Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2022 Cayenne Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 09:30 AM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the alt have to be replaced to charge a 2007 GT3 AntiGravity ?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2022, 11:22 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S993
Does the alt have to be replaced to charge a 2007 GT3 AntiGravity ?

Thanks
Hi C4S993, for your application you shouldn't have to change/replace anything in order to use our battery. Should be a direct drop in swap.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:22 AM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I can confirm that I received the same AGM battery in my 2022 (Feb. build).

I assume that means that I can use my CTEK MXS 5.0 (https://smartercharger.com/collectio...s/ctek-mxs-5-0) tender through any of the 12V plugs or direct to the terminals (either under the hood or in the passenger footwell). Correct?

Manual still covers the Lithium version, so this was clearly a game time decision.
The following users liked this post:
kash1786 (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 08:15 AM
kash1786
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Ok I think I made a big error in understanding what you were saying. But I think I get what you are saying now. I believe you are saying IF you have a Lithium Battery version Cayenne currently, then how would you attach the Plug-In from your Lithium Battery so you can go to an AGM or aftermarket Lithium battery.... But I was thinking you had the AGM Style of IBS Connector that Campy was showing which was already set up for an AGM use.

So in Campy's type of set up yes you could just swap the battery to Lithium since it is set up for AGM already. I think you already understood that.

But unfortunately I don't know if that Linbus Connector from the Porsche Lithium Battery is the same plug-in as the one on the newer AGM equipped Cayenne Campy just got. So being blunt I don't know if they read the data the same... meaning how the Lithium Battery puts out its data pointsvia its Linbus protocol, vs how the AGM systems IBS protocol is set up to transmit the data. So unfortunately I have no answer at all. It would be great if you could simply buy the cable set up for the AGM Battery from Porsche in the future and swap that out... we've seen that done on some BMWs by a company we work with called European Auto Source in California. but I can't say that would work on a Porsche, but I will ask them what they did and see if its relevant. I doubt Porsche would make and overly complex system to swap from the Lithium to the AGM. I assume the factory must have a simple solution like a wire harness. But honestly I don't want to say that yet since I don't. I'll try to keep looking into this.

But for those of you interested maybe you can post some more pics of your Lithium Battery set up in the Cayenne with the Negative and Positive Posts shown, like below, but open up the Positive cover so we can see if it exactly the same in regards to the Lead vs Lithium connections and we can see what is different. and start to analyze if the wiring goes to a similar connection point that can swapped or disconnected close by.
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be testing this out. I've ordered a negative cable that has a LIN attached from a BMW 1 series (P/N 7631109) (hopefully the LIN is wired to the -ve terminal in the LiFePO4 battery). When it's here, I'll try dropping in a H7 to see if it communicates.
The following 3 users liked this post by kash1786:
Antigravity (06-22-2022), chassis (12-11-2022), Schnave (06-22-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 11:52 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,360 Posts

You guys make my head hurt on batteries! Who knew this was so complicated?? Someday and old analog pickup truck from the 70's looks really good <g>
The following 3 users liked this post by drcollie:
ArcticFox (07-13-2022), kash1786 (06-23-2022), LDT (02-22-2023)
Old 07-13-2022, 12:01 PM
IXIXI
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 55 Posts

Is there a good battery tender for the Porsche lithium ion battery? I think CTEK makes a blue one but this is for LiFe batteries and not the Li Ion one?
Old 07-13-2022, 12:27 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,381 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by IXIXI
Is there a good battery tender for the Porsche lithium ion battery? I think CTEK makes a blue one but this is for LiFe batteries and not the Li Ion one?
I’m a little confused by your question. Which Porsche lithium ion battery are referring to?

Technically, the Cayenne’s LiFePO4 12 volt starter battery is a lithium ion battery. The CTEK Lithium charger is designed to charge this type battery. Many on this forum, including me, use this charger.
https://smartercharger.com/products/ctek-lithium-us

If you are referring to the compact lithium ion starter battery first available on the 2010 997.1 GT3 and Boxter Spyder, those also use LiFePO4 chemistry.
The current 992s also have optionally available LiFePO4 “lithium ion” starter batteries.

If you are referring to the e-Hybrid’s high voltage lithium ion battery, use the high voltage charger that came with the vehicle.

Last edited by Schnave; 07-13-2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:28 PM
abokor
Rennlist Member

There is a lot of battery knowledge here, so since I'm having some issues, I'd thought I'd get some thoughts from the Yoda's in the group.

The error I periodically get is " Engine run required for electricity" in the instrument cluster. Also switching between Individual mode and Sport mode via the steering wheel **** causes a temporary pause of the engine (almost like stop start). These seem to go hand in hand and are totally random.

I assumed the issue was an undercharged battery. So I hooked the car up to my CTEK for 3 days. (When hooking up the CTEK (or Porsche version), you connect the clamps to the terminals under the hood - right? You don't need to go straight to the battery.)

When taking a reading using a Topdon battery tester at the terminals under the hood, engine off, I am getting readings that indicate to replace the battery. Service at dealer says readings must be done at the battery and the battery is good and fully charged and healthy (I have a Varta 950 CCA AGM).

Finally - inside the car when turning the ignition on (but not starting the car), my battery voltage reader on the instrument cluster says 12.1-12.3. When I start the car, it stays within the range of 12.1 - 13.5. It only goes above 13 when braking. I'm used to seeing it constantly in the 14+ range on my 991.

