, can you please contact me via PM with your thoughts?

Also, for those who've bought remotely before, any other less obvious issues I should keep in mind?

Lastly, shipping from FL to CA on open carrier is free, but $750 will get delivery via closed trailer. I'm leaning toward paying the upgrade for peace of mind. Would you?

Thanks - getting excited!
Old 10-05-2016, 02:07 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 475 Posts

That's a nice car, I've looked at it more than a few time (on the web I mean).

I would pay the extra for closed trailer as FL to CA will be a long ride (I'm guessing a week?) with possibly a few on and off loads along the way.

Best of luck!
Old 10-05-2016, 03:09 PM
Liet
5th Gear

Closed trailer for sure. That's a great price even if it is soft side (request hard sided trailer though).
Old 10-05-2016, 04:06 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I would try to get that car out ASAP due to incoming hurricane. Otherwise make sure someone put their eyes on it before payment/shipment to make sure the car is not damaged/flooded due to the storm.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:37 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I would try to get that car out ASAP due to incoming hurricane. Otherwise make sure someone put their eyes on it before payment/shipment to make sure the car is not damaged/flooded due to the storm.
Bingo! Was thinking the same when I read this.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:42 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

That's a whole lotta money to spend without getting on a plane and checking it out for yourself. The cost of your plane ticket and room/meals while you're there is a pittance in comparison...
Old 10-05-2016, 07:23 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Enclosed trailer for $750 for sure. There are so many things that can go wrong with the open car haulers, like the cars above yours dripping fluids down on your paint. I got mine delivered on an open hauler and regret it for sure. It came with a couple plastic pieces in the trunk that should have still been attached to the underside, took them almost three weeks after passing through my city over a long weekend, and the driver did not know how to work the rear windshield wiper, so every time he needed to drive the car to move it around just had the rear wiper scratching up the dry, dusty glass!!

I will not go as far as saying I will never ship a car again, but I will be a lot more discerning in the future about how it is done - especially for how much you pay to have it done.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:52 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

I wouldn't be too worried about purchasing this car..

Penske is a known quantity. They don't deal in trash. They have a great reputation for satisfying the customer from all the reports I've heard.

The vehicle was a factory "demo" - with 10k miles on it - that means a Porsche executives wife got to use it for a few years. It undoubtedly got primo service.

It's CPO - so issues with body damage aren't an issue (it isn't allowed) and that's as good an extended warranty as you're going to find.

What you might do is try to find a Penske Porsche dealer around you, and have them get it shipped to them and you buy it from them.

That's just me. If someone goes to eyeball if for you - chances are they might decide to buy it..
Old 10-05-2016, 08:05 PM
jfwoodman
AutoX

Thanks for the thoughts, everybody. Great ideas and much appreciated. I especially like the shipping to Penske dealer here, I know there is at least one in the area. That would be ideal.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I wouldn't be too worried about purchasing this car..

Penske is a known quantity. They don't deal in trash. They have a great reputation for satisfying the customer from all the reports I've heard.

The vehicle was a factory "demo" - with 10k miles on it - that means a Porsche executives wife got to use it for a few years. It undoubtedly got primo service.

It's CPO - so issues with body damage aren't an issue (it isn't allowed) and that's as good an extended warranty as you're going to find.

What you might do is try to find a Penske Porsche dealer around you, and have them get it shipped to them and you buy it from them.

That's just me. If someone goes to eyeball if for you - chances are they might decide to buy it..
Old 10-05-2016, 08:12 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

I agree on the Penske thing. In my area Porsche Tysons is a Penske dealer and I've always been very pleased in my dealings with them. No games, no BS.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:43 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,649 Posts

If you are into sporty driving then, like I am, then you should be looking fora cayenne with:

PDCC
PTV

Other options that you're gonna not be able to live without once you experience, some of which your perspective car has are:

Burmester
ACC with PAS, I love this feature.
14 Way seats
AC seats, i think all cayenne Turbos have this.

All this being said, this car isn't highly optioned and I think there may be better ones out there. The thing this car has going for it is the mileage.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:38 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
If you are into sporty driving then, like I am, then you should be looking fora cayenne with:

PDCC
PTV
Just curious - since I've seen you mention PDCC many times.. what sort of "sporty" driving is it being used for? Track use? I don't have PDCC or PTV, and perhaps because I haven't had them - I don't find the handling of a Turbo lacking.

In sport mode it can outhandle anything I might throw at it. Taking exit ramps at 3X the marked speed is fun - but becomes a bit old when you keep running into mom in the minivan carting kids around you in front of you. We do have traffic circles in NJ - but again - the Turbo is capable of any speed I might want to attain in a circle - which are generally limited by other traffic. Back roads are fun except for the problem of deer.

I did ride on 2 wheels extensively in Europe, and I can see the portential for both there. There are roads there where one could make use of both, plus cruising at top speed on the Autobahn might make them useful - but I've also travelled all over the US and Canada and I can't really think of a road where the Turbo without them would come up lacking.

Track use? Autocross? Seems the wrong tool for the chore - but I guess if you like it then it's worth doing.

I do agree on the ACC and Burmester. I've driven (loaner for a month) a Cayenne with the next step down from the sport seats (which I have) and I found them quite supportive and actually a bit more comfortable than the 18 way sport seats. The air-vented seats - yes - for sure. And Porsche does it right by picking up cooled air from an underseat vent (unlike Lexus that blows slightly warmish air at you..)

Just curious..
Old 10-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I looked hard at this car online, but never saw it in person.

The Burmester equipment is awesome, had it in a Panamera turbo S. Already missing that.

Regarding the ventilated seats, I believe the Porsche system draws air in the perforations and down through the seat, venting out the back/bottom.

Anyway - JFWoodman, hope the transit goes well and you enjoy the car! As you probably know, black is a labor of love! (as you'll see from some of my previous 991 posts. Enjoy!
Old 10-07-2016, 03:37 PM
jfwoodman
AutoX

Update: I just let the car go, and understand it should be sold shortly. I realized that it didn't have LCA, which is an option I value, and coupled with my general unease with buying remotely, this tipped the balance of my decision.

sincere thanks to all for your input!
Old 10-07-2016, 11:39 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Interesting how the Macan GTS comes standard which LCW which to me is plenty. LCA is just annoying. With the Cayenne Turbo have to order the Premium Package Plus to get LCA and it includes LCW I believe.

Quick Reply: Buying 2013 Turbo remotely