Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 07:59 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 123 Posts

Question…I thought that an earlier post stated that with PDCC the battery would be located in the compartment in this Pic. I have PDCC but an open spot.

Old 11-16-2022, 09:14 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,381 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Question…I thought that an earlier post stated that with PDCC the battery would be located in the compartment in this Pic. I have PDCC but an open spot.
Yes, that was post #113 from this thread. Here’s that diagram you were thinking of:

Your picture shows just part of the battery cover aft of the actual battery. The battery is located forward of the storage compartment, which is normally larger when no PDCC 48V battery is installed. Check out these pictures:

Here’s an overview of the cargo compartment. I removed the spare tire for clarity. Note the yellow outline of the 48V PDCC battery underneath the cover.

Side view of the battery cover with outline of battery location. Note the top of the battery case is visible through a cutout in the cover.

Here’s the 48V battery with the cover removed.

Close-up of the battery.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by Schnave; 11-16-2022 at 09:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AtTheGlen (11-17-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 09:26 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 123 Posts

Thank you S…my memory had a defect…not the only one🤔
Old 11-19-2022, 01:14 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I received a "Battery low. Service necessary" warning with yellow battery icon on dash in my 2019 Cayenne S with 35k miles. Dealer first quoted me $3128.71 for a replacement Lithium battery. When I asked if this was covered by warranty, they researched and told me there is actually a recall for the battery sensor and it will take an hour for them to address. Going in next week... I guess it is expected for dealer service dept to try for the battery replacement route before checking for recalls, but hopeful that solves the problem. I would have to shop around a lot before I would spend $3100 plus labor for a damned battery at the dealer.
anyone else have a battery sensor recall done?

Last edited by shustermeister; 11-19-2022 at 01:20 PM.
bpcmd (04-02-2024)
Old 11-19-2022, 07:13 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Sorry for your troubles @shustermeister . There are possibly two different problems associated with your symptoms.

1. As your dealer said, there is a recall to reprogram the gateway control unit. Here’s an excerpt from this TSB:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...13077-0001.pdf

WMJ9 – Re-Programming Gateway Control Unit (Battery Sensor) (Workshop Campaign)

Concerns: Gateway control unit (battery sensor)

Information: Due to a software error in the battery sensor, there is a possibility that the ageing status of the 12-volt on-board electrical system battery on the affected vehicles may be calculated incorrectly. As a result, the 12-volt on-board electrical system battery may be replaced prematurely.

Action required: Re-program the battery sensor using the latest PIWIS Tester software version.

2. There is another recent TSB just released November 3rd. (See attached PDF) Your dealer may not be aware of this, so be sure to bring it to their attention. It concerns the
module called the ConBox. It is also called the Vehicle Tracking Module or the SOS Module. It communicates the vehicle’s position in case of theft or accident.

The problem is caused by the ConBox drawing excessive current while the vehicle is parked. Defective ConBoxes draw 400 milliamperes while normal total draw should be 30 - 70 mA.

There is a new software fix for vehicles produced before June 2021. They utilized a version called ConBox Low. Vehicles produced after that date had a different version, called ConBox High, and there is currently no fix available for vehicles equipped with ConBox High.

More information in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...not-solve.html
Old 11-20-2022, 11:13 AM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave
Sorry for your troubles @shustermeister . There are possibly two different problems associated with your symptoms.

1. As your dealer said, there is a recall to reprogram the gateway control unit. Here’s an excerpt from this TSB:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...13077-0001.pdf

WMJ9 – Re-Programming Gateway Control Unit (Battery Sensor) (Workshop Campaign)

Concerns: Gateway control unit (battery sensor)

Information: Due to a software error in the battery sensor, there is a possibility that the ageing status of the 12-volt on-board electrical system battery on the affected vehicles may be calculated incorrectly. As a result, the 12-volt on-board electrical system battery may be replaced prematurely.

Action required: Re-program the battery sensor using the latest PIWIS Tester software version.

2. There is another recent TSB just released November 3rd. (See attached PDF) Your dealer may not be aware of this, so be sure to bring it to their attention. It concerns the
module called the ConBox. It is also called the Vehicle Tracking Module or the SOS Module. It communicates the vehicle’s position in case of theft or accident.

The problem is caused by the ConBox drawing excessive current while the vehicle is parked. Defective ConBoxes draw 400 milliamperes while normal total draw should be 30 - 70 mA.

There is a new software fix for vehicles produced before June 2021. They utilized a version called ConBox Low. Vehicles produced after that date had a different version, called ConBox High, and there is currently no fix available for vehicles equipped with ConBox High.

More information in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...not-solve.html
------------------------
Shnave,
THANK YOU so much for the timely and very informative reply to my Low Battery error! I will definitely let the dealer know about the ConBox energy draw recall and have them address that. My factory warranty expires in February, so I definitely want the dealer to do everything possible to get stuff done while covered!
Adam
Old 01-29-2023, 03:25 PM
Rgmmg
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in an apartment block and my cayenne is parked in a public car park with no mains. Are there any portable trickle chargers that don't need mains?
Old 01-29-2023, 08:30 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rgmmg
I live in an apartment block and my cayenne is parked in a public car park with no mains. Are there any portable trickle chargers that don't need mains?
Is your parking spot outside or inside? If outside, you might consider a solar powered trickle charger. Battery Tender has a selection here:
https://www.batterytender.com/solar-panels

I see you live in a cloudy / rainy location. If the solar charger doesn’t work, consider the next-best option — a battery booster. I used to rely on the generosity of strangers to stop and let me connect my booster cables. No more! Now I carry a booster and jump myself when needed.

