Coding Cayenne E3

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 09:38 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 724 Posts
Default Coding Cayenne E3

I'd like to start a thread 9YA coding. At the time of this, PIWIS 3 is required, original or clone.
Proceed at your own risk. you can easily brick one or more modules. This is for research only and the car should not be driven at all, nowhere. Not even started. Results will vary. Professional driver on closed course etc.

I'm just starting, the literature on the subject is minimal, but beemers were like that at a point.

Plug in an external battery maintainer. Be careful with that. PlplaWith the PIWIS in engineer mode, connect the car, turn on the ignition.

Diagnostics-F7 (additional menu)- maintenance data- press next until the list of options populate in German.

find the entries for what you want to change.
For example, two entries for
headlights, choose PLDS+ incl Matrix. - Save (F8).
Go back to the initial menu. Choose all modules- programming- automatic programming.
Wait and freak out about the lights and sounds.
Read and delete errors. This is still not tested for full functionality- edit to be added here.

Under F7 there's an option for start stop. One can change it to without (ohne) and live free from that, but that's not good for the environment.

Baby steps. All takes time and patience here. Code more than one thing and you may find yourself sorting for what went wrong, in German.

Tal lots of pictures of the chosen modules so you can backtrack. Google translate is your friend.

It can take some time and voltage fluctuation is your enemy. Find a hefty maintainer. Porsche recommends 90A. I went with 75A. Some use 55A. Check the drain versus your home fuse box.

Let's post experiences here. I know there's a lot of options under coding for several modules, but once connected to the car I could not access (manual coding without rules). In there lies a lot of options.

We should be able to code (for research purposes only), raise and low windows with key fob , close rear deck with key fob, possibly android car (it's there, I've seen it), individualize the dashboard and PCM screens.

Well, good luck to all. I hope this thread helps all of us on this.
The following 12 users liked this post by John Mclane:
8378hjlafdljfads (11-26-2020), browncf (04-28-2021), CayenneVenom (09-19-2023), ctguy (02-27-2024), dasams (11-25-2020), Duka (04-19-2021), John__C (12-14-2020), OCNYPORSCHE (11-27-2020), rlhyde (06-10-2021), Schwarz992C4S (07-06-2023), SF_ (01-01-2021), TempeAndy (11-26-2020) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-26-2020, 03:11 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 608 Likes on 372 Posts

Thanks John. I assume your instructions will make more sense when staring at the actual PIWIS 3 screen.

BTW what battery maintainer are you using during programming on your Cayenne lithium battery? 55A is up there!
Old 11-26-2020, 03:32 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Thanks John. I assume your instructions will make more sense when staring at the actual PIWIS 3 screen.

BTW what battery maintainer are you using during programming on your Cayenne lithium battery? 55A is up there!
I went with this one:

https://www.batterystuff.com/power-s...pmbc-75lk.html

Yes, it will make more sense once you have the PIWIS up and running. I tried experimenting without connecting to the car, just to see what's there. It's a lot. Unfortunately I'm yet to figure how to activate that part of coding (programming option) using manual coding. Android auto, garage pilot, advanced screen menus, deck lid operation, traffic sign recognition, to name a few.

On the 992 GT3 there's a yellow/blue shift light, that I'd like to see it working on my 992. Also on that car, the TPMS is on the left, which is helpful on track days. I don't think a lot of hardware differences exist as it's cheaper to build on thing and just write different softwares.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:29 PM
unskirted
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 21 Posts

great thread. interested in learning whats possible on e3's
Old 12-12-2020, 01:11 PM
runbuh
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 105 Posts

I am changing this message to be the "wish list and links to how it's done" links post. Links will come as I have time to edit. PM me if you want something added to the wish list (because I might miss it if you post below).

If you want to know general steps on how to use a Launch x431 (I use a PROS Mini), look here: https://www.macanforum.com/threads/p...5#post-2627547

Disable Auto Start Stop
- PIWIS 3: Read post #30: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post17122196, and follow those steps to change START/STOPP-ANLAGE/REKUPERATION from 7L8 - START/STOPP "DEFAULT ON" MIT REKUP to 7L7 - REKUPERATION (OHNE START/STOPP
- x431: Working: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post17202766

Full matrix PDLS+ light functionality
- PIWIS 3: Still trying to figure it out
- x431: Still trying to figure it out

Coding off Seat Belt Chimes
- PIWIS 3: ???
- x431: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post17182156

Comfort Open/Close of Windows and Sunroof via the handheld remote
- x431: Rear-end Electronics - there are lots of Comfort Opening settings for vehicle, keys (1-4), and user accounts (1-7). I tried the vehicle settings only, to no avail. Will try the keys next.

