All Hybrid Builds have been Delayed until at least January

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 01:43 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by swoop1156
...and I suppose someone may tell me I am incorrect, which I am, actually. If you're driving aggressively, or pull out to pass, or you just want to have fun and do a quick highway pull, both the E-Charge and E-Hold will still use battery assist/boost if you're asking the vehicle for all the beans, though just for a second. The little battery bar under the tach, or on the digital display screen if you have it on there, will show that it's in 'assist' mode. The terms in this instance, boost/assist is the same thing. While driving, the car actually will use "assist", unless you press the boost button, and then "boost" is activated - but it's the same. Again, hotly discussed over here in this thread. Enjoy that masterpiece of discussion if you want.

I've always thought it's hilarious that we can't get a PDF copy, like it's some magical secret or something. I'd much rather flip some physical pages with some whiskey rather than have my face buried in a screen. I say pick up the car, and enjoy figuring it out on your own for 12 hours! We've had ours for about a month or perhaps a little more and I still figure things out and get it set up to my liking. It's my wife's daily driver so I only get to use it on weekends or when I steal it from her parking garage to give it a wash or something. She tries so hard to use e-power only and the first thing I do when I get in is whack that 'individual' button which sets the car in SPORT chassis, SPORT exhaust, pops the spoiler, and lowers the suspension.
👍🏼 If the wife complains about your driving style in her car, point out that regularly running the ICE hard is needed to boil off water that accumulates in the oil sump.
Old 03-07-2024, 02:19 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 176 Posts

Our Turbo Hybrid started production yesterday, I hope they improve the delivery dates.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:34 PM
GTS440
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

You'll still definitely have an ICE up in there. That's the 3.0L V6 up front lol.

I believe this is all semantics. The battery will charge itself and maintain ~10% for the "boost functionality" (which is hotly discussed in another thread) while driving on Hybrid Auto. There are three settings on driving what I call, "hybridly"; Hybrid Auto, E-Hold, and E-Charge. That said, the only real hybrid setting is Hybrid Auto, as E-Hold and E-Charge will use your ICE 100% of the time, either to hold the current charge in the battery (so in turn, you don't use it) or to charge the battery (again, not using it). Hybrid Auto will also charge the battery here and there when the ICE is engaged, which is quite often in our experience—cruising down hills, coasting to a stop, or maintaining lower speeds on a relatively flat road, again, while in Hybrid Auto, will disengage the ICE. If you have the "boost" button on the steering wheel with Sport Chrono, or, if you go full-throttle, the battery will assist even if "e-power not available" shows on the dash.

I'm becoming increasingly accustomed to disengaging the cruise control, which I use at any speed over 20mph, and coasting as much as I can. With Porsche's technology of disengaging the entire driveline while coasting (depending on circumstances), thus also turning off the ICE, this thing will coast forever. Remember that this is still very much a "driver's car" and the more the driver is engaged in the piloting of the vehicle, the more it benefits you.

Be sure to read the entirety of the owners manual. This is our first Porsche and some of the things that it does is way different than say, my Ford.
Correct, the battery always maintains some energy for boost. I was just commenting that once 'dead' you are in carrying a heavy 24kWh Battery not contributing to your efficiency.

Last edited by GTS440; 03-07-2024 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:35 PM
Kachakacha
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Update on my order..

went into production 3 days early on 2/26 and a finish date of 3/01… just got updated to finish 03/25…
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (03-08-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 06:44 PM
mc-pgts
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Kachakacha
Update on my order..

went into production 3 days early on 2/26 and a finish date of 3/01… just got updated to finish 03/25…
guess they swapped our builds :-)
Mine was supposed to start not the 26th and didn't actually start until the 29th. Still haven't got an update stating complete.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:48 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

That said, the only real hybrid setting is Hybrid Auto, as E-Hold and E-Charge will use your ICE 100% of the time, either to hold the current charge in the battery (so in turn, you don't use it) or to charge the battery (again, not using it).
I don't think this is correct. E-Hold will keep the same level of charge on the traction battery, basically, but will use a combination of ICE + electric (and sometimes only electric, like when coasting or going downhill or maybe braking).
Old 03-08-2024, 01:11 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 731 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
For sure - seems like the other owners / posters are having a different experience? Well I am getting the car anyways (when it eventually gets here) - so I will see for myself. I can't remember ever being disappointed in a Porsche product. So hopefully this is not the first time..
Me too...my car just went into production today! . Even got my VIN number also via MYPORSCHE and TYD....So here's to hoping I am pleasantly surprised when it arrives in June 2024!