Car is with dealer now and they are stumped on the error since it is not throwing any codes. 800 miles on the car.

Last edited by abokor; 07-13-2022 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:41 PM
IXIXI
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 55 Posts

Shnave, thanks for replying. I have a ‘22 TGT with the lithium. I cannot find any literature that says it’s a LiFe vs li Ion anywhere. The CTEK blue says only for the LiFe battery so I’m just trying not to screw anything up.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2022, 01:15 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Shnave, thanks for replying. I have a ‘22 TGT with the lithium. I cannot find any literature that says it’s a LiFe vs li Ion anywhere. The CTEK blue says only for the LiFe battery so I’m just trying not to screw anything up.

Thanks!
No worries. On my Cayenne, the remote battery jump post is labeled Li-Ion. It has a LiFePO4 battery and the CTEK Lithium keeps it charged just fine.

If you want to be sure, you can look at the battery, located under the front passenger floor. It’s easy to access:

Voila!

The following users liked this post:
IXIXI (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 02:59 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 168 Posts

This is what I’ve been using for over a year and no problem with it.
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-13-2022, 07:28 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

QUOTE=abokor;
The error I periodically get is " Engine run required for electricity" in the instrument cluster.

Pretty small subset of 9YO Cayennes with AGM batteries. It looks like you’re going to be blazing the AGM battery trail for us!

Also switching between Individual mode and Sport mode via the steering wheel **** causes a temporary pause of the engine (almost like stop start). These seem to go hand in hand and are totally random.

This is normal, assuming you have *** switched off in Individual mode. When you rotate the mode switch, you momentarily click through Normal mode. If you are stopped, the *** will activate momentary. This seems to be random because *** is disabled until the engine is warmed up, when the A/C is set to max, battery charge is low, and a whole list of other things.

I assumed the issue was an undercharged battery. So I hooked the car up to my CTEK for 3 days. (When hooking up the CTEK (or Porsche version), you connect the clamps to the terminals under the hood - right? You don't need to go straight to the battery.)

No need to connect directly to the battery. You can use the remote jumper posts under the hood or you can buy a CTEK adapter and connect through the 12V receptacles. The Porsche version comes standard with a 12V receptacle connector.

Finally - inside the car when turning the ignition on (but not starting the car), my battery voltage reader on the instrument cluster says 12.1-12.3. When I start the car, it stays within the range of 12.1 - 13.5. It only goes above 13 when braking. I'm used to seeing it constantly in the 14+ range on my 991.

Your 991 presumably had a normal, fixed-output voltage regulator — just like we’re all familiar with. Our Cayennes have a Smart Alternator, aka Variable Voltage Alternator. It’s designed to save fuel by charging primarily during engine overruns and low power demands. Added bonus: It stops charging during high power demands to limit parasitic drag and give better acceleration. The AGM voltages should be slightly different from what we see on our LFP batteries. Again — you’re blazing the trail!

Last edited by Schnave; 07-13-2022 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:58 PM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnave
QUOTE=abokor;
The error I periodically get is " Engine run required for electricity" in the instrument cluster.

Pretty small subset of 9YO Cayennes with AGM batteries. It looks like you’re going to be blazing the AGM battery trail for us!

Also switching between Individual mode and Sport mode via the steering wheel **** causes a temporary pause of the engine (almost like stop start). These seem to go hand in hand and are totally random.

This is normal, assuming you have *** switched off in Individual mode. When you rotate the mode switch, you momentarily click through Normal mode. If you are stopped, the *** will activate momentary. This seems to be random because *** is disabled until the engine is warmed up, when the A/C is set to max, battery charge is low, and a whole list of other things.

No need to connect directly to the battery. You can use the remote jumper posts under the hood or you can buy a CTEK adapter and connect through the 12V receptacles. The Porsche version comes standard with a 12V receptacle connector.

Your 991 presumably had a normal, fixed-output voltage regulator — just like we’re all familiar with. Our Cayennes have a Smart Alternator, aka Variable Voltage Alternator. It’s designed to save fuel by charging primarily during engine overruns and low power demands. Added bonus: It stops charging during high power demands to limit parasitic drag and give better acceleration. The AGM voltages should be slightly different from what we see on our LFP batteries. Again — you’re blazing the trail!
Thank you for the response and validating the normal behavior. I do have Auto Stop Start off in Individual and didn’t think about having to make my way through Normal to get to Sport. It is helpful to also understand that the voltage variance is normal.

Also thanks for confirming the CTEK connection.

It is lonely in the AGM world. Luckily the service tech on my car is aware of the select few that don’t have Lithium and seemed unphased.

They have opened a ticket with Germany for the instrument cluster error. They have no idea what to do at this point. Hopefully I’ll know more tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:36 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abokor
It is lonely in the AGM world.
Silver lining: Some years from now, yours and the few others will be known as the ultra-rare AGM Cayenne.😎 Maybe not as collectible as the Cayenne GTS with 6-speed manual, but rare, nonetheless!

Last edited by Schnave; 07-13-2022 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:54 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Anyone use this one? Claims it does everything.

NOCO GENIUS5, 5A Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V and 12V Portable Automotive Car Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger and Battery Desulfator with Temperature Compensation:

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by philg3; 07-14-2022 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: 2022 Cayenne Battery