Sponsored By:

PCM cell usage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 11:24 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts
Default PCM cell usage?

I'm about to take delivery of a '17 with the latest PCM. It apparently uses an AT&T (or other GSM-based) SIM to handle making the connections. We use Verizon for our phones (all Android-based).

I've used a Verizon SIM in non-Verizon devices that have 4G (US LTE) and realize they can't fall back to GSM as Verizon uses CDMA. And the PCM cell radio doesn't have CMDA. Just LTE and GSM for fallback. That's fine. I may try a Verizon SIM in there just to see if/how well it works in areas with good Verizon 4G/LTE coverage.

If I'm going to have to get another account for just the 958, what kind of plan are others using? I don't drive an excessive amount and don't really expect a lot of data to be transferred through it. I can continue to use our Verizon devices for everything else (Netflix movies, etc). So I don't expect to make much use of any kind of WiFi hotspot feature, just mapping, traffic and potentially streamed audio. The latter depending upon which is easier to use; the phone output through bluetooth or whatever the PCM provides.

Whose US (east coast, mid-Atlantic) plan is recommended?

Anything to avoid?
Old 11-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just connect your phone via bluetooth rather than add another mobile plan to your monthly bills? Then you have all your contacts, etc.

My Cayenne Turbo has the WiFi router... can't think of any reason to add a SIM card and data plan for that either.

Good luck with the new car - post pics when it arrives!

Last edited by Hammer911; 11-07-2016 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-07-2016, 01:10 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Why not just connect your phone via bluetooth rather than add another mobile plan to your monthly bills?
Integrated traffic and mapping, the main reasons. While lots of things can be done with the phone, some of it is a bit easier to do on the console without fiddling with the phone.

My question isn't how to avoid it, but what level of service is proving most effective for users that have it?
Old 11-08-2016, 11:29 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Exchanging messages with Kathryn at the PEC informed me that there's a free 3 month data plan included with the PCM setup. So at least I'll have 'something' to use for the drive back from Atlanta.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:45 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I get traffic warnings and maps on Sirius. No sim card.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:16 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Is there one tier or two for Sirius service for the radio? In the boat we've got Sirius satellite services, one for music and the other specifically for marine weather. Speaking of which, I'll have to remember to suspend those services while the boat's out on the hard for the winter...

As for traffic, I don't mean just alerts, but full live google maps traffic data.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:35 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Heh, the trip back from PEC Atlanta was fantastic! The hotspot feature worked quite well using the AT&T promo SIM card. Trouble is, mid-morning the second day I got a message from AT&T telling me I'd burned through 75% of the data plan! Netflix on the kid's iPad really chewed through whatever paltry promo data package it came with. I switched off the hotspot and activated the one on my Verizon S7 for the remainder of the trip.

I put a Verizon SIM into the PCM and it appears to be working Ok. I had to use 'vzwinternet' for the APN name and blanks for everything else. Searches, maps, traffic and the like all worked.

Now, I understand there's only radios for LTE and GSM in the PCM. And I expect that if I travel out of an area that has Verizon LTE then I won't be able to fall back to GSM since Verizon uses CDMA for that. That's fine, I have a tablet that's like that also.

Quick Reply: PCM cell usage?