Sponsored By:

PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO 2011 CAMSHAFT BOLT FAILURE $35,199.00

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO 2011 CAMSHAFT BOLT FAILURE $35,199.00

So I wanted to tell my story here and so I can keep everyone in the loop.

BEFORE YOU BUY A PORSCHE CAYENNE 2011 2012 TURBO OR CAYENNE S PLEASE READ THIS AS IT IS UPDATED.

I recently took my personal 2011 Cayenne Turbo into an indy shop for what I wanted to ID as a loss of boost issue, after 2 visits and many replacement parts that was getting close to the 2K marker I finally DROVE IT IN as I had on the previous 2 occasions. This time I didn't bug then over needing my vehicle since I just wanted them to find the problem and not have to return.

Well I finally call and start asking questions 3-weeks after my car has not been returned or no calls, I finally get a hold of the owner who says that he had the car running and it was running great, during the test drive (only 5-miles were documented since it was left there 3-weeks prior) the engine blew. I was told that it was the infamous CAMSHAFT ADJUSTER SCREWS that broke, well I was then told that it was best if I could get it over to PORSCHE so possibly they would make the repairs under good faith since it just went out of warranty within the year.

Well after a few days and a few calls I get a $3,000 credit towards the repairs authorized from PORSCHE.

I have a 135K paper weight that I can't do anything with until I foot the bill of $35,199 (the estimation for the repairs to be made).

1. I wasn't the driver when the engine blew, the indy shop was "test driving it when it blew".
2. This is a well documented issue with PORSCHE and they have even started a "campaign" an other smooth word for "recall" due to this issue.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...a-on-camshaft-

I will keep you all posted on what comes of this ordeal, I just wanted to reach out and ask anyone here first off (LEGAL ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED) as to: A. is the indy shop responsible for any of this? B. Is PORSCHE responsible, of a know defect in these aluminum bolt failures?

Last has anyone pursued any claims against PORSCHE for this same issue OUT OF WARRANTY covered, I know many of you have had replacements under warranty but mine is out so if you have an out of warranty feedback that would be best.

BY THE WAY, I'M NOT WAITING FOR PORSCHE TO MAKE A MOVE, I'VE ALREADY PURCHASED A REPLACEMENT ENGINE THAT I INTEND ON GETTING INSTALLED VERY SOON. (GOOD IS THAT IS HAS ONLY 27K) (BAD IS THAT EVERYTHING IS OUT OF POCKET TILL I CAN'T GET THIS ISSUE RESOLVED)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE,
Old 04-10-2017, 02:43 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Too bad you didn't read: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-failure.html before this happened. Spending $2,600 to avoid the problem sounds a lot better than spending 10x that amount after it happens.

There is also a thread about it here - somewhere - it's dropped off the front page here again since the deluge of 955/957 questions/queries tends to push 958 info right off the page. And the moderators here didn't see fit to sticky it.

BTW - the thread I referenced gives a means to very easily check if the engine you're installing has the potential for the same disaster to happen. I'd suggest checking it before installing it in the Cayenne - it would never be easier to replace the Variocam adjusters then when the engine is out. You might also consider fixing the pipe on the coolant bridge that spans the rear of the heads. It's super accessible with the engine out. Some quality time with some JB-Weld would be time well spent.

I'd also ask that you file a complaint at NHTSA/DOT - as outlined in the other thread. It's an attempt to make it hot enough for Porsche to issue a recall or general service campaign for any vehicle with the questionable bolts.
The following users liked this post:
jasen w (11-30-2020)
Old 04-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Too bad you didn't read: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-failure.html before this happened. Spending $2,600 to avoid the problem sounds a lot better than spending 10x that amount after it happens.

There is also a thread about it here - somewhere - it's dropped off the front page here again since the deluge of 955/957 questions/queries tends to push 958 info right off the page. And the moderators here didn't see fit to sticky it.

BTW - the thread I referenced gives a means to very easily check if the engine you're installing has the potential for the same disaster to happen. I'd suggest checking it before installing it in the Cayenne - it would never be easier to replace the Variocam adjusters then when the engine is out. You might also consider fixing the pipe on the coolant bridge that spans the rear of the heads. It's super accessible with the engine out. Some quality time with some JB-Weld would be time well spent.

