Sponsored By:

Help: New to Porsche & buying 2020 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 10:46 AM
CaptBrap
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help: New to Porsche & buying 2020 Cayenne

Likely buying a 2020 base model for my wife. Most Porsche buyers are very deliberate so I don't want to purchase one that has the "wrong" options or has been modified.
Using the links below in order of 1, 2 and 3 does anything raise red flags?
Wife doesn't care about performance, she likes the look and size of the car and just wants a few safety features I know the car has and wants ventilated seats.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Old 08-28-2023, 11:17 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Hello CaptBrap and welcome to Rennlist!

My quick thoughts:

#1 - Best specs overall, but the front has some road rash and the front passenger seat has some significant blemishes.

#2 - Good specs. Has standard 19” wheels that aren’t very flashy but will give a better ride than the flashier 21” wheels on the other two. Best looking interior.

#3 - Good spec with one glaring omission. No comfort access. She’ll have to manually press the key fob to lock & unlock each time. Sounds petty, but it is feature she’ll miss several times each day.

Thing to look for on test drive:

Check for any brake squeals; they’re notoriously difficult to eliminate.

Check for rough downshifts, especially the 3-2 and 2-1 shifts. Thread describing it here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...own-shift.html

Check for drivetrain vibration in 6th gear at 60 mph. Thread describing it here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...vibration.html

Regardless of which you choose, be sure to get a pre-purchase inspection from a Porsche dealer or a qualified independent mechanic.

My pick:#2. Good luck in your hunt.

Last edited by Schnave; 08-28-2023 at 11:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
its_so_fluffy (08-28-2023), Woofman (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 12:00 PM
Woofman
Pro

Received 487 Likes on 298 Posts

Only #2 would be close to acceptable to me from a safety standpoint. It's the one with the radar sensor in the grill that indicates that it has PAS (Porsche Active Safe) which is automatic emergency braking and "probably" Adaptive Cruise Control. Read about it at https://www.porscheirvine.com/resear...ctive-safe.htm

I'm with Schnave, the master, on this one. For the above reason and the ones he mentioned, #2 appears to be the best of these three.

Edit: I should add that online listings can be inaccurate - either good or bad.. Sometimes the only way to tell what a vehicle really has is by an in-person inspection. The only used car I've bought in over 40 years was represented to be a base model and priced accordingly. The seller dabbled in used cars to support his racing hobby and didn't understand what he had bought at auction. The car turned out to be lavishly equipped and bargain priced. I was the first person to look at it and bought it on the spot.

Last edited by Woofman; 08-28-2023 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:11 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
Only #2 would be close to acceptable to me from a safety standpoint. It's the one with the radar sensor in the grill that indicates that it has PAS (Porsche Active Safe) which is automatic emergency braking and "probably" Adaptive Cruise Control. Read about it at https://www.porscheirvine.com/resear...ctive-safe.htm

I'm with Schnave, the master, on this one. For the above reason and the ones he mentioned, #2 appears to be the best of these three.

Radar sensor in the grill is for ACC. The automatic emergency stop feature is standard on E3 cayennes and is guided by the camera in the windshield.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:19 PM
Woofman
Pro

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Radar sensor in the grill is for ACC. The automatic emergency stop feature is standard on E3 cayennes and is guided by the camera in the windshield.
Then why does the webpage for PAS say "Powering the PAS system is a long-range radar scanner"?
Old 08-28-2023, 12:23 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 941 Posts

#1 has no ACC, no roof rails, no trailer hitch. Are these important? It has painted wheel arches = good.

#2 has ACC and 20” wheels, offering a better ride than 21” wheels. No painted wheel arches which for me is not so good. No roof rails or hitch.

#3 has painted wheel arches and rear HVAC controls. But no ACC, roof rails or hitch. Has lowest miles which is important if there is no body or wheel damage.

None have leather interior, are you OK with this?

Last edited by chassis; 08-28-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:39 PM
CaptBrap
AutoX

Everyone, thanks a million. My goal was to show three different cars with different options and get exactly what you gave me, an expert opinion with what to look for and why
Whatever I buy and no matter where it's located I'll drive it and do a deep inspection so thanks for the mechanical look outs.

So I guess painted fender flares/guards is an option. Does anyone know if this painted body molding option is a stand alone or with another package?
How did you know #3 does not have Comfort Access? I read the description and didn't see that written.
We don't really want roof rails.
I'll add a hidden tow hitch on my own if we needed.
Ride is important because it's for my wife so wheel size is meaningful.
ACC sounds likes a nice to have but probably not necessary. Is it standard on the higher models... S, Turbo, etc?