It has started...production!
rodsky (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Me too...my car just went into production today! . Even got my VIN number also via MYPORSCHE and TYD....So here's to hoping I am pleasantly surprised when it arrives in June 2024!

It has started...production!
I got the same message today. We're apparently moving down the assembly line side by side.
mdrobc1213 (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 04:31 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCT
Our Turbo Hybrid started production yesterday, I hope they improve the delivery dates.
What's the currently projected delivery date? I have July 9th Euro delivery pick up and REALLY hoping it does not get delayed because I have to book everything else soon.
mdrobc1213 (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 05:08 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
What's the currently projected delivery date? I have July 9th Euro delivery pick up and REALLY hoping it does not get delayed because I have to book everything else soon.
6-28 for delivery.
mdrobc1213 (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 11:42 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 731 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
I got the same message today. We're apparently moving down the assembly line side by side.
Congrats sounds like where in the same production schedule and cars going down the line together. Lets keep each other updated as to what occurs thru shipping and delivery!

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Wow a Euro delivery...sounds like a lot to look forward to and plan for. Keep us posted.
Originally Posted by ENCT
6-28 for delivery.
Seems that is the date they are giving all US deliveries 6/28.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:22 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee74
Initially scheduled for October, My wife finally collected her Cayenne end of last week (happy wife, happy life!).

But the next day she already had the first glitch

Electrical sound issue

My wife finally got her Cayenne last weekend, but the next day we already had the first glitch
I’ve canceled my order for an S E-Hybrid Coupe. Way too many glitches and QC issues for comfort. I’ll wait it out then see.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:13 PM
X5toCayenne
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
You didn't state how fast you drove in your all-electric test (indeed, you didn't actually say that you drove in E-Power mode only, but I assume that's what you did). Nor did you state the ambient air temperature when driving, or where you drove geographically. You also didn't specifically state that you measured the odometer reading, vs. monitoring the computer-predicted range in the screen.
The best philosophy behind electric-only driving in any PHEV is to use it for driving in stop-and-go traffic or in slower driving, < 40 mph, and using hybrid mode for driving > 40 mph, because PHEVs just don't do that well at higher speeds in electric-only. As such, Kyle Conner (Out of Spec) posted a YouTube video last year of the new Cayenne E-Hybrid's all-electric range, staying < 45 mph and mostly 40 mph or less, driving around Los Angeles in typical city/suburban traffic, and he got 45 miles of all-electric range from full charge to depleted charge (when the ICE came on).

Conner also did the same type of test for the heavier 2024 GLE 450e, getting 68 miles of all-electric range in city driving (< 40 mph) and 58 miles of all-electric range at 70 mph. The GLE 450e seems to be PHEV king of electric range right now amongst cars actually for sale (the Polestar 1 is no longer being made, nor is the Chevy Volt).
I drive a 2023 X5 45e and average 35-40 miles on a charge. I live in FL so the temperature range is anywhere from 50 - 95 degrees F. My hybrid has been on order since last April, I am waiting to see what the end of June brings me.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:54 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot
I’ve canceled my order for an S E-Hybrid Coupe. Way too many glitches and QC issues for comfort. I’ll wait it out then see.
Honestly things are not exactly so bad. Wife's hybrid is now at 6k+ km and no problem so far - and she is not really "treating" the car well i.e city driving, not everyday charging, not waiting for oil to warm, e.t.c.

Yes they had major delay problems but not sure if there are really "major problems" after customers got their cars.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:49 AM
GTS440
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by silversurfer6
Honestly things are not exactly so bad. Wife's hybrid is now at 6k+ km and no problem so far - and she is not really "treating" the car well i.e city driving, not everyday charging, not waiting for oil to warm, e.t.c.

Yes they had major delay problems but not sure if there are really "major problems" after customers got their cars.
My October 2023 build E-Hybrid was one of the earliest UK deliveries and has been faultless for over 4,000 miles. It is a really great car in my experience and i've had the last 3 generations of Cayenne.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTS440:
Electric Lizard (03-10-2024), southernpaladin (03-16-2024)

Quick Reply: All Hybrid Builds have been Delayed until at least January