Sponsored By:

Cayenne Colour coding lower rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 07:01 AM
ArnieCayenne
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Colour coding lower rear bumper

Has anyone had the lower rear bumper painted or wrapped? My car is black, but I really dislike the grey plastic lower bumper, it's far too big of an area and looks cheap. I've been told it can't be wrapped as it has a slight texture to it, but would consider having i painted or buying a body kit. I don't like the look of the sport design package either. Any other options?
Old 12-02-2019, 10:32 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,147 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by ArnieCayenne
Has anyone had the lower rear bumper painted or wrapped? My car is black, but I really dislike the grey plastic lower bumper, it's far too big of an area and looks cheap. I've been told it can't be wrapped as it has a slight texture to it, but would consider having i painted or buying a body kit. I don't like the look of the sport design package either. Any other options?
It can be wrapped with a caveat. It needs to be sanded smooth first or else the texture will show through the wrap, as minor as it is. The pushback is because wraps whole purpose is to change the color while preserving whatever is underneath. It's similar effort to sand and paint at that point.

IMO even something as simple as something like this would be 100% better. Referring to the painted part on the bottom.
https://www.vividracing.com/-p-15077...AaApfTEALw_wcB
Old 12-03-2019, 11:48 AM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 114 Posts

The lower black plastic is why I am ordering my Cayenne with a sport design package. Not sure why Porsche decided to go with the "tough" look, especially since maybe only 5% of owners take them off road.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:07 PM
meyecul
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 206 Posts

This is one of the reasons I went with the quartzite gray. While not perfect, of all the colors, it blends the best with the plastic without having to go sport design pkg.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:06 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSchnee
The lower black plastic is why I am ordering my Cayenne with a sport design package. Not sure why Porsche decided to go with the "tough" look, especially since maybe only 5% of owners take them off road.
oh let me think-to make an extra $6300 bingo
Old 12-06-2019, 08:18 AM
TXSchnee
Racer

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
oh let me think-to make an extra $6300 bingo
The $3600 Sport Front Fascia package gets rid of the black cladding, and costs the same as the M Sport Package on most BMWs (not sure what the AMG appearance packages cost on MB), so it is just regular German luxury greed. That said, I would rather have my car look nice and spend a bit more than live with cladding that is common on a Subaru.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:49 PM
ArnieCayenne
6th Gear

I don't like the sport design pack though either, it doesn't look right IMO, particularly the rear bumper. M-sport on BMW is more than just plastic trim though, it usually changes the suspension (adaptive dampers etc.) and driving modes and wheels also, as well as the interior.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:55 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

I don't like the sport design pack though either, it doesn't look right IMO, particularly the rear bumper. M-sport on BMW is more than just plastic trim though, it usually changes the suspension (adaptive dampers etc.) and driving modes and wheels also, as well as the interior.
M Sport Pack changes the black plastic cladding for different side skirts, front and rear fascias, it also gives you a “sport” transmission (driving modes),an M Sport Steering wheel, slightly different seats and headliner. It does not change the suspension, that is a separate charge/upgrade. I have had 3 BMW X Series, and all have had the M Sport package, it is basically an appearance package. It is fine if you don’t like the Porsche SportDesign packages, but you can get the painted pieces for much less than $6300.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:09 PM
ArnieCayenne
6th Gear

M Sport definitely does add adaptive dampers and/or stiffer springs in Europe. I've had 5 M Sport BMWs. Quote from What Car UK about the new 3 series:

"M Sport models, on their stiffer M Sport suspension, are even firmer. Impacts over sharp road imperfections are more pronounced, so be warned: sportiness really does take a higher priority than comfort."
Old 12-06-2019, 01:26 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

M Sport definitely does add adaptive dampers and/or stiffer springs in Europe. I've had 5 M Sport BMWs. Quote from What Car UK about the new 3 series:

"M Sport models, on their stiffer M Sport suspension, are even firmer. Impacts over sharp road imperfections are more pronounced, so be warned: sportiness really does take a higher priority than comfort."
Ahh, I am in the US, so that is the difference.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Colour coding lower rear bumper