I'd also ask that you file a complaint at NHTSA/DOT - as outlined in the other thread. It's an attempt to make it hot enough for Porsche to issue a recall or general service campaign for any vehicle with the questionable bolts.
Appreciate the feedback and link... I have submitted to the NHTSA/DOT just now.

Last edited by Wheel Dynamics; 04-10-2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,643 Posts

My worst nightmare came true for you.

I've also got a 2011 and am deathly afraid of this happening. I'm going to upgrade the bolts or car before my CPO runs out in 13 months
Old 04-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver

I've also got a 2011 and am deathly afraid of this happening. I'm going to upgrade the bolts or car before my CPO runs out in 13 months

I was not made aware of this issue by Porsche otherwise I would have certainly made the repairs and I did have the CPO so I'm not sure why it wasn't brought to my attention before this mis-hap.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:56 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
So I wanted to tell my story here and so I can keep everyone in the loop.

BEFORE YOU BUY A PORSCHE CAYENNE 2011 2012 TURBO OR CAYENNE S PLEASE READ THIS AS IT IS UPDATED.

I recently took my personal 2011 Cayenne Turbo into an indy shop for what I wanted to ID as a loss of boost issue, after 2 visits and many replacement parts that was getting close to the 2K marker I finally DROVE IT IN as I had on the previous 2 occasions. This time I didn't bug then over needing my vehicle since I just wanted them to find the problem and not have to return.

Well I finally call and start asking questions 3-weeks after my car has not been returned or no calls, I finally get a hold of the owner who says that he had the car running and it was running great, during the test drive (only 5-miles were documented since it was left there 3-weeks prior) the engine blew. I was told that it was the infamous CAMSHAFT ADJUSTER SCREWS that broke, well I was then told that it was best if I could get it over to PORSCHE so possibly they would make the repairs under good faith since it just went out of warranty within the year.

Well after a few days and a few calls I get a $3,000 credit towards the repairs authorized from PORSCHE.

I have a 135K paper weight that I can't do anything with until I foot the bill of $35,199 (the estimation for the repairs to be made).

1. I wasn't the driver when the engine blew, the indy shop was "test driving it when it blew".
2. This is a well documented issue with PORSCHE and they have even started a "campaign" an other smooth word for "recall" due to this issue.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...a-on-camshaft-

I will keep you all posted on what comes of this ordeal, I just wanted to reach out and ask anyone here first off (LEGAL ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED) as to: A. is the indy shop responsible for any of this? B. Is PORSCHE responsible, of a know defect in these aluminum bolt failures?

Last has anyone pursued any claims against PORSCHE for this same issue OUT OF WARRANTY covered, I know many of you have had replacements under warranty but mine is out so if you have an out of warranty feedback that would be best.

BY THE WAY, I'M NOT WAITING FOR PORSCHE TO MAKE A MOVE, I'VE ALREADY PURCHASED A REPLACEMENT ENGINE THAT I INTEND ON GETTING INSTALLED VERY SOON. (GOOD IS THAT IS HAS ONLY 27K) (BAD IS THAT EVERYTHING IS OUT OF POCKET TILL I CAN'T GET THIS ISSUE RESOLVED)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE,
Looks at question A in a different light, as a shop owner. If you were moving a vehicle after installing wheels and the engine blew for a well known cause, how would you respond if the owner pointed the finger at you for responsibility simply because you were the one operating the vehicle at the time it let go?

In this case, assuming the shop did nothing except test drive the vehicle, I'd say they have no liability. Of course, that's easy for me to say without $25K of my money on the line....

Good luck getting it resolved!

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
I was not made aware of this issue by Porsche otherwise I would have certainly made the repairs and I did have the CPO so I'm not sure why it wasn't brought to my attention before this mis-hap.
[/I][/B]
Because they don't want owners to push for the repair under warranty, of course.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:30 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by skiahh
Looks at question A in a different light, as a shop owner. If you were moving a vehicle after installing wheels and the engine blew for a well known cause, how would you respond if the owner pointed the finger at you for responsibility simply because you were the one operating the vehicle at the time it let go?

In this case, assuming the shop did nothing except test drive the vehicle, I'd say they have no liability. Of course, that's easy for me to say without $25K of my money on the line....

Good luck getting it resolved!

