Sponsored By:

PPF and Ceramic Cost Check

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 03:17 PM
broadway12
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PPF and Ceramic Cost Check

I am located in the Seattle area and am getting quotes of $5K+ for the following:

1. Tint on all windows and windshield (xpel ceramic XR) - $1000
2. Full front PPF (xpel) - $2500
3. Ceramic coating (feynlab) - $1400
4. Interior coating (feynlab) - $400

It seems extremely expensive. I thought trying to bundle everything would save money but am wondering if i should shop individually. I have checked around 5 shops. Am willing to drive if anyone knows of better prices around. Was hoping to be around $3-4k max. The best quote from a reputable shop I have is $4900 cash no tax charged for all the above.

Thoughts on skipping interior coating? I was thinking I could buy something and spray it on myself, unsure how hard it is.

The following users liked this post:
rdboxster (01-08-2024)
Old 09-14-2021, 04:12 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 695 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by broadway12
I am located in the Seattle area and am getting quotes of $5K+ for the following:

It seems extremely expensive. I thought trying to bundle everything would save money but am wondering if i should shop individually. I have checked around 5 shops. Am willing to drive if anyone knows of better prices around. Was hoping to be around $3-4k max. The best quote from a reputable shop I have is $4900 cash no tax charged for all the above.

Thoughts on skipping interior coating? I was thinking I could buy something and spray it on myself, unsure how hard it is.
I skipped it all. How much can It cost to paint the hood it if gets sand blasted? It can't be $5K! I've owned cars for almost 50 years and have never bought any of these protection packages. I have an 11 and 14 year old and when they were younger, I hung a seat back protector in my 2013 BMW 535 and when I dropped it off off at the dealer at the end of the 39 month lease, the car was accepted back without any comment. The question I ask myself with these protection packages is whether I'll earn it back on resale or lease return? if not, I don't bother. Now, if it was a 911 that I'd be hanging onto for 10 years and wanted to keep it pristine, I might consider it. Is that how you think about your Cayenne?

Last edited by kayjh; 09-14-2021 at 04:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kayjh:
BallJack (09-15-2021), George718 (01-08-2024)
Old 09-14-2021, 05:29 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 157 Posts

On our 2021 Cayenne I just had the full ceramic coating done (including wheels), mostly because it makes washing and drying it so much easier. Compared to my 992S (for which I did do a partial PPF and full ceramic) the Cayenne seems to get far fewer chips, almost none so PPF would seem to be a waste. Of course if you live in a rural area and drive on gravel roads much then PPF might make sense. The standard window tint is fine too. The interior leather should also hold up well enough without an extra coating, unless you have children that like to finger paint or eat messy foods while you drive!. Cayennes are built to take a fair amount of abuse so just drive it as is.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tedster:
mdrobc1213 (01-09-2024), Miggytosh (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 12:50 PM
DC021
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

Full Front Xpel Ultimate (Bumper, Fenders, Hood, Headlights and A-Pillar) in my area is $1800.

Xpel Tint for front windows only was $220.

I would apply opti-coat on windscreen and do the ceramic coating myself if I was so inclined to do so… but our Cayenne will probably never be hand washed, lucky to go thru a touch less wash once a week - so ymmv.

Last edited by DC021; 09-15-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:19 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

I did the ceramic coating myself and got excellent results -- did it when the vehicle was new, clayed it then used this kit:

https://www.esotericcarcare.com/kami...g-coating-kit/
The following 2 users liked this post by philg3:
Ironman88 (01-08-2024), mdrobc1213 (01-09-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 03:49 PM
ricktu
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am researching many of these same things for my 2024 Cayenne - due to be delivered to me in February. I plan on keeping the Cayenne for a while, so am not against doing some initial up-front costs to maintain its look for time to come. I'm thinking of full front PPF + Ceramic coat for the rest of the exterior. I'm also interested in coating the windshield. It rains a lot in Seattle and I've liked the help things like RainX provide in terms of beading up the water (help with visibility).