Hatch close with handheld remote:
- x431: ???

Coding off passenger airbag chimes

Enable cutting off headlights such that they stay off (or stay off longer) for driving through holiday lighting displays

Flash sidemarker light with turn signal:
- x431: Front-end Electronics: Kodiewert: P150_Ansteuerung Laderdruckstellar Bank 2-sidemarker_also_as_indicator: Set to Active.
(yes - it says Exterior lighting twice)

Change your speedometer scale (does nothing to change your vehicle's actual top speed):
- x431: Instrument Cluster: Coding value 3-Byte Field 3-Speedometer scale: Pick your value from the limited options displayed. I chose 350km/h, so my speedo now shows 225 mph on the top end

Set the number of flashes for the one-touch turn signal (NOTE: THIS SEEMS TO HAVE CHANGED - I CAN NO LONGER FIND THIS)
- x431: Front-end Electronics: Turn signal control-Freeway Flashing, flashing cycles: set the desired number, I used 4.

Change the instrument panel clock pointer color (not the clock on the dash).
- x431: Instrument cluster: Coding value 2-More codings IV-Clock Pointer color: choose from White, Red, Green, or "tbd"

Enable Wireless CarPlay in MY2019 that only came with wired CarPlay
- PIWIS 3: MIB2 (Zentralrechner) --> Manual Coding without rules --> Vehicle Configuration --> Bitfield (7) Apple_DIO_Wireless: On and Bitfield (5) wlan_5ghz_switch: On
- x431: PCM: Vehicle_configuration-Apple_DIO_Wireless: On / PCM: Vehicle_configuration_wlan_5Ghz_switch: Activated (seems to work - not thoroughly tested)

Enable the Boost Tube, and other gauge features, in the Instrument Cluster (replaces the coolant tube at the bottom of the right-side gauge):
- x431: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post17262645

PM me your additions (and whatever I've missed below).

@John Mclane If you can document what you've done, maybe edit some of your existing posts, to include specifics about what you did, and where you did it, in PIWIS (not just screen shots), that would be most welcome!

Last edited by runbuh; 06-04-2021 at 12:19 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by runbuh:
browncf (04-04-2021), gsxrjjordan (09-14-2021), MaxLTV (04-14-2021), ocmsrzr (06-07-2021)
Old 12-12-2020, 01:59 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by runbuh
Mr. Cowboy - got any ideas on how to make it so you can cut off the headlights AND THEY STAY OFF?

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-annoying.html
There's a lot of "remember last setting" options when coding module per module. I can see those when I navigate the coding menus without being connected to the car.
For instance, seat heating/ventilation, a/c temp, steering wheel heat, sport mode, ***, numerous disclaimers etc. when I connect to the car those menus don't appear to me. I'm missing a step for sure. I searched but there's very little in the internet's regarding the modules.

What works now is finding the car options on the additional menu, change them and automatically code all the modules.
On the cayenne, there's the obvious 8G4 that is LED including matrix and turn off ***. There's a setting fo DDL for different world markets. I'd imagine one of them would mean manual control override. I did not try it, as every time you code there's a risk, at least without a shop manual.
There must be a way to code module per module as mentioned above, for more detailed tailored options. I'll post if I find something. If anyone was successful, please share...

Last edited by John Mclane; 12-12-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:30 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Managed to do a couple of things. Going slowly to avoid mishaps.

Increase time between pressing the trunk lid close button and it start moving. Useful on tight spaces. Close lid with remote control is next.

Allowed for keyboard and all music availability on CarPlay.

Shut off some of the disclaimers. Left the legally required warnings.

Found where the *** strategy is written. They have preset programs. It may only mean when and why it comes to action or if it remembers the last setting. Needs testing.

All the read and writing takes time. If you do too much at once and something goes wrong, it can be a pain to undo everything. So, baby steps.

Interesting that I found Cayenne GT in the list of models. GTS was there too, so that makes you wonder what's the deal with that.
Old 12-19-2020, 03:56 PM
Heegoogoo1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi , is it true that i can activate Lane Keep assist by coding for my cayenne coupe 2021 ? Without the dealer? Is it a code only ? Note my car is equipped with Active cruise control and active lane assist but without lane keep assist .
Can any one please check?if it will work ill buy the program unit .
thanking you .
Old 12-19-2020, 05:25 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Heegoogoo1
Hi , is it true that i can activate Lane Keep assist by coding for my cayenne coupe 2021 ? Without the dealer? Is it a code only ? Note my car is equipped with Active cruise control and active lane assist but without lane keep assist .
Can any one please check?if it will work ill buy the program unit .
thanking you .
My cayenne doesn't have ACC, but I don't think it matters for LKA or lane change assist as they use the windshield camera.

