Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What mode is the best to use in snow and ice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 08:22 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome - thanks guys!
Old 02-19-2021, 11:23 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedster
The only "mode" that really works for snow and ice is installing real winter tires. I use a separate set of wheels and handle the swap myself.
Agree - we use studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta's for winter and BFG KO2s for three season. All season tires are a compromise for every season. We also have a full size spare as the donut spare is not of much use in winter snow/ice conditions. In difficult conditions we also use the Sport mode to go slow, it will hold a lower gear longer.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:54 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
Agree - we use studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta's for winter and BFG KO2s for three season. All season tires are a compromise for every season. We also have a full size spare as the donut spare is not of much use in winter snow/ice conditions. In difficult conditions we also use the Sport mode to go slow, it will hold a lower gear longer.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:33 AM
nut855
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
Remember that unless you have Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus PTV+, you don't get rear differential locking. Only center differential locking will be available, which may be a problem depending on what your offroad/snow conditions/situation is.

On my older Mercedes SUVs, which I off-roaded from time to time, I would had been handicapped without all diff locking.
Are you sure we don’t have rear diff locking standard? I see the option in my Off-road settings, at least when I select the mud or sand setting. I never configured Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus PTV+. Now that I think about it, it doesn’t even look like an option in the Cayenne configurator.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:26 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
curious as to why you want your vehicle to hold a lower gear longer on snow and ice?
I might use a lower gear when going down a hill with ice/snow/slush to use the engine braking instead of the brake pedal. Rather than Spot mode, I just put it in Manual shift mode while going down the hill. When not going down a hill, Sport mode can cause the tires to spin on snow. Like racing in the rain, a gentle throttle works best in the snow.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:41 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
I might use a lower gear when going down a hill with ice/snow/slush to use the engine braking instead of the brake pedal. Rather than Spot mode, I just put it in Manual shift mode while going down the hill. When not going down a hill, Sport mode can cause the tires to spin on snow. Like racing in the rain, a gentle throttle works best in the snow.
Got it. I ban see gearing down to use engine braking but a lower gear on acceleration can lead to wheel spin. Having a fair bit of winter driving experience (western Canada) I can attest to the fact that the best snow mode is a good set of winter tires and judicious application of the throttle. As to studs, they are indicated for areas that experience snow and ice covered roads and are at a disadvantage compared to non studded tires on dry/wet concrete. Or so Nokian advised when I called to get help with winter tire selection.

Quick Reply: What mode is the best to use in snow and ice?