Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Front Plate w/ ACC...where do you put it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 10:01 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,552 Likes on 1,588 Posts
Default Front Plate w/ ACC...where do you put it?

For anyone who has the ACC "eye" on the front of their car, would you mind posting up your front plate mounting location? Interested in what the options are. And if you have the sport design front fascia I'm particularly interested, but either was is cool.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2022, 01:51 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Here’s a few pics of my 2019 with Sport Design Package. I use a Sto-N-Sho mount since I only mount it when driving on the military base. No visible drill holes. When the plate isn’t mounted the quick-release base mount is hidden under the bumper.

Takes just a few seconds to mount or unmount the plate. Especially handy when you forget to mount it and the MP won’t let you on base! 😀

https://stonsho.com/front-license-pl...ntrol-sns188a/

I had the mount modified to lower the plate out of the way of the ACC radar. The mount is anodized aluminum so make sure the welder knows how to work with it. I think I paid about $70 for the modification.

Here’s the modified mount:

Here’s the quick-release mounting plate. Recommend a helper when drilling the holes. I did mine solo and the mount isn’t quite straight. Not my finest work 😫. I strengthened the mount with the addition of 3M 5052 VHB double-sided tape. Strong stuff — get it right the first time or you bear the shame of a crooked mount.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Schnave; 10-11-2022 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 02:55 PM
Woofman
Pro

Received 479 Likes on 292 Posts

The OEM front license plate bracket/backer looks nice to me. The configurator shows different brackets/backers for a European number plate for the sport design and standard bumper covers which leads me to believe that there are corresponding different ones for a North American license plate.

I have no idea how these things mount, i.e. through the front of the bumper cover or from underneath. This thread reminded me that my 2022 Cayenne is the first vehicle I've bought in a very long time that didn't come with a front license plate bracket stowed in the trunk. Not that I'll be moving to a state that requires front license plates but people who have bought cars from me and who live in an adjacent state that requires a front plate have appreciated that I've provided them with a front license plate bracket.

Should my 2022 Cayenne have come with a front plate bracket or does one cost extra like everything else Porsche?

Here is a photo grabbed from the Internet showing a front license plate on a standard Cayenne bumper.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:14 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woofman
I have no idea how these things mount,
The OEM mount requires you drill holes through the bumper. 😩 [[[Chills down spine]]]

When I was shopping for our Cayennes, holes in the front bumper was cause for an immediate rejection.

Yes, I see the hypocrisy that my avatar shows my 993 with a front plate. I installed that back in 1999 before I knew about alternate mounts.

Here’s a couple pics of a Cars & Coffee in Virginia, a State that requires front plates. Very few Porsches actually have them. 😀

Last edited by Schnave; 10-11-2022 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnave
Here’s a few pics of my 2019 with Sport Design Package. I use a Sto-N-Sho mount since I only mount it when driving on the military base. No visible drill holes. When the plate isn’t mounted the quick-release base mount is hidden under the bumper.

Takes just a few seconds to mount or unmount the plate. Especially handy when you forget to mount it and the MP won’t let you on base! 😀
Thanks. Our plate will be on permanently so want something that's not easy to swipe, and a little less protruding than that.

The OEM front license plate bracket/backer looks nice to me. The configurator shows different brackets/backers for a European number plate for the sport design and standard bumper covers which leads me to believe that there are corresponding different ones for a North American license plate.
Yeah, that doesn't look too bad although...

The OEM mount requires you drill holes through the bumper. 😩 [[[Chills down spine]]]
Tesla has a similar plate adapter, but it is installed with the aforementioned 3M Trim tape. That's how we've had our plate mounted to our current 958 Cayenne and in 9 years and close to 115k miles, it has never so much as come loose. I'll have to see once I get the car what the best solution is.

Here in Houston, I run my 911 and my Model 3 with no front plates, but the Cayenne does the bulk of the intra-state trips, and therefore we run through municipalities where they might not be so forgiving. Most of the Porsche guys here run no front plate as do most of the Tesla enthusiasts, however some of them do get busted. Since this is going to be the wife's car and I don't want her to have to talk her way out of a ticket, the Cayenne will run a front plate. I have Black TX plates to install on the dark blue car, so it won't be TOO bad.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:15 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 362 Posts

Suggest you look into Tow Hook mounts. I had one on my 2008 Cayenne and it worked fine. I don't recall the manufacturer and no longer live in a front plate state. As a matter of fact, when I did live in a front plate state I never mounted the front plate and was pulled over only once. You guessed it, the 2008 Cayenne S.
pelicanparts.com has one.

