Sponsored By:

Things to do - Car will be idle for 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 07:29 AM
rajatparihar
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Things to do - Car will be idle for 2 weeks

Hi, we are going to our home country for 2 weeks and wanted to know the best practices in relation to parking our 2023 MY23 e-hybrid suv? Shall we connect the high voltage charger to the car when it is going to be parked idle for 2 weeks or shall we go for a tickle charger route in case battery is dead on our arrival?
In the past we have had diesel A7 3.0TDI, A5 2.7TDI and none of them had any issues in relation to battery, at once we were away for 55 days and the A7 started within 1st attempt

**Looking for the valuable suggestions**

Last edited by rajatparihar; 01-03-2024 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:50 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 205 Posts

assuming the bms (battery mgmt system) if decent it should be able to have the high voltage connected w/o issue i would think. but with that duration of time a trickle should be sufficient if you are concerned and it is starting w near a full charge.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:53 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 622 Likes on 401 Posts

Tell me where you live and I'll come "babysit" things....LOL.

2 weeks you should be just fine, unless it is ridiculously cold where the vehicle is parked. If you're concerned, invest in a battery appropriate (AGM vs Litium) tender for around $80-$100ish.

Don't forget, "tender" is different than "trickle charger" as well. Tender > trickle charger.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:38 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Put the car on a battery maintainer. (CTEK Lithium for example.)

You don't want to risk running the battery down. It happened on my 2019 base Cayenne and the battery had to be replaced.

Old 01-03-2024, 12:19 PM
off
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

The Porsche garage mentioned that leaving the EVSE plugged in will maintain the LiPo battery. So plug it into the one there and also you can see the status on the My Porsche app while you are away.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:54 PM
rajatparihar
Racer

I went to porsche centre this afternoon and asked about the options. They mentioned two ways:

1) get a charge o mat pro (€200) and put it on when away. Its a battery conditioner and not a charger so they said this should work. But my issue is i park my car outside on the driveway as you can see on pic. So putting the wire inside car via window will be tricky considering Irish weather.

2) 2nd option is porsche roadside assistance that my car comes with for 3 years. Means if in case battery dead when I am back they asked to call them and they will send the assistance free of cost and charge the battery at my home.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:08 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rajatparihar
I went to porsche centre this afternoon and asked about the options. They mentioned two ways:

1) get a charge o mat pro (€200) and put it on when away. Its a battery conditioner and not a charger so they said this should work. But my issue is i park my car outside on the driveway as you can see on pic. So putting the wire inside car via window will be tricky considering Irish weather.

2) 2nd option is porsche roadside assistance that my car comes with for 3 years. Means if in case battery dead when I am back they asked to call them and they will send the assistance free of cost and charge the battery at my home.
I would suggest using the cigarette lighter adapter on a CTEK battery maintainer. You can plug it into the 12V outlet in the passenger side footwell area. Run the wire across the door sill and outside the vehicle. The rubber weatherstripping will compress and permit the wire to pass through without any issues. (I do this with my Cayenne.) Your car will remain weather tight while you are gone.

The CTEK Lithium charger / maintainer is specifically engineered for LiFePO4 batteries. The price (in the US) is $120.

Amazon Amazon

The Cigarette Lighter adapter (called Comfort Connect) is priced at $16.00 US.

Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
rajatparihar (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 01:53 PM
rajatparihar
Racer

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I would suggest using the cigarette lighter adapter on a CTEK battery maintainer. You can plug it into the 12V outlet in the passenger side footwell area. Run the wire across the door sill and outside the vehicle. The rubber weatherstripping will compress and permit the wire to pass through without any issues. (I do this with my Cayenne.) Your car will remain weather tight while you are gone.

The CTEK Lithium charger / maintainer is specifically engineered for LiFePO4 batteries. The price (in the US) is $120.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EUF6UM8...roduct_details

The Cigarette Lighter adapter (called Comfort Connect) is priced at $16.00 US.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016LA5O8...roduct_details
sounds like a good option. Would the weather seal not damage even a slight because of compression due to wire?
Old 01-03-2024, 02:18 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

sounds like a good option. Would the weather seal not damage even a slight because of compression due to wire?
No - this will not be a problem. There is enough flexibility with the weatherstripping that it will not deform.

Old 01-03-2024, 02:19 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 182 Posts

Well, you already have the necessary attack dog on site, so my only suggestion is to run the ICE hard for a while to burn off accumulated water in the sump.
rajatparihar (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 02:24 PM
rajatparihar
Racer

No - this will not be a problem. There is enough flexibility with the weatherstripping that it will not deform.
Great then. I will do that. Would you have any suggestions in case i want to use the 12v socket in the boot and run the wire out from boot. Hope it will close with wire running from there.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:25 PM
rajatparihar
Racer

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
Well, you already have the necessary attack dog on site, so my only suggestion is to run the ICE hard for a while to burn off accumulated water in the sump.
haha this dog is a showpiece but only i know it - not my neighbours 😂😂

will do a motorway run when I am back - going to home country to drop my wife and kids so i will have more reason to hit the motorway hard 😂😂
Old 01-03-2024, 02:38 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Great then. I will do that. Would you have any suggestions in case i want to use the 12v socket in the boot and run the wire out from boot. Hope it will close with wire running from there.
I don't know if that socket remains powered after the car has been sitting idle for awhile. You may want to test it.

The passenger side footwell outlet will stay powered. When I set the CTEK charger / maintainer up, I usually lock the car. The outlet stays powered and the battery will fully charge.

One point of consideration for you would be to make sure that the CTEK charger is not left out exposed to the elements (rain for example.) It should not get wet. Perhaps you could enclose or cover it with something waterproof. Same thing for any power connections to it.

Old 01-03-2024, 02:40 PM
rajatparihar
Racer

One point of consideration for you would be to make sure that the CTEK charger is not left out exposed to the elements (rain for example.) It should not get wet. Perhaps you could enclose or cover it with something waterproof. Same thing for any power connections to it.
My plan is to put the ctek charger inside car and the wall socket to the ctek charger wire will need to go from the door weather seal.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:20 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by off
The Porsche garage mentioned that leaving the EVSE plugged in will maintain the LiPo battery. So plug it into the one there and also you can see the status on the My Porsche app while you are away.
This is what I do and what Porsche recommends. The on-board charger is supposed to maintain the 12v battery.
i386_64 (01-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Things to do - Car will be idle for 2 weeks