Sponsored By:

Anything glaring missing from this '19 Turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 03:11 PM
Iconel
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anything glaring missing from this '19 Turbo build

Am considering my first Cayenne. I've found a '19 Turbo with the following options:

Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+) $1,500
Roof Rails in Satin Aluminum $830
Power Sunblind for Rear Side Windows $450
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) $2,000
Rear Axle Steering $1,620
Interior Trim in Dark Walnut $0
ParkAssist (Front and Rear) w/Surround View $1,200
SportDesign Package $5,660
Soft Close Doors $780
Porsche Crest on Headrests (Front and Rear) $570
Smartphone Compartment $560
Towing Package w/out Tow Ball $660
Head-Up Display $1,720
14-Way Power Seats w/Memory Package $0
21" Cayenne Turbo Wheels in Satin Platinum $1,900
Burmester 3D High-End Surround Sound System $5,810
Tinted Taillights $840
Premium Package Plus $3,690
Ionizer $400
Total Options $30,190

Is there anything I'm missing that's super important in this build. MSRP is $160k. Thanks...I'm new Cayenne.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:46 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Unless you’re planning to use them I don’t like the roof rails because they clash with the sport design of the Cayenne.
Soft closing doors are something that I don’t get either...
Old 09-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Iconel
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the perspective. I did just discover the build includes sport exhaust and massage seats. But, lacks the Sports Chrono package. So, my pointed question is how much might I miss sport+ mode in real world usage?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:49 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Iconel
Thanks for the perspective. I did just discover the build includes sport exhaust and massage seats. But, lacks the Sports Chrono package. So, my pointed question is how much might I miss sport+ mode in real world usage?
If you like to drive, you'll miss it substantially. If you plan to dawdle around town in your SUV that you'd prefer to be quiet, reserved and unassuming, you won't miss it at all. If the latter is the case, my advice is to save your money and go get a Highlander.

On the Turbo, Sport Chrono and associated Sport Plus present three big gets in my opinion, all of which should be mandatory on any Porsche.

1) "Go-Baby-Go" button, aka Push to Pass. We use this feature a few times a week, just to raise a little hell. Push the button, and for 20 seconds, the car tightens up like a panther about to pounce. Everything becomes hair-trigger -- throttle, transmission, suspension, you name it... Nail the throttle, and pretend like you're being launched from an aircraft carrier. It's a ball.
2) Sport Plus: See above, but notched down 10 percent. We drive around in Sport Plus on a semi-regular basis, because, well, it's a damned Porsche. On the Turbo, raising the idle speed also ups the torque right there substantially, to the point you've got to keep your foot firmly on the brake pedal at a stop or it'll roll forward, braking or no. To use another animal analogy, at idle with Sport Plus, the Turbo becomes a pit bull on a leash.
3) PSE interaction: In normal mode, PSE is fairly unobtrusive when engaged. There isn't much going on by opening those baffles except a slightly deeper, more resonant exhaust sound, inside and outside the car. Sport ups the ante with more noise and the occasion burble on downshift. Sport Plus, however, works with PSE to become bonkers on the Turbo. The decibel count heads for the sky, and there all sorts of pops, burbles, crackles and wooshes going on, especially on downshift. It's juvenile. It's silly. Some folks here think it's unbecoming of an SUV. To each his own -- again, you want a quiet SUV that elegantly glides from place to place, don't waste your money on a Porsche, for crying out loud. And if you're spending the money on a Porsche, my thinking is, make the thing a Porsche -- which means, it should handle like a Porsche; accelerate like a Porsche; brake a like a Porsche; and above all, sound like a Porsche. Just because it's shaped like an eggy barn-door doesn't mean it's any less of a performance vehicle. A 12-second quarter mile and .95g skidpad say so.

Juvenile? Yeah. Sure. Everybody thinks we're dicks for buying a Porsche anyway, so why not have fun and confirm the fact with a bunch of racket?

In short: Get the Sport Chrono. On a Turbo, it should be mandatory. You'll regret leaving it off. That plus PSE make the car for us. My wife has more fun driving around like a 17-year-old boy in a Camaro than I do.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:42 AM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up!

Question~can Sport Plus be turned without engaging PSE??

Thanks,
Old 09-21-2019, 06:17 PM
Iconel
Rennlist Member

Yes! I meant to add my thanks for this great write up. I passed on the build I shared due to your input on lack on sport Chrono. Now, I'm looking for one with it, PSE, the burmester audio set up and rear axle steer. I really appreciate your insight!
Old 09-22-2019, 02:17 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill P.
Nice write up! Question~can Sport Plus be turned without engaging PSE??
Hey Bill,

Yes, PSE can be operated independently in any drive mode. The more aggressive the drive mode, the more aggressive PSE becomes when you enable it.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:28 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
If you like to drive, you'll miss it substantially. If you plan to dawdle around town in your SUV that you'd prefer to be quiet, reserved and unassuming, you won't miss it at all. If the latter is the case, my advice is to save your money and go get a Highlander.

On the Turbo, Sport Chrono and associated Sport Plus present three big gets in my opinion, all of which should be mandatory on any Porsche.

