Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Bizarre Situation

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 03:57 PM
Kalson
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Would someone pouring gas into your gas tank cause this? Or would the engine stall out before causing such catastrophic damage?
Old 12-01-2023, 04:09 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Glad it came out in your favor.

Once again it goes to prove, dealers do **** when certifying the cars. If there's indeed more water in the coolant, dealer should have checked the coolant especially if there's no service history to prove any fluid change but they did nothing, zero, nada...

And for that reason, i don't buy certified cars, always follow the service history and always get a good after market warranty.

Screw Certification process
Old 12-01-2023, 05:33 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 687 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by .dot.
The question now will be do I look at another CPO S/GTS or opt for a 2024 refresh.....
What a crazy story. If you can afford to go new, it would be nice to start out fresh. But, CPO might not be a bad idea. Many people purchase CPO and don't have problems. Anyway, what are the odds lightning would strike twice? Good luck!
Old 12-01-2023, 06:35 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

CPO is a joke, they'll certify anything that drives a bare minimum.
VW seems to make a point in being terrible in the post sale. Any warranty claim is an uphill battle, large sums start with a denial.
I'm not sure if beemers are much better in that sense, after 20+ years driving Porsches, I'm fazing them out, will keep the Spyder but pana and cayenne are the last 4 door I'll have from the brand. Not that others are much better, but at least they're much cheaper.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:04 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
CPO is a joke, they'll certify anything that drives a bare minimum.
VW seems to make a point in being terrible in the post sale. Any warranty claim is an uphill battle, large sums start with a denial.
I'm not sure if beemers are much better in that sense, after 20+ years driving Porsches, I'm fazing them out, will keep the Spyder but pana and cayenne are the last 4 door I'll have from the brand. Not that others are much better, but at least they're much cheaper.
MB is the same. Uphill battle for warranty coverage for anything other than parts broken in multiple pieces or oil (or flames) spurting from the engine.

Last edited by chassis; 12-01-2023 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:47 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

Lexus gets a decent rep. Never even drove one. They're looking better in more recent years.

What Porsche did to the OP I went with my 911. Because it was a mechanical failure and the car had a tune in the past, they didn't bother to investigate. Just denied everything and called the day. PCNA outright lied to me with made up laws. I traded the car as is with a major loss and moved on. They told me that the whole drivetrain warranty was gone even replacing the short block as they cannot warrant parts like turbos. They fixed the car, failed to sell non-CPO. Car went to auction, bought by east coast dealer. They CPO the car and sold it to PA. I can see the monthly visits to the dealer in carfax.

Another car I had I traded and the dealer CPO it the same day. It had Cup2s on a 911 base, aftermarket rotors and pads, ECU tune. The owner had problems a year later trying to pass inspection bc of the tune.
A friend bought a 997 years back, aftermarket wheels that crumbled on a track day. CPO as well and the dealer had the nerve to deny warranty bc the wheels were aftermarket. Same dealer that CPO the car.

I bought a MB that was poorly repainted after a major crash, also CPO.

It's a joke.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:54 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 123 Posts

I have had zero issues with Mercedes on warranty and there have been some unusual issues resolved. If something isn’t “broken” then it’s an uphill battle with any Brand because often the Dealer must be requirred to replicate the issue. Video and pictures are your friend for those random issues.
Porsche could have avoided a $150k repurchase if they had offered to resolve my transfer case vibration. The Porsche Tech support reportedly deemed it an exhaust vibration and that “they all do it”. There are other vehicles with the same vibration so it might mean it’s systemic.
Porsche also considers oil consumption normal at ridiculous levels just under 900 miles per Q. My car was approaching that number so I was happy that I didn’t need to deal with that issue going forward.
I wonder if some “less than satisfactory” support isn’t a result of Tech competency/attitude. Also, maybe at times it’s too time consuming to resolve by a busy Tech. Possibly the time allowance (for what the Dealer is paid) isn’t adequate for more than a cursory review. The different time zone in Germany makes it more difficult for Dealers to communicate in some US time zones.
The easiest warranty outcomes seem to be when something is broken. But even then no one carries parts…so delays result. My Porsche fuel pump replacement took about 4 weeks to arrive.