The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 01:34 PM
CaptBrap
AutoX

Regarding the leather, yes, I guess the base model has Porsche Partial Leather, "Pleather" and that'll be just fine. My wife would look at Alcantara, think its fabric and say boo.
chassis (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 01:34 PM
Woofman
Pro

Originally Posted by CaptBrap
Regarding the leather, yes, I guess the base model has Porsche Partial Leather, "Pleather" and that'll be just fine. My wife would look at Alcantara, think its fabric and say boo.
Aren't the seat surfaces real leather but vinyl elsewhere?

The wheel arch extensions come with the 21" and 22" wheel options. I don't think they've been a standalone option but some people have bought and installed them. Be aware that installing a hitch, OEM or aftermarket, requires removing the bumper cover but installation is easier on vehicles without wheel arch extensions. The OEM hitch install on my 2022 cost over $3K at a Porsche dealership - higher because of required new rear wheel arch extensions..

If "ride" is especially important, maybe continue to look for a Cayenne with the air suspension option although the 19" inch wheels should provide a decent ride without it. FYI, Consumer Reports noted that the Cayenne's handling is a bit squirrelly when on the narrow 19" wheels but you said that handling isn't that important to you. Their review of the Cayenne is online and available through many public library websites.

From what I can see in the photos, it looks like all three of these vehicles have steel springs with PASM - Porsche Active Suspension Management which includes a Sport setting.

ACC has been available on as a stand-alone option including on the base Cayenne. It automatically accelerates and brakes to keep a safe following distance behind preceding vehicles and can help prevent rear end collisions. I think the regular adaptive cruise control functions all the way down to zero mph but not sure. My 2022 Cayenne base has the more advanced InnoDrive version of adaptive cruise control which allows limited automated driving including doing the steering.

You might consider learning more about the features that have been available before you make a choice. Optional features often don't come with a commensurate increase in price on a used vehicle.

Last edited by Woofman; 08-28-2023 at 01:39 PM.
chassis (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 02:17 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Just bought a 2020 eHybrid and take delivery Thursday. She WILL want comfort access. That’s a deal breaker to me. No fishing around in my purse for keys when I have an armload of groceries. Number 2 has tan seats and as a former FL girl, WAY better than black on hot days. Just my $.02.
Old 08-28-2023, 03:46 PM
CaptBrap
AutoX

I drove my neighbors base 2017 and the leather looks fine so it's really not on my radar, just needs to be free of damage. I was a professional detailer when I was young and carry on with my own cars so there's no level of grime or paint swirl that I can't defeat.

Expensive trailer hitch isn't happening. I have a Ford F150 for all that. I also have a 21 Audi A4 and 22 Tesla M3. The Audi is being sold for the Cayenne.

Ride is important but in general air suspensions are long-term liabilities and we'll keep this car likely 4+ years so I will specifically not purchase a car with that option and have a bit rougher ride.

I looked up PSAM and understand how that works. I'm assuming PSAM is an option? Any known reliability issues?

Anything driving automated she won't use unless it's a safety feature that prevents an accident and has to be more passive The reason were getting a Cayenne is because she does not like driving the Tesla.

I'll start diving in the forums here to learn more about the Cayenne and its features.
chassis (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 04:09 PM
CaptBrap
AutoX

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
Just bought a 2020 eHybrid and take delivery Thursday. She WILL want comfort access. That’s a deal breaker to me. No fishing around in my purse for keys when I have an armload of groceries. Number 2 has tan seats and as a former FL girl, WAY better than black on hot days. Just my $.02.
Thanks MichelleJD, good input. I think Comfort Access is a done deal after having a Tesla, which knows you're near and then preps the seat, mirrors, steering and AC for you before you get in.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:12 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 730 Posts

The single most important nuisance I found having that model for 3 years, coming from prior Cayennes, was the base suspension. I would go for air suspension or at least PASM for the E3.1. It's hard without being stable. I never liked driving her car because of that. I don't think it lacks power compared to the raspy 2.9TT to be a hard stop.

On the MY24 there's some improvement, but the base steel suspension still lacks proper latitude.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:14 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 507 Likes on 365 Posts

I just sold my well optioned 2020. Must haves for me when I bought it were ACC, Comfort Access and full leather all of which made it a very comfy and enjoyable daily driver. I also like the 21" wheels but 20's will provide the best ride. Expand your search and make a vaca out of picking it up and driving home. And as Schnave said.........get a PPI from a P dealer or a well regarded independent. Also might want to read up on the Lion battery issue which is well reported on this forum.
Good luck.
chassis (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 04:16 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 507 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by MichelleJD

Quick Reply: Help: New to Porsche & buying 2020 Cayenne