Also, any recommendations with shops in Seattle for this work? I don't think I'll do it myself.
Old 01-08-2024, 05:11 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 241 Posts

i live in seattle and took my car up to victoria to “SHC Autographx and Tires”. Prices down here in the U.S. are absurd for ceramic coating and PPF. I just did ceramic coating and the cost from SHC was 1895$ canadian. after their tax it was 2000 something, which is 1500$ US. For full PPF i think they wanted another 2200$ canadian. I didn’t do it because i don’t like PPF myself, but down here people will want 8 to 10k for full PPF and ceramic coating. they needed my car for 3 full days. i was leaving town for a few weeks so i just left it up there. it will cost 450$ in ferries to drop the car off and pic the car up. 100 each way for the auto. and 125$ for each ride on the clipper. other option is u can stay up there for 3 or 4 nights and do a mini get away.

and btw, the price for ceramic coating included all the wheels, all the glass, all the plastics. down here they nickel and dime u for every little thing.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 01-08-2024 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 05:49 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Just some thoughts on this:

1) I would skip the interior treatment altogether. The interior materials in the Cayenne are of outstanding quality - meaning that they are durable and can be easily cleaned periodically to bring them back to like new condition.
2) Do you really need the windshield and window tinting? I would pass on that - especially given the climate that you're located in. If you were in Phoenix or Dallas - maybe a different story.
3) I would invest in the PPF for the front end. Good money spent in my opinion.
4) Regarding a Ceramic coating - the products on the market today are virtually foolproof. I have done four cars and am currently doing my 2019 Cayenne. (For that car, the process is more involved as there is paint correction that I'm doing.) The ceramic product that I'm using is Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light. It's considered by pro detailers as the best ceramic product available to consumers on the market. Cost for that on Amazon - $109. (Virtually all of the ceramic coating products are formulated in just a few labs in South Korea. There is absolutely no reason to pay thousands of $$'s for application of these types of products provided the paint on your vehicle is in excellent condition.)

My 2019 Cayenne - paint correction and ceramic coating currently underway -

Full paint correction. Headlight lenses polished.

Ceramic coated - GTechniq Crystal Serum Light.

Old 01-08-2024, 06:32 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 173 Posts

I’m a PPF believer. Been having it installed on all vehicles since 2007. The products today are much better than 15 years ago. There is just too much road debris, look at your windshield even after a year. It’s likely pitted due to road rash. Besides the front clip I had the rockers, wheel extensions and behind the rear tires covered. The ceramic coating is a personal choice. If you’re a DIY detailer you can probably do it yourself. There are also very good sealants other than ceramic but they’ll need annual attention. I usually detail my own vehicles but with the Cayenne I opted for the commercial ceramic and glad I did. After 18 months it’s holding up well. Quick run through a touchless wash while traveling usually cleans it up. You still should get an annual clean and inspection which I recently had done. The vehicle looks great. Tinting the front side windows is something I always have done. This vehicle has the upgraded thermal and noise reduction glass. Really does lower the interior temp especially the windshield, I wouldn’t have anything done with the interior. I take care of the leather myself. I don’t even like someone cleaning the interior glass as they get spray all over.

Last edited by rdboxster; 01-08-2024 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:35 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 123 Posts

Prices vary by region and by installer…some small shops may offer good prices and quality workmanship. Cut rate jobs are available but you might not be happy with the results. No matter what the price, consider online reviews if you don’t have a previous relationship. My experience with Dealer installers has been below average.

You might consider adding the kit that does the wheel arch moulding/includes partial door. I paid $2000 to do-1. full front; 2. rocker panels and about a foot of the lower doors; 3. protective strip below the cargo door.
The tires stick out far enough to sand blast the rear wheel arch. Brake grime and rocks are hard on the lower body.

If you plan to hand wash the car then ceramic is worth doing but as mentioned there are options. If not a DIY guy and going to use an automated car wash maybe not.

