Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Painting Black Plastic on TGT

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 02:20 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Unpainted seems fine to me and is consistent with the black plastic that runs the lower front corners, along the bottom side and again in the rear.

The following 3 users liked this post by WaltB:
BTurbo (11-16-2023), imahobo (11-17-2023), southernpaladin (11-15-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 06:27 AM
Zetta
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 100 Posts

The black parts are painted in black satin, it is a big misconception that the plastic parts are not painted.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:56 AM
le rafiot
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
If the trim is that smooth, not the rough trim, you probably could have it wrapped in gloss black. Would probably be a nice look. Find a good wrap shop near you and have them do one wheel well and see what you think. Not expensive and completely reversible!

The gloss makes a big difference. On my '23, I didn't go for gloss black brakes, as the standard brakes are already black. But the dull black looks...not as nice.

ppf not work plastic
In reality, I love him like that
The following users liked this post:
imahobo (11-17-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 10:17 AM
DRSenabled
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AgsWin
Now I am a little torn, it feels like on the non-black models, it takes away from some of the aggressiveness of the TGT. And this is coming from a guy that LOVES to paint match fenders and bumpers normally.
I’m in your same boat. The idea sounds good to paint and I love when fenders match, but it does make the TGT look less aggressive. Works very nice on other models. Maybe Porsche designers were on to something!
Old 11-15-2023, 09:02 PM
sanderson052
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
Had mine painted by my Porsche centre's body shop, easy enough to do, all the black plastic is straightforward to remove. Looks a lot better now.

For you guys that have painted your wheel arches and other trim to match the body color did they have to remove these parts or were they painted on the vehicle. I've already had a faulty parking sensor replaced on my '24 TGT and the SA told me they had to "break" the rear arches to remove the bumper, so they ordered replacements. Seems a bit strange. Would appreciate any insight anyone has. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
imahobo (11-17-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 09:57 AM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sanderson052
For you guys that have painted your wheel arches and other trim to match the body color did they have to remove these parts or were they painted on the vehicle. I've already had a faulty parking sensor replaced on my '24 TGT and the SA told me they had to "break" the rear arches to remove the bumper, so they ordered replacements. Seems a bit strange. Would appreciate any insight anyone has. Thanks.
Everything that was painted was removed beforehand so no masking or painting on the car.

The only parts that were needed were a few clips to replace ones broken on dismantling the bumpers etc.
Old 11-16-2023, 10:56 PM
sanderson052
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
Everything that was painted was removed beforehand so no masking or painting on the car.

The only parts that were needed were a few clips to replace ones broken on dismantling the bumpers etc.
Do you mind me asking what, if anything, you had painted on the front? Just wondering how far to go on the plastic pieces up front. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:27 AM
imahobo
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Painting it definitely changes the aesthetic, and it is a matter of opinion whether it yields an improvement or not. The black cladding is obviously more noticeable on lighter colored vehicles, which is why I ordered Quartzite this time around. From a logical point of view, I resent having to paint a new vehicle, and fear that I would be inviting rock chips due to the size of the tires. Not that I plan on testing gravel mode anytime soon.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:03 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sanderson052
Do you mind me asking what, if anything, you had painted on the front? Just wondering how far to go on the plastic pieces up front. Thanks.
I had the surrounds beneath each headlight done along with the thin plastic piece across the width of the front splitter. Didn't bother with all the plastic slats etc.

Quick Reply: Painting Black Plastic on TGT