Last edited by Ron.s; 12-01-2023 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:16 PM
gatorfast
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 257 Posts

Somehow missed this thread until now and its unbelievable. Dot sorry you had to go through this but at least insurance was able to cover it. There are far too many threads on here of Porsche denying what appear to be valid warrant claims...
Old 12-04-2023, 09:35 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Ok, how in the hell did that much water get in the engine? Only way I can think of is that the coolant was indeed mostly water and somehow it mixed. Because as the OP said, there's no way the car would have ingested that much water without dying. And if it was added to the gas tank as someone else suggested (which is unlikely as the gas cap is locked when the car is locked, again, you're talking about water through the fuel injection system. There would have been hardly any in there; it would have mostly burned off.

This is really, really weird. If you've ever looked at the induction system under the hood of a 9Y0, that airbox is huge and complicated. You'd have to literally run the car under water to suck in that much.
Old 12-04-2023, 10:22 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 203 Posts

@.dot. what justification did your insurance use to cover the damage? I am curious to know because my girlfriend’s sister is sitting on a car w internal engine damage since last Spring. my immediate comment at the time was anything mechanical will just be consider wear & tear / neglect as far as car insurance. baring the case of a natural disaster where say the car ended up parked and water levels rose up and submerged it.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:18 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Ok, how in the hell did that much water get in the engine? Only way I can think of is that the coolant was indeed mostly water and somehow it mixed. Because as the OP said, there's no way the car would have ingested that much water without dying. And if it was added to the gas tank as someone else suggested (which is unlikely as the gas cap is locked when the car is locked, again, you're talking about water through the fuel injection system. There would have been hardly any in there; it would have mostly burned off.

This is really, really weird. If you've ever looked at the induction system under the hood of a 9Y0, that airbox is huge and complicated. You'd have to literally run the car under water to suck in that much.
If there is something like two gallons of water in the engine, someone thought the oil filler cap in the engine was the coolant tank OR more likely the windshield washer fluid cap and poured it in there. People do stupid stuff all the time like that. My guess is they thought they were filling up the washer fluid, instead they put it right in the crankcase. Not malicious, just clueless.

I'm very, very surprised insurance would cover it. That's the first time I have heard of that.
The following 3 users liked this post by drcollie:
closenough (12-04-2023), Needsdecaf (12-04-2023), Schnave (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 11:22 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

This whole thread and explanations follow the title....bizarre. Some things still don't add up.

2 gallons of water in the crankcase? Only way that could EVER happen is if someone poured 2 gallons of water into the crankcase directly via the oil fill cap. Water in didn't make it in/past the piston rings, or through the fuel tank. Again, I am with others that a high oil level would have been triggered. Tampering seems like a big stretch...car would have to be left unlocked, etc, etc. not a whole lot is plausible for 2 gals of water to get in the crankcase....except pouring 2 gals of water into the crankcase.

Last edited by 95_993; 12-04-2023 at 04:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 95_993:
closenough (12-04-2023), Needsdecaf (12-04-2023), Schnave (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 12:00 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Question do you have an exwife or ex girlfriend that would do this to you? anyone have access to the keys while parked? sounds like sabotage and if there is a motive....
Old 12-04-2023, 01:22 PM
retom
Racer

Received 271 Likes on 167 Posts

Pouring 2 gallons of water into the crankcase through the oil filler cap would immediately be indicated by a warning that the oil level was too high.
Unless someone did it on purpose and replaced some of the oil with water. I don't suspect an ex-wife or girlfriend, but maybe the previous owner had a bad relationship with the dealer who sold this car?
Old 12-04-2023, 02:28 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Pouring 2 gallons of water into the crankcase through the oil filler cap would immediately be indicated by a warning that the oil level was too high.
Unless someone did it on purpose and replaced some of the oil with water. I don't suspect an ex-wife or girlfriend, but maybe the previous owner had a bad relationship with the dealer who sold this car?
or: someone working at the dealer did it, because they disliked the person running the dealer or owning the dealership for some reason. imagine a person doing inspections as a job having it in for the dealer, they would be in the perfect position to do something like this.
The following users liked this post:
retom (12-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Bizarre Situation