Sponsored By:

Carbon roof is separating on my 2020 Cayenne Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 04:34 PM
Sam Bafawi
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon roof is separating on my 2020 Cayenne Coupe

I got a 2020 cayenne coupe turbo with a lightweight package. I found out in Feb that the carbon roof is separating. Porsche offered to replace the roof. I have been arguing with porsche australia the fact that the roof is bonded at the factory and an authorised Porsche repairer cannot replace the roof in the same manner it’ is done at the factory.
porsche claims that it’ is an easy process.
The other worrying issue is they cannot get the part from Germany and they cannot give me an firm dates on when they get it.
I am asking for a replacement car!!!
what do you guys and girls think?
Has anyone had this issue before?
Old 05-11-2022, 04:39 PM
Sam Bafawi
4th Gear

Old 05-11-2022, 06:22 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 353 Likes on 209 Posts

I'd give them the chance to fix it- if it's not to your satisfaction then insist on a replacement.

Beautiful car BTW.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:43 PM
Ezk1eL
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Bafawi
I got a 2020 cayenne coupe turbo with a lightweight package. I found out in Feb that the carbon roof is separating. Porsche offered to replace the roof. I have been arguing with porsche australia the fact that the roof is bonded at the factory and an authorised Porsche repairer cannot replace the roof in the same manner it’ is done at the factory.
porsche claims that it’ is an easy process.
The other worrying issue is they cannot get the part from Germany and they cannot give me an firm dates on when they get it.
I am asking for a replacement car!!!
what do you guys and girls think?
Has anyone had this issue before?
Where is it separating? I can't see it on the picture.

It's clearly unacceptable but from the picture you provided I am assuming it might be caused by the roof rack system?

Give Porsche a chance to repair the roof, if it's not perfect then you might ask for a replacement car but keep in mind that the replacement car might take 6-12 months to come and it might also have the same defect.

I have optioned a carbon roof on my Cayenne GTS Coupe, it is scheduled to arrive at my dealer in 2-4 weeks, I'll see if mine has the same issue...

Good luck

Old 05-11-2022, 09:10 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,230 Likes on 908 Posts

Nice color on the coupe.

Good luck with the car replacement.

Go with the field/service repair.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:31 PM
othertbone
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 209 Posts

Agreed, you must give them a chance, as with any other repair. It may just come out perfect and you worried for nothing
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 07:45 PM
Fattony001
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Post a picture of the problem. We wanna see.
i would let them repair it.
if it doesn’t hold then talk about getting a replacement truck. But good luck. Not sure
thats gonna happen.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:45 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 123 Posts

Not a fan of orange cars normally but yours is beautiful…👍
Old 06-20-2023, 12:24 AM
rmick
3rd Gear

Beautiful car. What did you end up doing? I'm having the same issue with my '20 Cayenne Coupe Turbo with Lightweight Package. The clear coat is separating from the carbon fiber roof in 4 places (front corner, back corner, and both sides). It's always been garaged, under 20k miles, ceramic coated, and under factory warranty. The dealer had me go to their approved collision center who said they just did the same repair on another Cayenne Coupe Turbo GT carbon fiber roof and it takes at least 3 weeks to do the repair, often causes the windshield and other parts to break and require replacement. They have to remove the entire interior and headliner to remove the roof from the frame. My fear is that I do this repair and then have dozens of other issues when they put it back together, but I'm also not willing to accept a roof that's de-laminating.
Old 09-14-2023, 04:17 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rmick
Beautiful car. What did you end up doing? I'm having the same issue with my '20 Cayenne Coupe Turbo with Lightweight Package. The clear coat is separating from the carbon fiber roof in 4 places (front corner, back corner, and both sides). It's always been garaged, under 20k miles, ceramic coated, and under factory warranty. The dealer had me go to their approved collision center who said they just did the same repair on another Cayenne Coupe Turbo GT carbon fiber roof and it takes at least 3 weeks to do the repair, often causes the windshield and other parts to break and require replacement. They have to remove the entire interior and headliner to remove the roof from the frame. My fear is that I do this repair and then have dozens of other issues when they put it back together, but I'm also not willing to accept a roof that's de-laminating.
@rmick what did you end up doing for this? I just acquired a 2020 CTT Coupe with LW pckg and it has the same issues. Wondering what to do.
Old 09-14-2023, 04:25 PM
rmick
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by AO
@rmick what did you end up doing for this? I just acquired a 2020 CTT Coupe with LW pckg and it has the same issues. Wondering what to do.
Hey AO, I ended up taking it in to the dealership and they're going to redo the clear coat. Probably excessive, since it requires removing the carbon fiber roof, which often breaks the windshield, etc., and takes a month. But since it's their cost, not mine, and the body shop almost exclusively works on Porsches (they said they do a bunch of these, sadly, on GT3s, Turbo S's, etc.) I figured I might as well. Is yours still under warranty? If so, letting Porsche repair it is probably the best move, if you don't mind driving their loaner for 2-4 weeks. Sucks that the factory is clearly not doing a great job on the clear coats for these carbon roofs, or at least didn't in 2020.

Quick Reply: Carbon roof is separating on my 2020 Cayenne Coupe