1) "Go-Baby-Go" button, aka Push to Pass. We use this feature a few times a week, just to raise a little hell. Push the button, and for 20 seconds, the car tightens up like a panther about to pounce. Everything becomes hair-trigger -- throttle, transmission, suspension, you name it... Nail the throttle, and pretend like you're being launched from an aircraft carrier. It's a ball.
2) Sport Plus: See above, but notched down 10 percent. We drive around in Sport Plus on a semi-regular basis, because, well, it's a damned Porsche. On the Turbo, raising the idle speed also ups the torque right there substantially, to the point you've got to keep your foot firmly on the brake pedal at a stop or it'll roll forward, braking or no. To use another animal analogy, at idle with Sport Plus, the Turbo becomes a pit bull on a leash.
3) PSE interaction: In normal mode, PSE is fairly unobtrusive when engaged. There isn't much going on by opening those baffles except a slightly deeper, more resonant exhaust sound, inside and outside the car. Sport ups the ante with more noise and the occasion burble on downshift. Sport Plus, however, works with PSE to become bonkers on the Turbo. The decibel count heads for the sky, and there all sorts of pops, burbles, crackles and wooshes going on, especially on downshift. It's juvenile. It's silly. Some folks here think it's unbecoming of an SUV. To each his own -- again, you want a quiet SUV that elegantly glides from place to place, don't waste your money on a Porsche, for crying out loud. And if you're spending the money on a Porsche, my thinking is, make the thing a Porsche -- which means, it should handle like a Porsche; accelerate like a Porsche; brake a like a Porsche; and above all, sound like a Porsche. Just because it's shaped like an eggy barn-door doesn't mean it's any less of a performance vehicle. A 12-second quarter mile and .95g skidpad say so.

Juvenile? Yeah. Sure. Everybody thinks we're dicks for buying a Porsche anyway, so why not have fun and confirm the fact with a bunch of racket?

In short: Get the Sport Chrono. On a Turbo, it should be mandatory. You'll regret leaving it off. That plus PSE make the car for us. My wife has more fun driving around like a 17-year-old boy in a Camaro than I do.
I agree with the above statements if shopping the Turbo variant. If shopping base Cayenne, I don't think all the sport options are particularly necessary. If you're spending the money on the quickest, sharpest, loudest variant, why would you not option it accordingly?

I put every sport-oriented option into my Turbo Coupe for those reasons
The following users liked this post:
JCWLS3 (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 04:22 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I drive a turbo that is relatively loaded (but doesnt have the adaptive cruise control or the head up display so cannot comment on them)

Both air suspension and PDCC i find to be quite important for the driving dynamic of this car.
These are options you experience in the car all the time and contribute a lot to the ride quality and handling.

The soft close door i find to be of limited use, the seat ventilation is helpful (i live in a hot climate) and i use it a lot.
As for the Burmester, I highly recommend it despite the handsome price tag, especially if you like your music.
Best of luck.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:58 PM
George Smooth
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Hey Bill,

Yes, PSE can be operated independently in any drive mode. The more aggressive the drive mode, the more aggressive PSE becomes when you enable it.
Excuse my ignorance is PSE the sport exhaust? I skipped that as I didnt like the round tips but have regrets now.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:04 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George Smooth
Excuse my ignorance is PSE the sport exhaust? I skipped that as I didnt like the round tips but have regrets now.
Yes, PSE = Porsche Sport Exhaust.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:11 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

+1 re the PSE. I ordered it on my 2014 CS with the N/A V8, and it’s great! Mike
Old 10-04-2019, 12:04 AM
john rock
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

At this late date I would not take a 2019 unless you get $20,000 + off. You will loose almost $40,000 the first year, think of waiting for a 2020 the way you want it. I agree if you are looking at a Turbo you have to have chrono and the exhaust. I put 18 way sport seats, my not be worth to many but in an SUV I will appreciate them. If you get a great. Trade in o the current car you can get the dealer to do a short term lease on a Porsche Macan or bit more base Cayenne.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:53 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Iconel
Am considering my first Cayenne. I've found a '19 Turbo with the following options:

Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+) $1,500
Roof Rails in Satin Aluminum $830
Power Sunblind for Rear Side Windows $450
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) $2,000
Rear Axle Steering $1,620
Interior Trim in Dark Walnut $0
ParkAssist (Front and Rear) w/Surround View $1,200
SportDesign Package $5,660
Soft Close Doors $780
Porsche Crest on Headrests (Front and Rear) $570
Smartphone Compartment $560
Towing Package w/out Tow Ball $660
Head-Up Display $1,720
14-Way Power Seats w/Memory Package $0
21" Cayenne Turbo Wheels in Satin Platinum $1,900
Burmester 3D High-End Surround Sound System $5,810
Tinted Taillights $840
Premium Package Plus $3,690
Ionizer $400
Total Options $30,190

Is there anything I'm missing that's super important in this build. MSRP is $160k. Thanks...I'm new Cayenne.
If you are in a hot sunny area, you need the infra-red radiation reflecting windows option, makes a huge difference for how hot it gets inside the vehicle..

Quick Reply: Anything glaring missing from this '19 Turbo build