Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 07:42 PM
FlyPenFly
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by shustermeister
Update: sensor inside the battery is faulty, causing the "low battery" warning. Tech said the Battery works fine, tests show all good. BUT, requires battery replacement since sensor cannot be replaced and the price is... $3100!!!! And I have to wait 4 days for the LiFe battery to arrive. Dealer denied factory warranty replacement of the unit, as it expired in March 2023, "sorry cannot do a goodwill on it". Good news, though, Fidelity Platinum extendes warranty I bought from Trenton Gibson has stepped up and has (after some convincing) approved the replacement with my payment of deductible, a paltry sum by comparison.Dealer gave me a 2024 Cayenne loaner for the weekend as long as the new battery arrives in 3 to 4 days.
really interested on how you got Fidelity to cover it since it’s specifically excluded in the platinum warranty language??
The following 2 users liked this post by FlyPenFly:
chassis (08-10-2023), jhellow (08-10-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 07:43 PM
FlyPenFly
Instructor

https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/oem-...ry-9y0915105qy

might be available for $2k if someone is willing to try
The following 2 users liked this post by FlyPenFly:
chassis (08-10-2023), pinion (08-10-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 09:47 AM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
really interested on how you got Fidelity to cover it since it’s specifically excluded in the platinum warranty language??
Service rep at the dealer did all the talking with Fidelity and after initial pushback, she explained the battery itself was not the problem but the sensor was faulty. They agreed to cover it and I am not complaining. It is amazing how a cheap little sensor is designed to be placed inside the battery so if it faults you have replace the whole thing. Sounds like too much a coincidence that after almost exactly 4 years all these sensor failures are occurring... tin foil hat on. Given the large number of incidents with this one might think PCNA would step up and give dealers the authority and compensation for covering the replacement.

Last edited by shustermeister; 08-11-2023 at 09:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 10:50 AM
George718
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Dealer service telling me that a sensor inside the battery is bad, not related to software update they performed in November to resolve low battery message. Trying to determine course of action right now. If battery needs replacement, and I am a few months out of factory warranty, will be interesting to see if Fidelity Platinum warranty covers it... the service rep tells me there are 3 other cars here right now with the same issue. Recall?
I had the identical situation and was able to plead my case to an assistant to the CEO of Porsche......No Dice though! She said to hold my receipt in case of a future recall as in that situation I would be reimbursed.
BTW I also had the Platinum Fidelity Warranty
Old 08-11-2023, 10:56 AM
George718
Instructor

Service rep at the dealer did all the talking with Fidelity and after initial pushback, she explained the battery itself was not the problem but the sensor was faulty. They agreed to cover it and I am not complaining. It is amazing how a cheap little sensor is designed to be placed inside the battery so if it faults you have replace the whole thing. Sounds like too much a coincidence that after almost exactly 4 years all these sensor failures are occurring... tin foil hat on. Given the large number of incidents with this one might think PCNA would step up and give dealers the authority and compensation for covering the replacement.
I spoke to exec at Porsche NA and all she could say was sorry.
Old 08-11-2023, 11:34 AM
George718
Instructor

Thanks for the info.....Just spoke to Fidelity and explained my situation....they said I might have a case but I had to have my SA call them.....I just spoke to the Service Manager and explained everything......he's gonna research a bit and get back to me. Fingers crossed
Old 08-11-2023, 01:03 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Originally Posted by George718
Thanks for the info.....Just spoke to Fidelity and explained my situation....they said I might have a case but I had to have my SA call them.....I just spoke to the Service Manager and explained everything......he's gonna research a bit and get back to me. Fingers crossed
good luck! If enough of these issues come up, eventually a recall may be forced. Surprised that PCNA has been rejecting these claims on 4 year old cars mostly with low mileage and most are probably garaged not exposes to elements (maybe this is not statistically true but mine is always garaged when not in use, as are most of my friends with Pcars...)
this is the second low battery issue I have had since November 2022. It is obvious to me there is a defect in the battery or charging system and eventually they wont be able to ignore it.
George718 (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 01:34 PM
FlyPenFly
Instructor

Cheap Chinese LiFePo4 battery banks like Ecoflow have 5 year warranties even with hard use and they’re designed for a 10 year service life…

Surprised German Porsche can’t guarantee anything close to that.
Old 08-11-2023, 03:08 PM
shustermeister
Racer

good luck! If enough of these issues come up, eventually a recall may be forced. Surprised that PCNA has been rejecting these claims on 4 year old cars mostly with low mileage and most are probably garaged not exposes to elements (maybe this is not statistically true but mine is always garaged when not in use, as are most of my friends with Pcars...)
this is the second low battery issue I have had since November 2022. It is obvious to me there is a defect in the battery or charging system and eventually they wont be able to ignore it.
Exact quote from my SA to Fidelity rep: "Onboard internal battery monitoring sensor is faulty". If battery itself could not hold charge, was end of life, etc. I could see the "maintenance item" argument. When a monitoring sensor fails that triggers a fault and warning, that should be covered by a warranty or by Porsche when it appears to be a common fault in design or engineering of the component that is causing many failures in the product line. Porsche should equate to quality and performance, and they should stand behind the product. My $0.02 for what it is worth.
George718 (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 05:09 PM
pinion
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
Cheap Chinese LiFePo4 battery banks like Ecoflow have 5 year warranties even with hard use and they’re designed for a 10 year service life…

Surprised German Porsche can’t guarantee anything close to that.

