Sponsored By:

Warming up in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 05:53 PM
mgx1020
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Warming up in the winter

How are folks managing with cold starts in terms of ideal temp to move on? It’s a cold engine bay these days .

Is there an idea temp before shifting to gear? Also since it’s a hybrid I’m find myself having some EV anxiety where the battery is running low and I know hybrids about to kick on with a cold engine
Old 01-20-2024, 06:02 PM
matthewr87
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 166 Posts

In traditional vehicles I wait for the cold idle to drop to normal before setting off and then I keep the RPMs reasonable until the oil reaches operating temperature. With a hybrid your ICE will obviously experience more cold starts and longer hours operating below optimum temperature but that is just the nature of the beast.

Last edited by matthewr87; 01-20-2024 at 06:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by matthewr87:
jo2134 (01-20-2024), Kalson (01-21-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 10:11 PM
jo2134
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewr87
In traditional vehicles I wait for the cold idle to drop to normal before setting off and then I keep the RPMs reasonable until the oil reaches operating temperature. With a hybrid your ICE will obviously experience more cold starts and longer hours operating below optimum temperature but that is just the nature of the beast.
Same here I don’t drive off until engine is idling under 1000 RPM and keep it low until its warmed up.
Old 01-21-2024, 01:09 AM
dragan
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Preheating your car 5 to 10 minutes before driving will increase oil and coolant temperature up to 45 F
Old 01-21-2024, 10:39 AM
Vapordan
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 69 Posts

Idling to warm is a myth.
it’s busted here https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...mediately.html
The following users liked this post:
Hams911 (01-23-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 11:12 AM
dragan
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

In the situation I know I will be using ICE i preheat my car over the app ( have e-hybrid) for 5 to 10 minutes ,sit in the car put in the sport mode.The engine will come up and after RPM settle down( it will take maybe a minute) switch back to E/Hybrid.
that way I know oil did got to the to the all parts of the engine ,then I drove away and let the cars decided whenever will use E mode or ICE
Needsdecaf (01-22-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 02:02 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Vapordan
good read and i had read something like this about 15 years ago.

what oil operating temp should we target?

I just finished break in period on my 2024 base coupe and did the initial oil change. I have been waiting until the oil temp is 200° F to do any exciting driving. I picked that temp because I noticed when I initially drove the car the 500 miles home the temp on the hwy was 204°. Recently when our temps were low 20s I noticed the car never got over 195 on a long hwy drive. So I assumed at that point I could consider 195 operating temp.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:16 PM
Kalson
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Vapordan
Yet there are still people who idle their cars for 15-minutes. LOL
Old 01-22-2024, 09:26 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Do you have the Porsche Connect app? You can set the departure timer so the Cayenne is charged and preconditioned for when you leave. It will warm the battery and interior for you. If you are out and about you can set the Cayenne to precondition off the HV battery, Just use the icon with the heat and symbols to the left of the key symbol at the lower third of the screen. It takes around 30 to precondition. It will drop your r-range but at the same time max it out since the battery is warmed. Sounds counter intuitive but it works. That was part of the problem up in Chicago last week with EV's m not charging. The batteries needed to be warmed up to accpet the chgarge and many of them were all ready toast when they pulled up the the chargers. You will notice up to a 30% reduction in e-range in the cold. These batteries are sensitive to excessive hot and cold temperatures. You might even see a message showing "epower" not available even though the gauge will show that the HV battery has a charge.
Needsdecaf (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 10:27 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,553 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by craig001
Do you have the Porsche Connect app? You can set the departure timer so the Cayenne is charged and preconditioned for when you leave. It will warm the battery and interior for you. If you are out and about you can set the Cayenne to precondition off the HV battery, Just use the icon with the heat and symbols to the left of the key symbol at the lower third of the screen. It takes around 30 to precondition. It will drop your r-range but at the same time max it out since the battery is warmed. Sounds counter intuitive but it works. That was part of the problem up in Chicago last week with EV's m not charging. The batteries needed to be warmed up to accpet the chgarge and many of them were all ready toast when they pulled up the the chargers. You will notice up to a 30% reduction in e-range in the cold. These batteries are sensitive to excessive hot and cold temperatures. You might even see a message showing "epower" not available even though the gauge will show that the HV battery has a charge.
Originally Posted by dragan
In the situation I know I will be using ICE i preheat my car over the app ( have e-hybrid) for 5 to 10 minutes ,sit in the car put in the sport mode.The engine will come up and after RPM settle down( it will take maybe a minute) switch back to E/Hybrid.
that way I know oil did got to the to the all parts of the engine ,then I drove away and let the cars decided whenever will use E mode or ICE
Good suggestions here.

We don't get much cold weather here in TX. But we have over the last 10 days. The e range is decidedly less (likely mostly due to battery and cabin conditioning). So I pre-conditioned the car on the plug before leaving. If I knew that I was going to get close to the car kicking into ICE mode, I.e. a trip of more than 15 miles, I simply put it in hybrid and drove with enough vigor to get the engine to come on and warm up. But if I knew that it was just a short trip, I didn't bother and just left it in EPower and made sure the engine didn't come on.

Old 01-24-2024, 12:34 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 695 Likes on 484 Posts

I live in a place where we have -30C nights and -18C days during the winter. Morning starts aren't a problem for me as I park in a heated garage. When I leave work after the car has sat for 6 hours at -18C ( 0F), I start the car, let it idle for about 20 seconds and then put it in gear and drive off slowly until the exhaust flaps close (exhaust quiets) and then drive moderately until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

I have done the same with every car I have owned since oil went to synthetic (before that I plugged in a block heater). I've never had an engine problem although I tend to get a new car every 3 or 4 years so I probably wouldn't know what happens long term.

Last edited by kayjh; 01-24-2024 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Warming up in the winter