The radar uses fir the detection of cars (blind spot) uses the parking sensors if I'm not mistaken. The active steering function may require some specific hardware.

I'm going to try that on my 992 that has ACC and active steering. In all likelihood there may be a missing or different module.
The following users liked this post:
Heegoogoo1 (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 08:56 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Couple of things done. Airbag activate/deactivate disclaimer is gone. Added sport chrono (Laptimer) for the right screen menu. allowed for keyboard and full music access with CarPlay in motion.

Added off-road and sport chrono to the HUD.

Activated expert menu.

I'm almost certain that one can customize what on which screen to have info. Eg, navigation map on the left, car info on the right and so on. It seems all the fields are vastly customizable.
Android auto is there. Not sure if added hardware would be required.
Attached Images      
The following 4 users liked this post by John Mclane:
androidcn (03-23-2021), elga (04-02-2023), Heegoogoo1 (12-19-2020), John__C (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 09:46 PM
John__C
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

I hope you are taking good notes John. What would be EXTREMELY helpful is a complete walkthrough. Especially since you say the menus are largely in German.

ie. You should do one thing at a time. You must first connect and enter engineering mode, then make one change, then save. To make multiple changes, go through that entire process multiple times.

To connect to the car and get into engineering mode, do the following...

Then you should choose one and only one of the following changes...

If you want to do X, then do the following... hit A then hit B then choose C

If you want to change Y, do the following...

etc.

After each change, hit “gesaven” and test.

That kind of step by step instructions would be incredibly useful. I know I would love to have that type of reference if it is something you are able and willing to pull together.

Big thanks for being the pioneer on this. It has been great to watch your progress.

thanks!

Last edited by John__C; 12-19-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Heegoogoo1 (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 09:51 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jchasta1n
I hope you are taking good notes John. What would be EXTREMELY helpful is a complete walkthrough. Especially since you say the menus are largely in German.

ie. You should do one thing at a time. You must first connect and enter engineering mode, then make one change, then save. To make multiple changes, go through that entire process multiple times.

To connect to the car and get into engineering mode, do the following...

Then you should choose one and only one of the following changes...

If you want to do X, then do the following... hit A then hit B then choose C

If you want to change Y, do the following...

etc.

After each change, hit “gesaven” and test.

That kind of step by step instructions would be incredibly useful. I know I would love to have that type of reference of it is something you are able and willing to pull together.

thanks!
I'm taking pictures before saving any changes, in case I get error messages. No more than 3 changes at a time. Several were ineffective. Some left a blank screen on the dashboard menus (traffic sign recognition-to me coded).

Once I hook up to a desktop it will be easier to show where things are on such pictures. They have the module so it's easy to find and make changes.

Like the pic attached, which is for demonstration purposes only, I would never fiddle with the great ***
Attached Images  

Last edited by John Mclane; 12-19-2020 at 10:06 PM.
John__C (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 11:29 PM
Heegoogoo1
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Couple of things done. Airbag activate/deactivate disclaimer is gone. Added sport chrono (Laptimer) for the right screen menu. allowed for keyboard and full music access with CarPlay in motion.

Added off-road and sport chrono to the HUD.

Activated expert menu.

I'm almost certain that one can customize what on which screen to have info. Eg, navigation map on the left, car info on the right and so on. It seems all the fields are vastly customizable.
Android auto is there. Not sure if added hardware would be required.
can you please check if you can activate Active Lane keep ? Thanks 🙏
Old 12-19-2020, 11:35 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Heegoogoo1
can you please check if you can activate Active Lane keep ? Thanks 🙏
That needs activation in a different menu, where the car options are written. I'm quite sure it's there. After I take the car to the shop for an unrelated issue, I'll try it. I don't want them to see modules changing before warranty service.
Heegoogoo1 (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 11:54 PM
Heegoogoo1
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Mclane
That needs activation in a different menu, where the car options are written. I'm quite sure it's there. After I take the car to the shop for an unrelated issue, I'll try it. I don't want them to see modules changing before warranty service.
thank you 🌹🌹🌹

Quick Reply: Coding Cayenne E3