Sponsored By:

Winter tire & wheel set - read a lot but wondering if these will work

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 12:31 PM
samsoccer7
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tire & wheel set - read a lot but wondering if these will work

Have a 2022 Cayenne S I bought recently (first time Porsche owner!). Did a ton of reading yesterday on the forum and elsewhere. Still unclear about staggered vs. square for a winter set. I need new summer/all season tires so I figured now would be the time to get a winter set then get a summer set in the spring.

I found a set of 275/45R20 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires locally. They come with Victor Zehn black wheels 20x10J. These used to be on a Cayenne Turbo per the seller, not sure which model year.

My current set is of course 285/40R21 on 21x9.5J and 315/35R21 on 21x11J Tirerack wants a 20x9 for the front wheels with a 275/45R20 tire which is confusing to me. They want a 20x10.5 on the rear for 305/40R20. My head is spinning.

I'm trying to do the math but I'm just not well versed enough on this to understand if I can use these, should use these, and what else I'd need (spacers I imagine, and TPMS sensors maybe?).

Old 01-12-2024, 12:45 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

This is a valuable website:
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/pors...2/#region-usdm

It lists all of the wheel/tire combinations that work on the Cayenne S for the US or any other region if it is different there.

You can also calculate other variations that might work and it will identify risk areas like clearance to suspension and brakes. You will need to know the ET of the new wheels:

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
Old 01-12-2024, 12:48 PM
samsoccer7
Track Day

Originally Posted by sonorous
This is a valuable website:
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/pors...2/#region-usdm

It lists all of the wheel/tire combinations that work on the Cayenne S for the US or any other region if it is different there.

You can also calculate other variations that might work and it will identify risk areas like clearance to suspension and brakes. You will need to know the ET of the new wheels:

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
Thank you I came across that site yesterday and forgot about it. So it seems 20x10J isn't an option. Also, the site seems to show staggered only, but if one wanted to go square just go with the same size as the fronts, correct?
Old 01-12-2024, 02:08 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

You can run a given size tire on a "range" of rim widths. Not sure why you say tirerack specs a specific rim width...usually a range.

For example, my previous gen Cayenne runs 275/40-20 tires on all 4 corners BUT the rims are staggered 9 front, 10 rear. This is the way it was spec's from the factory.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:16 PM
samsoccer7
Track Day

Originally Posted by 95_993
You can run a given size tire on a "range" of rim widths. Not sure why you say tirerack specs a specific rim width...usually a range.

For example, my previous gen Cayenne runs 275/40-20 tires on all 4 corners BUT the rims are staggered 9 front, 10 rear. This is the way it was spec's from the factory.
I mean that when I try to put together a package on Tirerack it's giving me 20x9 and 20x10.5 as the rim widths. I don't know if 20x10 will work for all 4.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:25 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by samsoccer7
I mean that when I try to put together a package on Tirerack it's giving me 20x9 and 20x10.5 as the rim widths. I don't know if 20x10 will work for all 4.
You will never know for sure unless you actually test it or find someone that did. In the absence of that, you can assess the risk for yourself using the calculator. Calculate the front OEM compared to the new wheel and then again for the rear. If both indicate low risk, then it might be worth buying them and trying for yourself.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:41 PM
samsoccer7
Track Day

Originally Posted by sonorous
You will never know for sure unless you actually test it or find someone that did. In the absence of that, you can assess the risk for yourself using the calculator. Calculate the front OEM compared to the new wheel and then again for the rear. If both indicate low risk, then it might be worth buying them and trying for yourself.
Makes sense. I used wheel calc and willtheyfit and I think it'd be ok, I attached my comps here. I'm not 100% sure about the factory offsets, but the Victor Zehn offset is 50.

Last edited by samsoccer7; 01-12-2024 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:48 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

20X10 ET50mm is essentially identical to the stock front wheel specs. On the rear the outer lip will retract by 8mm and there will be 30mm more clearance on the inner side. Provided you don't have yellow calipers, they will fit. 275/45/20 square is what I run on mine and it's great. There's great tire selection in winters for that size. Funny enough, I also have the Zehn wheels on my VW touareg. I really like them and they are a "rotary forged" wheel, which is a bit better than the cast ones you find from most places. I'd jump on those wheels if I were you for a set of winters.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:45 PM
Vladimir Stosic
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MICHELIN Pilot Alpin 5 SUV only!

Only get those Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV N01

all season is actually summer tire for low temperatures and maybe not get killed in snow

all weather is actualy winter tire that will kill you in hot weather if you try sport drive but in snow its perfect

so just get two sets and forget about “all something” tyre

For summer get Pirelli Pzero PZ4 non homologated one because Porsche is too lazy to update tire for E3 they just did it for Facelift!
and be sure to get ZR21/ZR22 model not some other option from milion of pirelli options.
Old 01-13-2024, 01:41 PM
samsoccer7
Track Day

Originally Posted by JustinL
20X10 ET50mm is essentially identical to the stock front wheel specs. On the rear the outer lip will retract by 8mm and there will be 30mm more clearance on the inner side. Provided you don't have yellow calipers, they will fit. 275/45/20 square is what I run on mine and it's great. There's great tire selection in winters for that size. Funny enough, I also have the Zehn wheels on my VW touareg. I really like them and they are a "rotary forged" wheel, which is a bit better than the cast ones you find from most places. I'd jump on those wheels if I were you for a set of winters.
I took a look and the tires are between 3-6/32nd each which seems a bit low. The rims are in great shape. I may make an offer on the rims and get new tires. Or just wait til spring on my 4/32nd continental all seasons. Ugh.

Quick Reply: Winter tire & wheel set - read a lot but wondering if these will work