Last edited by LDT; 10-11-2022 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:28 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Thanks. Our plate will be on permanently so want something that's not easy to swipe . . . Since this is going to be the wife's car and I don't want her to have to talk her way out of a ticket, the Cayenne will run a front plate.
That makes sense. In that case, you might have the dealer install the OEM front plate bracket prior to delivery. They will have to consider the mounting location’s effect on the ACC radar and probably have experience with that situation. Besides, if the mount causes issues with the ACC, it’s their responsibility to make it work.

Old 10-11-2022, 04:38 PM
Woofman
Pro

When I was shopping for our Cayennes, holes in the front bumper was cause for an immediate rejection.
It's a bumper cover - not the Mona Lisa. Are you one of those guys who worships at the Porsche alter?

It's easy to hide holes formerly used for mounting license plates with plastic body color plugs made for the purpose.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:39 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

My Cayenne was delivered with the mount for the front bumper. Here's the underside that shows the part number. And I would never, ever, allow my bumper to be drilled.

Last edited by dasams; 10-11-2022 at 04:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dasams:
Needsdecaf (10-11-2022), Tedster (01-02-2024)
Old 10-11-2022, 04:47 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
For anyone who has the ACC "eye" on the front of their car, would you mind posting up your front plate mounting location? Interested in what the options are. And if you have the sport design front fascia I'm particularly interested, but either was is cool.

Thanks!
If you ultimately decide to go OEM and need the front plate bracket….I have one, never used. I’ll send it to you gratis.
Needsdecaf (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 05:01 PM
Woofman
Pro

That makes sense. In that case, you might have the dealer install the OEM front plate bracket prior to delivery. They will have to consider the mounting location’s effect on the ACC radar and probably have experience with that situation. Besides, if the mount causes issues with the ACC, it’s their responsibility to make it work.
Looking at the photo I posted, it appears that the contour of the OEM front license plate bracket conforms to the curvature of the bumper and can be mounted only one way. The front license plate won't come close to interfering with the radar unit if it's mounted per the photo.
Schnave (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 05:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LDT
Suggest you look into Tow Hook mounts. I had one on my 2008 Cayenne and it worked fine. I don't recall the manufacturer and no longer live in a front plate state. As a matter of fact, when I did live in a front plate state I never mounted the front plate and was pulled over only once. You guessed it, the 2008 Cayenne S.
pelicanparts.com has one.
Thanks. I really dislike tow hook mounts, as I'm all about the symmetry! Otherwise I'd do one of the grille mounted options off-center next to the radar sensor.

Heh, no way. Never drill the bumper!

It's a bumper cover - not the Mona Lisa. Are you one of those guys who worships at the Porsche alter?

It's easy to hide holes formerly used for mounting license plates with plastic body color plugs made for the purpose.
Bumper plugs are, IMO, even uglier than the front plate mount. Worse comes to worse I'd stick it on with double sided tape directly to the bumper as I have done with our current Cayenne.

Originally Posted by dasams
My Cayenne was delivered with the mount for the front bumper. Here's the underside that shows the part number. And I would never, ever, allow my bumper to be drilled.

Given the right thickness of tape, that could easily be mounted with 3M double sided trim tape. Thanks for the close up!
Old 10-11-2022, 07:33 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 173 Posts

I used the Skene mount on the 2016 and it worked great. Unfortunately Skene has quit selling the brackets. In the 5+ years I owned the 2016 I never pulled the license plate so I just went with the factory mount on the new GTS. The plate, skene mount, on the Boxster comes off at shows, out of state drives and recently at the track.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:55 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,908 Likes on 1,370 Posts

I have not run a front plate (in Virginia) on any of my three Porsches for 15 years now. The cops don't really care - if they do its an $ 85 equipment violation ticket.

Old 10-13-2022, 11:46 AM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 454 Posts

It is the Mona Lisa... Body colored plugs? Ew, would you want a super model with bullet holes in her with a bad skin graph to cover it?

Quick Reply: Front Plate w/ ACC...where do you put it?