Happy with standard suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 11:26 AM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Happy with standard suspension?

I'm in the market for a 2013 Cayenne S.
In another thread, I asked if owners were happy with air suspension.
Unanimously, they responded yes, and they would get it again. But, of course, only owners of air suspension responded.

Now, I am reversing the question: Are standard suspension owners happy with their standard suspension? Would you get standard again, or would you get air suspension if you had to do it over again?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a '13 Cayenne (although Diesel). I think the answer to that question depends on you being honest with yourself about how you will use the cayenne and your driving style. I have the standard suspension and can honestly say that I have't spent a single nano-second wishing I had spent more money on the air suspension (and I am a "spirited" driver).

Bottom line - its a fantastic vehicle with the standard suspension. You can always look for reasons to spend more and get "better" specs, but I'm pretty sure that if you're not towing or engaging often in those activities where AS really shines, you'll never think about it again. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Air Suspension all the way!

No way. My first 2005 Cayenne S had coil suspension and off-road it totally sucked. Even on-road the ride was absolutely jarring. Now, I have 2006 Cayenne Turbo with air suspension set mostly in Comfort mode... it's now complete bliss for my 53-year-old behind...
Old 01-27-2017, 06:16 PM
BE455
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very wise to ask the question from the other direction. My 2013 CD has the standard suspension. I tow my track toy on an aluminum trailer with ease. No issues at all. The ride on daily driving is excellent... in fact, it's the main reasons I chose this over a diesel X5. It handled way better... no contest.

No regrets whatsoever in going with steel.. In fairness, I've never driven it with an air suspension... so I'm not saying it is better or worse. I'm just saying I'm very happy with my choice.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:46 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have standard suspension on a 2006CS. It was a deal and I bought it to tow a race car and haul around kids for sports.

Anybody who who has been a passenger in the back says it sucks. Even my kids want our Honda Odyssey if given a choice.

If if I buy another used ceyenne I will get one with a suspension setting option.

That said, the standard suspension is great when "spirited driving". When your easing around town and go over bumps.....it's pretty jarring. I rode in a 2014 with air suspension. No comparison. Far superior and you chose what your in the mood for.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:48 AM
Gasol1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the standard suspension. Get pasm if you are worried about it. I found the air suspension a bit floaty. My kids are prone to motion sickness and it seems to happen more quickly in floatier cars.

The air suspension is one of the big reasons I didn't like the Range Rover. And after extensive Tesla test drives I preferred the steel suspension there too.

I'd agree the air suspension is softer, whether you like that better you have to test for yourself I think. PASM will smooth out the ride if you want a middle ground.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I think you should ask those that have had both. I had a steel spring '05 and now a Air suspension '06. The air suspension is reliable and better all around, never again would I do the Steel springs unless the next Cayenne model I want has issues with it. The Air suspension might be a bit floaty in comfort but swap to Normal or all the way to Sport and it can be real firm. Firm enough is Sport for me that it is the least used of the 3 settings.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:28 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

It's nice to have but not a deal breaker as long as it is priced accordingly. I paid $5K less plus transport across the country compared to a CD with air suspension. The value is there in my mind.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:03 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

I just traded an '08 with standard suspension for a '13 with air suspension a week ago. First - the 2011 and later model Cayennes w/o air suspension will ride better than the older ones w/o air. Second - I liked my 08 but never quite said "man I love this car" while driving it. It drove like a 5000 lb sports car which is not bad. However, I have 2 other sports cars and wanted a softer ride for the DD. My '08 was a work horse and actually rode better with a few hundred pounds in the back. The nice thing about the post 2011 Cayennes with air susp is they usually come pretty loaded up so you're buying a Cayenne with an $85k plus sticker compared to one in the mid $70k. I probably paid an extra $3k for the used Cayenne with A/S over a similar one without - but got a CS that had an original sticker over $90k. It's much nicer than a standard S inside - though similar from the exterior. The standard suspension will certainly get the job done and mine did for years. BUT - I always wished I'd spent a little more and gotten the A/S. At the end of the day all Cayennes depreciate like crazy until they get really cheap. If you're not buying a really cheap one - a good way to justify the big annual drop in value is to be driving a car you really enjoy every time you climb in. If you just need the utility - go standard. If you want to fall in love - A/S is the potion. BTW - for 2011 - 2012 only the Turbo had standard air suspension. The GTS has it standard but didn't arrive until 2013. A 2013 GTS is generally $5k - $10k more than an S with air suspension BUT you won't get the GTS exterior bits and 20 hp bump in the engine. However, many Cayenne S's with A/S also had Premium Package Plus (which included many interior upgrades) and the Panarama roof, and RS Spyder wheels. To me - that car from the inside is nicer than a standard GTS for less money. But a GTS may be worth more down the road. I've been getting calls from the sales guys who wouldn't get real about the asking price 2 weeks ago and some have come down by several thousand $. I was doing a nationwide look for CPO cars. If you want to talk - drop me an email
John@jackpoint.us

Last edited by jpoint; 01-28-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:34 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm on the Air Suspension train as well. I only looked at Cayenne S's with A/S with PASM and the Premium Package Plus package because I wanted versatility in how I planned to use the car. With the wife, kids and dog driving to the Lake, I wanted a comfortable set of choices for a different kind of ride versus my daily winter commute where I smash it up in Sport mode and drive it hard (50-mile round trip commute, mostly highway miles). I also haul a ski boat and snowmobiles, so that pushed me towards the A/S as well (and this thing hauls stuff WAY better than the wife's 2014 Q7!).

I did drive a few 12's and 13's without A/S and they were fine, but I wanted more choices in how I wanted to drive and the kind of conditions in which I planned to drive my P!g. In the end, I opted for more choices knowing I'd use the car in different situations, so I kinda figure it's all down to personal choice
Old 01-28-2017, 02:36 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really appreciate the insights, guys.
Thanks a bunch,
Jim
Old 01-28-2017, 04:52 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I see you are in Baton Rouge and I know you have bad roads. Get air suspension.

I drive a 2011 w steel springs and 295/35/21 tires. Fantastic on smooth asphalt but jarring on sharp bumps. Terrible on houston side roads. Would be better w 18 or 19 inch rims but..........
My friend has a GTS with air suspension and 20 inch rims, night and day different. So for Baton Rouge roads, air suspension and no larger than 20 inch rims and your ride will be bliss.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:39 PM
tigger1197
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its like every option on these cars. If you have it you love it and would get it again. If you don't have it then its not worth the money. I ran across this time and time again when searching for the options for my ordered car. I ordered 29 options and I researched every one of them. I would say use your own butt to decide which is better. Full disclosure I did exactly that and decided to get the air suspension. I like having the noise privacy glass but only people who have it are going to say its worth the money.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:22 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

My wife gets car sick in steel suspensioned 958 Cayenne's even on short drives... but never with air-suspensioned ones. Definitely a harsher ride between the two.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:09 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Seems that the majority of the No answers are for the 955 and 957. The 958 is a lighter vehicle which will make some difference.

I'm another 2013 diesel owner with steel suspension and I have zero complaints. That includes a day throwing it around AutoX too. Certainly air & PDF could be better, but in 4+ years and 33k I have never wished for it.

From what I've read over the years air comes into its own if you tow or carry heavy loads due to the load leveling feature. I have also heard that the ride is much more comfortable than steel if you run 20s or bigger for your wheels.

Quick Reply: Happy with standard suspension?