Not only that this one has a networked BMS which is substantially better than what a typical drop in Lithium battery has. The networked piece means it won’t over charge or generally overload the battery. In my mind the one Porsche is using is either clearly defective or the programming Porsche is using is bad and it is killing these things. Either way is an obvious manufacturer defect and something the warranty should be addressing.
The following 3 users liked this post by pinion:
chassis (08-11-2023), FlyPenFly (08-11-2023), George718 (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 05:14 PM
George718
Instructor

Originally Posted by pinion
Not only that this one has a networked BMS which is substantially better than what a typical drop in Lithium battery has. The networked piece means it won’t over charge or generally overload the battery. In my mind the one Porsche is using is either clearly defective or the programming Porsche is using is bad and it is killing these things. Either way is an obvious manufacturer defect and something the warranty should be addressing.
I think Porsche is very well aware of the situation which is why they released the software update as a quick cheap short term fix. The problem is after the 4 years is up and the issue appears again you're on your own. Shame on them.
chassis (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 11:57 PM
matthewr87
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 166 Posts

good luck! If enough of these issues come up, eventually a recall may be forced. Surprised that PCNA has been rejecting these claims on 4 year old cars mostly with low mileage and most are probably garaged not exposes to elements (maybe this is not statistically true but mine is always garaged when not in use, as are most of my friends with Pcars...).
Low mileage is one of the reasons for warranty denial. Manual says you have to drive at least 6k miles a year or charge it using the Porsche charger for warranty coverage to apply on the battery. If you do neither then you are probably SOL.
Old 08-12-2023, 04:11 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Porsche found faults for low voltage and also found that the software wasn't up to date. They performed the ATI 2229.8 campaign under warranty and I'm happy to report that I picked up my GTS yesterday there was no charge for me 👍
My LiPo battery has died again. Please see posts #246 and #252 above for background.

After getting my Cayenne back from Porsche last Wed (8/2) with the battery software update and a clean bill of health, I parked it in my garage with the CTEK maintainer attached to the posts under the hood. On Fri (8/4), we packed the Cayenne and drove two hours to Big Bear Lake for a weekend cycling event. My Cayenne sat for two days and then we drove it home on Sun without incident. Knowing the battery would be fully charged, I parked it in the garage for a couple of days and then on Tue (8/8) I attached the CTEK to the posts. The lights came on as normal so all was good.

And then yesterday, I went to the garage to start it up and the battery was dead. I was able to jump it with my MicroGravity micro-starter and I drove it around a bit. Then put it back in the garage and attached my CTEK and the lights started coming on. I called Porsche and they say to bring it back in on Mon. I have a road trip planned for Thur and I have no faith in this battery.

Question: Has anyone received a battery under warranty if they are short of the 6000 mi/yr as stated in the manual? The warranty also states that if you don't do the mileage, you are supposed to use a battery maintainer which I have been diligent about.

Edit: The 2021 owner's manual says: The battery will run down even if the vehicle is out of operation. To maintain its function, charge the battery approximately every 6 weeks or connect it to a trickle charger suitable for lithium batteries with a CC/CV or pure CV characteristic. Porsche recommends the charger and charge maintenance unit from Porsche Tequipment.

Oh please someone come up with an AGM solution 🙏

Last edited by dasams; 08-13-2023 at 05:22 PM.
chassis (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 05:03 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,230 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
My LiPo battery has died again. Please see posts #246 and #252 above for background.

After getting my Cayenne back from Porsche last Wed (8/2) with the battery software update and a clean bill of health, I parked it in my garage with the CTEK maintainer attached to the posts under the hood. On Fri (8/4), we packed the Cayenne and drove two hours to Big Bear Lake for a weekend cycling event. My Cayenne sat for two days and then we drove it home on Sun without incident. Knowing the battery would be fully charged, I parked it in the garage for a couple of days and then on Tue (8/8) I attached the CTEK to the posts. The lights came on as normal so all was good.

And then yesterday, I went to the garage to start it up and the battery was dead. I was able to jump it with my MicroGravity micro-starter and I drove it around a bit. Then put it back in the garage and attached my CTEK and the lights started coming on. I called Porsche and they say to bring it back in on Mon. I have a road trip planned for Thur and I have no faith in this battery.

Question: Has anyone received a battery under warranty if they are short of the 6000 mi/yr as stated in the manual? The warranty also states that if you don't do the mileage, you are supposed to use a battery maintainer which I have been diligent about.

Oh please someone come up with an AGM solution 🙏
Ugh. I hope this gets resolved, an AGM solution would be great.
George718 (08-12-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 02:40 AM
wageslave
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

AGM would be great, I would totally be okay with being able to use a non-Porsche LiFePO (ie: antigravity).
chassis (08-13-2023)

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Battery