Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What mode is the best to use in snow and ice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 10:50 PM
nut855
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What mode is the best to use in snow and ice?

Apologies if this has been posted before but I couldn’t find an answer through search.

Should I be using an “off-road mode” when driving in snow? I have a base 2020 with all-season tires and I’ll be taking a ski trip up to Vermont. I’m aware that snow tires will be the solution here, but I’m curious to why there’s no “snow” mode on the vehicle.

1) What mode should I be in if I’m driving on a paved highway while it’s snowing?
2) What mode should I be in if I’m slowly driving into deeper snow on a mountain?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2021, 11:16 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

Hard to say why there is no dedicated mode for snow but my guess would be because "Snow" means very different things and requires different types of driving. For example, a thin cover of snow on the pavement is close to a wet road (smooth angles, avoid any slip), compacted snow or not very deep fresh or rough snow is more like dirt - you need some slip to get going and stop, and deep snow is more like sand - any slip will dig you in.

#1 - normal mode works fine for that.
#2 - I usually use normal or dirt for that and sometimes have to raise the vehicle. If you get stuck, though, do "Rocks" locking all the diffs that lock and raising the ride height to the max.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:58 AM
hdawg
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I read somewhere that sand is the best mode for snow but seems strange that porsche omitted a snow mode in the first place.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:48 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 298 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by nut855
Apologies if this has been posted before but I couldn’t find an answer through search.

Should I be using an “off-road mode” when driving in snow? I have a base 2020 with all-season tires and I’ll be taking a ski trip up to Vermont. I’m aware that snow tires will be the solution here, but I’m curious to why there’s no “snow” mode on the vehicle.

1) What mode should I be in if I’m driving on a paved highway while it’s snowing?
2) What mode should I be in if I’m slowly driving into deeper snow on a mountain?

Thanks
Remember that unless you have Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus PTV+, you don't get rear differential locking. Only center differential locking will be available, which may be a problem depending on what your offroad/snow conditions/situation is.

On my older Mercedes SUVs, which I off-roaded from time to time, I would had been handicapped without all diff locking.

Last edited by PorscheACC; 02-09-2021 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:53 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 153 Posts

The only "mode" that really works for snow and ice is installing real winter tires. I use a separate set of wheels and handle the swap myself. If you have never experienced winter tires you will be astounded at the difference they make and never rely on all season tires for anything more than a dusting of snow. Check Tire Rack reviews for the best tire and wheel sizes and brands for your vehicle and find a local installer.
The following 6 users liked this post by Tedster:
donutcritic (02-28-2021), Gasguzlr (03-08-2021), MM3.9GT3 (02-12-2021), PorscheACC (02-10-2021), RS-America (02-19-2021), Russian Mafia (02-11-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-11-2021, 07:15 AM
Sobrut911
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I’m also a believer in a set of snows tires on a second set of rims. I’ve been using snow tires on my SUV’s for years and they make a huge difference. I swap them out myself so the real cost are the rims and TPMS because every mile I drive on the snows is one less mile on the all weathers. I don’t know which mode is best, but I believe turning traction control off will help if you’re stuck or in deep snow. If you don’t want to swap out the tires yourself you can get them at Town Faire tire and they will swap them out for free every season.
The following users liked this post:
fuenfer (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 08:58 AM
pbon
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 111 Posts

After driving in 2 snowstorms with the 20” all seasons on my 21 Cayenne S, I bought a set of 19s with snows. Definitely a big improvement and the car is still tolerable to drive in the dry with the narrower, squishier tires. The 19s with Michelin snows were back ordered and gone from Germany so I had to get the Pirelli snows instead, which I don’t think are quite as good.
fuenfer (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 04:44 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pbon
After driving in 2 snowstorms with the 20” all seasons on my 21 Cayenne S, I bought a set of 19s with snows. Definitely a big improvement and the car is still tolerable to drive in the dry with the narrower, squishier tires. The 19s with Michelin snows were back ordered and gone from Germany so I had to get the Pirelli snows instead, which I don’t think are quite as good.
Which wheels did you get? I'm not thrilled about the options I've seen so far on Tire Rack.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:01 PM
pbon
Racer

There were no wheels I liked on TR, but I could have gotten the Michelin snows. Instead, I bought the Porsche package for about $3100. Expensive but keeps the car looking stock. One of these was in stock with Pirelli snows and one not in stock and back ordered from Germany with Michelin snows.

9Y0-044-610-A is Michelin

9Y0-044-611-A is Pirelli

Old 02-11-2021, 07:16 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

There were no wheels I liked on TR, but I could have gotten the Michelin snows. Instead, I bought the Porsche package for about $3100. Expensive but keeps the car looking stock. One of these was in stock with Pirelli snows and one not in stock and back ordered from Germany with Michelin snows.

9Y0-044-610-A is Michelin

9Y0-044-611-A is Pirelli

That's really not much more (about $500) than the packages I saw on Tire Rack - no brainer to go with the Porsche wheels in that case! Thank you!!
Old 02-11-2021, 08:02 PM
pbon
Racer

The center crest hub covers from my stock 20” wheels fit these stock 19” wheels perfectly. That can be an issue with aftermarket.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:18 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 153 Posts

Dedicated snow season wheels should be the smallest diameter that will work with your brake type. Check the base wheel size for your model year as a reference. And pick the narrowest width winter tires tires if there is a choice. That will give you the best traction and also some protection from potholes. In the Chicago area I get two great seasons and maybe one OK one out of a set. Yokohama makes great snow tires for a lot less then Michelin. We get enough snow and ice here that is pays to be ready starting in November. Just don't drive on them too long if it gets above 50F or you will wear them out faster.
MM3.9GT3 (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 06:32 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

The center crest hub covers from my stock 20” wheels fit these stock 19” wheels perfectly. That can be an issue with aftermarket.
With the Porsche winter wheels/tires package that you posted above, do you need to have the dealer reprogram or otherwise reset the TPMS to "see" the winter wheels when you swap them over? Or does the car automatically pick up the new sensors on the winter package?
Old 02-13-2021, 06:50 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by fuenfer
With the Porsche winter wheels/tires package that you posted above, do you need to have the dealer reprogram or otherwise reset the TPMS to "see" the winter wheels when you swap them over? Or does the car automatically pick up the new sensors on the winter package?
You set the type of tire in the PCM. Car > Control > vehicle settings > TPMS
Old 02-13-2021, 07:33 PM
pbon
Racer

Originally Posted by dasams
You set the type of tire in the PCM. Car > Control > vehicle settings > TPMS
Yes, just choose “winter 19” or something like that and then drive for a little while.

Quick Reply: What mode is the best to use in snow and ice?