Here’s what I use. It sat in my car 4 months before I used it to jump my daughter’s dead battery. It performed flawlessly. She got one for Christmas and was thrilled.
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...-starts/xp-10/

Last edited by Schnave; 01-29-2023 at 09:18 PM.
Miggytosh (04-17-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 04:43 AM
Rgmmg
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your parking spot outside or inside? If outside, you might consider a solar powered trickle charger. Battery Tender has a selection here:
https://www.batterytender.com/solar-panels

I see you live in a cloudy / rainy location. If the solar charger doesn’t work, consider the next-best option — a battery booster. I used to rely on the generosity of strangers to stop and let me connect my booster cables. No more! Now I carry a booster and jump myself when needed.

Here’s what I use. It sat in my car 4 months before I used it to jump my daughter’s dead battery. It performed flawlessly. She got one for Christmas and was thrilled.
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...-starts/xp-10/
Thanks Schnave (long time fan of your contributions.. am giggling like a starstruck teenager).

I did read you used the xp10 and bought one on your suggestion! It worked a treat thank you. Alas, it's keeping the battery topped up that's still the issue.

Unfortunately, the car is in an underground car park so solar is not an option (and would only be for a couple of hours a year given the weather in any case ).
Old 02-01-2023, 05:47 PM
aman408
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to clarify, as I have read the forum and maybe I missed something, but you can replace a lithium battery with an AGM battery and it's okay? Sounds as though newer Cayennes are shipping with AGM batteries anyway?

I currently have a 9Y0 915 105 K battery and seems like the Bosch may be an okay replacement or have I completely missed the mark?

Current battery I have

Old 02-01-2023, 06:36 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aman408
Just to clarify, as I have read the forum and maybe I missed something, but you can replace a lithium battery with an AGM battery and it's okay? Sounds as though newer Cayennes are shipping with AGM batteries anyway?

I currently have a 9Y0 915 105 K battery and seems like the Bosch may be an okay replacement or have I completely missed the mark?
There is no record of a successful AGM retrofit to an existing factory equipped LFP battery.

From the Porsche TSB, attached:
”If a standard AGM battery is installed in the vehicle, a warning message will be displayed because there is no LIN communication. The power supply network switches to emergency operation.”

The OEM Lithium battery is specially manufactured with an internal battery sensor with an integrated LIN connector. Other replacement battery companies don’t have internal battery sensors.

The factory equipped AGM batteries have a completely different battery harness that includes an external battery sensor and LIN bus connection. You would likely have to retrofit the battery harness and code the new battery type with a PIWIS.

Exhaustive discussion on the technical aspects of this in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...e-battery.html
Attached Images
File Type: pdf

Last edited by Schnave; 02-01-2023 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:42 PM
aman408
Track Day

There is no record of a successful AGM retrofit to an existing factory equipped LFP battery.

The OEM Lithium battery is specially manufactured with an internal battery sensor with an integrated LIN connector. Other replacement battery companies don’t have internal battery sensors.

The factory equipped AGM batteries have a completely different battery harness that includes an external battery sensor and LIN bus connection. You would likely have to retrofit the battery harness and code the new battery type with a PIWIS.

Exhaustive discussion on the technical aspects of this in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...e-battery.html
Understood, I called the guys at Antigravity Batteries just now and they were super helpful. So is a Porsche dealer the only place to get these batteries then? Any third-party website or supplier you can get them from?
Old 02-01-2023, 07:09 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Understood, I called the guys at Antigravity Batteries just now and they were super helpful. So is a Porsche dealer the only place to get these batteries then? Any third-party website or supplier you can get them from?
Certain large parts sites advertise them for about $1,800.

Surprisingly, I did find a source on Ali Express for $892. Shipping is expensive, $252, since it is shipped from China. Total cost $1,144 and over 100 batteries in stock, ready to ship.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US

It looks like the real deal; with a LIN connector and LG Chem manufacturer sticker. Confusing description says “Test is normal.” Does that mean they are remanufactured?

So who wants to be the first Guinea Pig?

Last edited by Schnave; 02-01-2023 at 07:13 PM.
chassis (02-05-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 08:08 PM
aman408
Track Day

Certain large parts sites advertise them for about $1,800.

Surprisingly, I did find a source on Ali Express for $892. Shipping is expensive, $252, since it is shipped from China. Total cost $1,144 and over 100 batteries in stock, ready to ship.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US

It looks like the real deal; with a LIN connector and LG Chem manufacturer sticker. Confusing description says “Test is normal.” Does that mean they are remanufactured?

So who wants to be the first Guinea Pig?

Ooo... I am tempted but waiting a month is a bit long, my battery is gone. This one is a 9YO 915 105 L vs what mine says is a 9YO 915 105 K. Anyone know the difference between the K and L?
Old 02-01-2023, 09:20 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Ooo... I am tempted but waiting a month is a bit long, my battery is gone. This one is a 9YO 915 105 L vs what mine says is a 9YO 915 105 K. Anyone know the difference between the K and L?
I studied several battery labels and believe I found a correlation. The suffix letter denotes the year of manufacture, with a switchover sometime in June or July. Therefore, an L battery is newer than a K battery.

Last edited by Schnave; 02-01-2023 at 09:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
aman408 (02-02-2023), chassis (02-05-2023)

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Battery