Old 01-08-2024, 07:00 PM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I skipped it all. How much can It cost to paint the hood it if gets sand blasted? It can't be $5K! I've owned cars for almost 50 years and have never bought any of these protection packages. I have an 11 and 14 year old and when they were younger, I hung a seat back protector in my 2013 BMW 535 and when I dropped it off off at the dealer at the end of the 39 month lease, the car was accepted back without any comment. The question I ask myself with these protection packages is whether I'll earn it back on resale or lease return? if not, I don't bother. Now, if it was a 911 that I'd be hanging onto for 10 years and wanted to keep it pristine, I might consider it. Is that how you think about your Cayenne?
The probelm with painting is you need a very very very good painter otherwise it won't match. I can always tell when a car has been repainted. 911 or Cayenne. It should be kept the best it can.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 455 Posts

Tint is way too expensive.... I've never paid anything close to 1k and I've had tinted cars all my life. The coating you can do yourself...
Old 01-08-2024, 08:41 PM
jo2134
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I just got a full body Suntek PPF + 3 year ceramic coating on exterior and leather seating/armrests and steering wheel rim. Your car stays protected, cleaner and maintains that showroom gloss especially after right getting a wash.

Paid $6k for all after negotiating down (most shops wanted $6k for just the PPF)

If you can swing it it is well worth it.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:43 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 412 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Just some thoughts on this:

1) I would skip the interior treatment altogether. The interior materials in the Cayenne are of outstanding quality - meaning that they are durable and can be easily cleaned periodically to bring them back to like new condition.
2) Do you really need the windshield and window tinting? I would pass on that - especially given the climate that you're located in. If you were in Phoenix or Dallas - maybe a different story.
3) I would invest in the PPF for the front end. Good money spent in my opinion.
4) Regarding a Ceramic coating - the products on the market today are virtually foolproof. I have done four cars and am currently doing my 2019 Cayenne. (For that car, the process is more involved as there is paint correction that I'm doing.) The ceramic product that I'm using is Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light. It's considered by pro detailers as the best ceramic product available to consumers on the market. Cost for that on Amazon - $109. (Virtually all of the ceramic coating products are formulated in just a few labs in South Korea. There is absolutely no reason to pay thousands of $$'s for application of these types of products provided the paint on your vehicle is in excellent condition.)

My 2019 Cayenne - paint correction and ceramic coating currently underway -

Full paint correction. Headlight lenses polished.

Ceramic coated - GTechniq Crystal Serum Light.
Agree with your assessment whole heartedly. A good PPF is maybe $1200-1800 for front end and mirrors usually. Probably all you need on the Cayenne. tint no way $1k...unless its made of gold like those used in F16 fighter jets! As for ceramic tint...most of the ones on the market are easy to apply esp to a new car which require less paint correction and have less opportunity for road debris and contamination into the paint. I did both my 992 and my Taycan CT as well as my prior Audi RS5 myself. Used Crystal Serum Light which you can get on amazon.com and another coat over it to protect (forgot what it was) and took me two day and some beers to let it cure and ensure I got it right but much easier than paying some of these shops outlandish prices. $2k for a ceramic coating? Guys the bottle is about $150 and can do like 2 cars with one bottle easily so when you take that into account to some of the prices these guys are charging you can see how much is profit....outside of lighting (I have a set of shop lights and well lit garage) and microfiber towels supplies will cost you maybe $250. Even expertise should not be $1000-2000+ for what is a maybe 4 hr job by a professional for a normal car! Just saying.....
Originally Posted by Shuga
Tint is way too expensive.... I've never paid anything close to 1k and I've had tinted cars all my life. The coating you can do yourself...
Yes that is bananas....even in Hawaii (which is very expensive to live) I only paid $400 max for mid level ceramic tint on my 992. An SUV is maybe $50-100 more depending on quality of tint. $1000 is just madness and exploitation!
Old 01-09-2024, 10:24 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm on Saint Louis, MO. Full window tint with Ceramic Pro Kavaca was $900. The panoroof would have been another $400, but they advised against it. Front quarter PPF qas quoted at $1550. Xpel shop quoted $5000 for full body wrap. Stek mat PPF was quoted at $8800 for full wrap. IIRC, my 2016 was $1100 for all glass filmed with 3M Ceramic film and $1500 for fron quarter (including A-Pillars). I ended up skipping the PPF on my 2019 since I had the dealer I bought the Cayenne from put a cermaic coat on it befire I drove to Ann Arbor to pick it up. That was $1200 and they did poor job on paint prep before coating it. Just some numders to chew on.

Quick Reply: PPF and Ceramic Cost Check