Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Lithium Battery Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 12:16 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
I just returned a 2023 base loaner that had an AGM battery. I think we'll see a lot of new Cayennes with AGM.
.2 uses AGM.

What remains missing in action is a parts list to convert a .1 LiFePOS to AGM. And whether or not coding is required. Battery registration is required. Whether or not coding is required, remains unknown.

Old 10-11-2023, 10:51 AM
Woofman
Pro

Received 470 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
.2 uses AGM.

What remains missing in action is a parts list to convert a .1 LiFePOS to AGM. And whether or not coding is required. Battery registration is required. Whether or not coding is required, remains unknown.
I reported this information in the February post I pointed to a couple of posts back in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post18641989

People interested in converting from Li-Ion to AGM can contact their local Porsche dealership for a parts list. I was told at my local Porsche dealership that, other than the AGM battery, the only part needed was a negative battery cable and that coding was necessary to change a setting. Since the service writer and the parts department manager didn't do any research to provide this information to me, I have to assume that they had dealt with this issue previously.

If you are interested in doing this battery switch, ask your local Porsche dealership to give you a written estimate detailing parts and labor for your specific Cayenne. That's what I did before I had an OEM hitch installed at the Porsche dealership last summer. What options you have might affect whether the switch can be done - such as whether PDCC and/or RAS require Li-Ion.

The following users liked this post:
chassis (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 12:23 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
I reported this information in the February post I pointed to a couple of posts back in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post18641989

People interested in converting from Li-Ion to AGM can contact their local Porsche dealership for a parts list. I was told at my local Porsche dealership that, other than the AGM battery, the only part needed was a negative battery cable and that coding was necessary to change a setting. Since the service writer and the parts department manager didn't do any research to provide this information to me, I have to assume that they had dealt with this issue previously.

If you are interested in doing this battery switch, ask your local Porsche dealership to give you a written estimate detailing parts and labor for your specific Cayenne. That's what I did before I had an OEM hitch installed at the Porsche dealership last summer. What options you have might affect whether the switch can be done - such as whether PDCC and/or RAS require Li-Ion.
My dealership here in Houston said this was NOT possible back in April of this year. So, $2800 later for a new battery....
chassis (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 12:59 PM
Woofman
Pro

Originally Posted by function12
My dealership here in Houston said this was NOT possible back in April of this year. So, $2800 later for a new battery....
Was it due to your Cayenne having particular features? If so, which features?
Old 10-12-2023, 09:37 PM
Woofman
Pro

Originally Posted by function12
So ... I dropped by my local Porsche dealership today to ask one of the two employees who told me in February that it was easy to switch from Li-Ion to AGM. It was if our February conversation never happened. The employee - the parts department manager - told me today that it was impossible to switch from Li-Ion to AGM without a long list of modifications. I have no idea what is going on with this guy. Reality? Corporate Politics? I didn't see any point in pressing the matter since I don't want to alienate this guy and it's not an issue for me since mine is already AGM.
chassis (10-12-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 10:50 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woofman
So ... I dropped by my local Porsche dealership today to ask one of the two employees who told me in February that it was easy to switch from Li-Ion to AGM. It was if our February conversation never happened. The employee - the parts department manager - told me today that it was impossible to switch from Li-Ion to AGM without a long list of modifications. I have no idea what is going on with this guy. Reality? Corporate Politics? I didn't see any point in pressing the matter since I don't want to alienate this guy and it's not an issue for me since mine is already AGM.
Expected response from the dealer.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:35 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by Cincy_Ron; 11-18-2023 at 11:56 PM.
George718 (11-17-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 10:38 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 215 Posts

Does anyone have more info on this factory lithium ion battery's construction and its internal components?
Old 11-18-2023, 10:55 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

In detail, no.

Generally, it's a garden variety 12V LiFePO4 battery with on board electronics to interface with the BMS. And an on-board LIN connection, unlike the AGM which has the LIN connector integral with the negative battery cable/harness.
Old 11-18-2023, 11:34 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

I am beginning to think owning these cars isn't worth the price. One water pump, PSCB, or the battery can set you back thousands. All of them can set you back enough money to buy a new domestic car.
The following 2 users liked this post by SilverSteel:
George718 (11-19-2023), PorscheACC (11-19-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 11:34 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

This video outlines some issues w audi lithium ion - there is some component sharing between brands etc. as most of us are aware. The idea he mentions is that the e-bike mechanics are the most experience with this battery tech, and they can sometimes revive a battery a dealer won't be able to revive.

chassis (11-19-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 11:39 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

@SilverSteel this is why toyota exists. my dad has moved to all toyota in his retirement. i view it was a balance question each person has must answer for themselves. does one want an amazing car that will take some investment (which isn't very practical fiscally speaking), or does one want a perfectly fine/adequate car where the focus is reliability and practicality?
chassis (11-19-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 11:46 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

Yeah, I agree. I don't mind spending the money for the vehicle, but do mind paying $2k for a battery, or $5k for a water pump, or $16k for brakes, $500 for spark plugs (other than dealer), crap like this just really irritates me. My Ferrari was cheaper to own, to be honest. Just a note, my daughter's boyfriend drives a truck and he needs new shocks, each costs $600 and roughly $300 to replace. I need a bike.

Last edited by SilverSteel; 11-19-2023 at 03:01 PM.
chassis (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 12:04 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

there is a new porsche protection plan product porsche financial services has - at least my impression is it is new, but i haven't confirmed that detail. either way, it's a 72 month 72,000 mile deal. It includes wearables - including one brake job including pads and rotors, one battery replacement, belts, hoses etc. I am waiting for my dealer to get me the fine details. The one question I specifically asked for was the brake replacement weasel language because the plan includes it. My question to the dealer was: how many mm do the pads have to be down to to qualify for the replacement under the plan, and same question for the rotors - what thickness do the rotors need to be down to to qualify for replacement under the plan. Once i have that detail, I'll report back. A buddy of mine just spent 5,000 Canadian dollars on his 2015 S6 brakes - so even one brake job on the cayenne would make the plan porsche has worth it.
chassis (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 08:46 AM
E'TLS
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

So far, 2024 non-hybrid Cayenne owners are all reporting that the onboard battery is AGM type.
chassis (11-19-2023)

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Lithium Battery Failure