Sponsored By:

2019 Porsche Cayenne eHybrid Fault Code P0BBD

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 08:24 PM
AlHB
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Porsche Cayenne eHybrid Fault Code P0BBD

Since December 2022 are 2019 Porsche Cayenne eHybrid has been throwing intermittent "check engine" lights. I have been trying to get service, with a loaner, but have been unsuccessful getting it into the Porsche dealership in Newport Beach. I finally picked up an OBD II scan tool and found the following fault code and description:
POBBD " Hybrid battery pack voltage variation exceeded limit"

Apparently, this means that certain cells in the main battery power pack driving the motor have voltage not meeting, or exceeding, Porsche's design. My warranty runs out in November 2023, so I am hoping to get this taken care of as soon as possible.

Has anyone else the had this experience? If so, did Porsche deal with the problem satisfactorily?

Al
Old 05-14-2023, 09:09 PM
normp
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a similar problem about a few weeks ago, the CEL would come on for a day or two then go off for a while. The explanation was the same as your note. Part of the solution was to charge and discharge the battery over several days, they had the car for almost a week. I’ve not had a CEL since getting it back. Covered under warranty
Old 05-15-2023, 03:42 PM
AlHB
Cruisin'

Part of the solution was to charge and discharge the battery over several days, they had the car for almost a week. I’ve not had a CEL since getting it back.
Charging and discharging the battery is what we have been doing since we acquired the car in November 2019…

Old 01-05-2024, 05:07 PM
AlHB
Cruisin'

I finally was able to bring our 2019 Porsche Cayenne E-hybrid in with the error code showing on September 8, 2023. I was told by my service representative that they were trying to fix the problem by reprogramming the vehicle. Eventually, they admitted that drive batteries needed to be replaced, but the replacement batteries were not readily available. They returned the car to us on September 28, 2023, because it could be "one or two months" before they can obtain the replacement batteries.

Luckily, this error was found and identified during the warranty period, the purchase date was November 27, 2019.
I guess the good news is we will get new drive batteries after nearly 4 years of use. Of course, if this happens again after another four years, the drive battery warranty will have expired.

I heard from Porsche Newport Beach that Germany had finally authorized the replacement of the drive batteries. The service rep indicated that the parts were being assembled in Germany and would be shipped within 1 to 2 weeks to California. He also told me that Porsche is giving priority to warranty claims for replacement of drive batteries. He indicated that if your vehicle is out of warranty, or if the batteries are damaged by an accident, you could have to wait a long period of time for the battery replacement.

Last edited by AlHB; 01-05-2024 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:00 PM
normp
Rennlist Member

My Cayenne has been sitting in the shop since early November, with the same issue- starting to like the Macan loaner, I’ve had it so long that I can now remember to put it into park after turning it off before getting out. For what it’s worth I was told the battery is fine and it’s the electronics that are the problem. Something is supposed to be here within the next couple of weeks, guess I’ll just have to wait and see what shows up. I kinda hope it’s the entire package.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:27 PM
AlHB
Cruisin'

We had a 2023 Macan loaner as well, the door "stops" drove us crazy. The first stop was too narrow to exit the car, and the second stop was so wide you would hit the car next to you! So much for Porsche design "excellence." Our service rep said that they had many complaints about that issue.
Hopefully, we both get new drive batteries. Our service rep said the package was going to include the batteries.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:30 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Why are you guys saying the warranty expires at 4 years on the HV battery pack? The hybrid pack should have an 8 year warranty. IIRC if the battery looses 30% of capacity it's considered bad. I'm on my second Cayenne plug-in and have not had issues with the HV battery. Other issues, yes - sigh, Goes back to the shop later today.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:07 PM
tl2009
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intermittent CEL as well, it tends to happen after using public chargers but goes away after a little while. Dealer said it's normal *shrug*
Old 01-31-2024, 03:18 PM
normp
Rennlist Member

I heard from Porsche Newport Beach that Germany had finally authorized the replacement of the drive batteries. The service rep indicated that the parts were being assembled in Germany and would be shipped within 1 to 2 weeks to California. He also told me that Porsche is giving priority to warranty claims for replacement of drive batteries. He indicated that if your vehicle is out of warranty, or if the batteries are damaged by an accident, you could have to wait a long period of time for the battery replacement.[/QUOTE]

Heard from my guy at the dealer last night, Porsche Germany is now estimating they will have the battery packs available mid to late summer. They’re apparently having QC problems. ☹️
Old 01-31-2024, 03:25 PM
normp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by craig001
Why are you guys saying the warranty expires at 4 years on the HV battery pack? The hybrid pack should have an 8 year warranty. IIRC if the battery looses 30% of capacity it's considered bad. I'm on my second Cayenne plug-in and have not had issues with the HV battery. Other issues, yes - sigh, Goes back to the shop later today.
Battery has an 8 year warranty, any electronics associated with the battery pack falls back to the 4 year warranty. A lot of the issues we’re having involve the electronics, it seems that the approach Porsche is taking is to replace the entire package, don’t know that for sure, still waiting for parts.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:22 PM
AlHB
Cruisin'

Yes, there is an 8 year warranty on the drive batteries, but my point was that receiving new batteries after four years does not extend the warranty. Consequently, if I received the new batteries when I expected, I would have had only four more years of warranty coverage. Unfortunately, I still have not been informed that the batteries are arriving!

Quick Reply: 2019 Porsche Cayenne eHybrid Fault Code P0BBD