Because they don't want owners to push for the repair under warranty, of course.
Well it wasn't that simple, this was the third time I had taken my vehicle to the shop for the same reason, the owner even stated that he even took the vehicle home once on the second time around just to put miles on and see if the boost was an issue.... ?? So it was more than a simple "test-drive" the vehicle had been in their custody for about 3-weeks when this incident took place. And of course who's going to admit they fouled something....

On the flip, we have never experienced anything like this in the past when we did service here, but had we done so we have insurance that would have covered us under this sort of circumstance.

And for the record it's over 35K not 25...

Thanks for your input,
Old 04-10-2017, 06:43 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

unless you can proved the indy abused the car ......a car with known issues from porsche....i doubt the shop in on any hook. the car is out of warranty and porsche does not really have a hook in this either.....you could threaten both parties with legal action to see if one or both will kick in. Or pay for the used motor and move on,lesson learned sadly.....you still may have a claim with DOT
Old 04-10-2017, 07:05 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

What are you waiting for? Won't Porsche pay for it now while you're still CPO? Get those bolts upgraded, man.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by extanker
unless you can proved the indy abused the car ......a car with known issues from porsche....i doubt the shop in on any hook. the car is out of warranty and porsche does not really have a hook in this either.....you could threaten both parties with legal action to see if one or both will kick in. Or pay for the used motor and move on,lesson learned sadly.....you still may have a claim with DOT
Porsche is definitely going to be on the hook with things, this was a well documented issue, they never extended the recall in the USA as they have in other parts of the world.

I'm going to have to hire an attorney on this one since it's going to easily go over the small claims department. The only advantage that I see on my end is that I have contacts in the service side of the business that would be happy to appear on my behalf regarding these issues.

Honestly before I go that route I would like to have a formal sit-down with the district manager so this way it will not only save on legal but for a bit more. If they are willing to make things right, then hey, not a problem, I only want what is fair and they had knowledge to make recalls in other countries for the same issue why not the USA? Did they use different bolts in China? I think not.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by CTTS520
What are you waiting for? Won't Porsche pay for it now while you're still CPO? Get those bolts upgraded, man.
Porsche feels there is NO PROBLEM with any vehicle outside the limited range of VIN#'s that the original service/workshop campaign (WC-22) covered.

Since there is NO PROBLEM they feel no responsibility to change what they feel isn't wrong or potentially defective.

No company likes paying for warranty repairs - it's a cost of advertising to them. And companies like even less paying for fixing a bollix they created with an engineering mistake. They just hope it makes it out of warranty and then it's your problem.

THAT is why I've urged people to use the details in the threads referenced to report it to NHTSA/DOT as a danger.

IF the bolts were to fail on a highway, there is the potential to loose braking (vacuum pump for the turbo brakes is driven from the rear of one camshaft) or engine power (fuel pump is driven from the other camshaft) and power steering (as the power steering pump stops turning when the engine stops turning.)

This presents what to me appears to be a very clear and evident danger to the motorist and the general public (imagine loosing brakes and steering in a crowded parking lot.) In order for DOT/NHTSA to force Porsche into a recall - they need enough cases of the failure to show a pattern that makes it evident there is a problem, and Porsche has not addressed it.

There is currently a DOT/NHTSA "investigation" on the failure going on. The more evidence we present the investigator with the more likely something will be done. Porsche may not like it - but why should owners suffer due to Porsche engineers incompetence? As we used to say as kids "Tough-nuggies.."

The only way Porsche is going to pay for it is if they're forced to. THEY know there is a problem. THEY know they're at fault. THEY are simply ignoring it hoping it goes away.

So if you experience this failure do the rest of the 2011 (and some 2012) V8 owners a favor and report it. It takes about 3-4 minutes to do. Costs nothing. Might save you a whole bunch of money.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:43 PM
extanker
Banned

how far is it out of warranty ,mileage and time wise please?
Old 04-11-2017, 02:23 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,643 Posts

I own a 2011. Bolts have not failed yet. I'm still under CPO. Can I file with the NHTSA/DOT?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Old 04-11-2017, 09:25 AM
extanker
Banned

I own a 2011. Bolts have not failed yet. I'm still under CPO. Can I file with the NHTSA/DOT?
and what would you put in the column of complaint...........i own a car that is okay but bolts could fail ?

Quick Reply: PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO 2011 CAMSHAFT BOLT FAILURE $35,199.00