Sponsored By:

Is this sound normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 02:05 PM
Bahnbrenner
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Is this sound normal?

Brand new 2023 Cayenne with the 3.0L V6. The sound is only audible when the car is stationary. It can be heard in both park and when in gear, but it is significantly louder when in gear. Putting the car in neutral seems to eliminate the noise.

I sent my SA this video, and he in turn sent it to one of their techs. They want to see the car in person, but they're 100 miles away and I have a busy schedule - Hence my attempt to glean some intel here first.

Its a fast, low frequency, mechanical chattering noise. You can definitely hear it if you turn the volume up all the way.
Old 10-24-2022, 02:37 PM
bearcat2000
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 76 Posts

Sorry, link didn't work at first. Works now.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:00 PM
Bahnbrenner
Advanced

Here it is again, but on youtube this time. Just in case.

Old 10-24-2022, 04:29 PM
moulari
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Had that same problem on our 19 S - would only happen with less than half a tank so it was easy to re-produce - they ended up replacing the entire tank - sound never came back,
Old 10-24-2022, 11:23 PM
Woofman
Pro

Received 468 Likes on 285 Posts

I don't have that chattering noise in my 2022 Cayenne with the 3.0L V6 which is now at 3,800 miles.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:41 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,381 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Check out this Advanced Technical Information titled, “Audible Cayenne Fuel Tank Rattle”. It describes many of the same symptoms. Excerpt below:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...74614-0001.pdf

Condition

An audible rattle or ticking noise emanating from the vehicle’s lower right rear in the 10Hz frequency range. This noise is particularly noticeable under idle engine conditions when the vehicle is stationary or travelling at low speeds. The noise occurs when the tank vent valve is operating. In the most prominent cases, the issue is especially apparent when:
• The level in the fuel tank is between one-half to completely full.
• Drive is selected with a gear engaged and the brake applied with low load at idle engine speed.
• The air-conditioning is running low.
• The tank vent valve operates at a duty-cycle of 30% or greater.

Technical Background

Operation of the tank vent valve to vacate the active charcoal filter causes pressure reverberations, exciting the flap of the anti-spitback valve, which can cause this noise.

Service Information

The digital noise file attached herein is an example of the noise, and assists in diagnosis through comparison. A fix requiring replacement of the fuel tank is scheduled for release in 2020. If the complaint aligns with this TI, then no further repair is presently available. As soon as the anticipated repair becomes available, this bulletin will change to reflect the suggested repair.
The following 4 users liked this post by Schnave:
Electric Lizard (05-17-2023), Ironman88 (01-15-2024), mgx1020 (11-13-2022), Needsdecaf (11-07-2023)
Old 10-26-2022, 07:56 PM
Bahnbrenner
Advanced

Wow, this describes the problem to a tee. Thank you!
Old 10-30-2022, 01:44 PM
EvilPhilosopher
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bahnbrenner
Brand new 2023 Cayenne with the 3.0L V6. The sound is only audible when the car is stationary. It can be heard in both park and when in gear, but it is significantly louder when in gear. Putting the car in neutral seems to eliminate the noise.

I sent my SA this video, and he in turn sent it to one of their techs. They want to see the car in person, but they're 100 miles away and I have a busy schedule - Hence my attempt to glean some intel here first.

Its a fast, low frequency, mechanical chattering noise. You can definitely hear it if you turn the volume up all the way.
Did Porsche replace the fuel tank? Or was it something else?
Old 11-11-2022, 02:38 PM
Bahnbrenner
Advanced

Yep, they ended up replacing the fuel tank. TBD on whether or not this addresses the issue, as the repair is actually in process as I write this.

The service loaner the dealership gave me is (also) a MY23 Cayenne and it actually has the same problem. I'd be curious to know just how widespread this issue is. Anyone else with a new Cayenne having this problem?
Old 11-11-2022, 03:04 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,381 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Yep, they ended up replacing the fuel tank. TBD on whether or not this addresses the issue, as the repair is actually in process as I write this.
Thanks for the follow-up! Hope the new fuel tank fixes it.
Old 05-17-2023, 02:24 PM
moby710
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the exactly the same noise on my MY22 Cayenne. Booked a appointment for next week, and hopefully they can fix it.

The service loaner the dealership gave me is (also) a MY23 Cayenne and it actually has the same problem. I'd be curious to know just how widespread this issue is. Anyone else with a new Cayenne having this problem?

Last edited by moby710; 05-17-2023 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2023, 12:53 PM
Preludatorx007
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 2020 CPO Cayenne. i couldn't help it but notice this rattle noise as well. It droves me nuts until i did some research on here. I have an appt setup with a local Porsche dealership.
I am looking forward to hear what they have to say. I definitely do not accept this kind of noise for a vehicle of this level. I also have an alignment issue pulling right. I will also ask them to look into it.
Old 11-06-2023, 11:14 PM
Preludatorx007
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Preludatorx007
I just purchased a 2020 CPO Cayenne. i couldn't help it but notice this rattle noise as well. It droves me nuts until i did some research on here. I have an appt setup with a local Porsche dealership.
I am looking forward to hear what they have to say. I definitely do not accept this kind of noise for a vehicle of this level. I also have an alignment issue pulling right. I will also ask them to look into it.
My Dealership is replacing the fuel tank for the vibration noise on load. the service Advisors did say there is a TSB out there for this so...here we go... got a Macan loaner. will be awhile before I get the car back. Shall see how that turns out.
Old 01-15-2024, 09:41 AM
Eman_9582
AutoX

I have this same noise and took my car in last week, tech found some unsecured panels underneath and they charged me $250 for diagnostic fee. I got the car back and as soon as I started it the noise was there, which the SA also agreed and they kept the car for further investigation. I'll be sending them this info but I'm curious if this would be covered by PCNA - seems like it should but my car is out of warranty so I'm afraid they'd try to charge me for the repair
Old 02-16-2024, 11:46 AM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My 2019 S was having a slight clunk that I only noticed when turning at low speed and simultaneously hitting a small bump or driveway entry. Local P dealer diagnosed as fuel vent valve and want over $11k to replace the whole tank! I do not know if that is the issue as it isn't a rattle sound and it is not constant. Only hear it in very certain circumstances. They are trying to fix under goodwill and/or my Fidelity Platinum warranty, but damn, 11k sounds ludicrous to me. Hopefully they get it covered and it is really the fix needed.

Quick Reply: Is this sound normal?