Cayenne E hybrid or cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 02:29 AM
YanaQ
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cayenne E hybrid or cayenne?

Hi All,

I am planning to purchase a new 2024 Cayenne Coupe instead of my current 2019 Cayenne. However, I am currently unable to decide whether I should buy the e-hybrid coupe or the regular Cayenne coupe. Some of my friends have mentioned that the e-hybrid has lower resale value than the regular one and may have more technical issues and a higher fault rate than the gas version. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could share some feedback and advice.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:09 AM
whistler80
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I've also ordered a Coupe not a Hybrid, for me the extra cost of the Hybrid is never going to recoup the fuel saved and the additional potential tech and battery problems further down the line were an additional factor in my decision to stick with an ICE only. I can't give you any feedback but I'm interested to know as well.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:32 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 239 Posts

i think it boils down to your wants. I assume u have something in your list of wants that puts the e-hybrid on your list over std. ice. here are a bunch of things i have heard:

The e-hybrid has the advanced heating and cooling that you can start from the app, nice for very hot or cold days. Since it has a plug you get access to the EV parking. Chevron lets u charge for free in canada, at least in Victoria. You are basically paying for ur fuel savings up front, so there is no incentive financially. If u get ur power from a clean source there is a green facet that people like. You are getting electric and ice power combined so you have a faster vehicle. some people have commented on the feel of the e-hybrid brakes being different and not to their liking. some people have commented on the weight - e-hybrid is heavier which will have a handling impact in theory. I also believe they are more expensive to insure. hybrid technology is maturing/mature, but it is still more complex than ICE. If you don’t like getting gas you can get gas less often.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasWShea:
whistler80 (01-26-2024), YanaQ (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 10:44 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I am in my second eHybrid. Started in a 958.2 and moved to a 9YO for the extra e-range. If you are looking for giddy up then the eHybrid is supposed almost as fast as a Turbo Cayenne. You get torque right off the line with an EV. But if you are looking for that then maybe you should not get into an eHybrid. They are heavier and there are more electronics to go glitchy (BTDT and Porsche and electronics are an iffy thing) but I warm weather I average around 51 mpg (according to Gas Buddy app) and 21 to 24 e-miles. Temperature is a big factor in your e-range - about 30% refuction in cold. My Cayenne's happy zone is 60-70 degrees. That is when I'll see 21 to 24 e-miles. Now my Cayenne has some nice options: Sport Chrono, Air suspension (which is standard on 9YO.2s) and Rear Wheel Steering (just because I thought it would be interesting). Precondtioning is nice. Nothing like getting into a car that is at 69 degrees when it's be;pw freezing outside. Use the departure timer and this will be done off shore power. You can also precondition using the HV battery and Porsche app. It will draw off the HV battery so it will cost you some range but also extend your range becasue the HV pack will be at temperature for more efficiency. I know some people get the green trim delete but I like theh green brakes - it has started some parking lot conversations after someone asks about the color. Don't forget to factor in the cost of having a 220 outlet installed. I paid $2k to have a new service drop in my garage which included the service box, panel surge protect and rewiring my garge along with GFI outlets (required by code). I would not bag the surge protector silling to cheap out on $500 for a vehicle that costs north of $100k. So all in all I would say go green, just my $00.02.
The following users liked this post:
YanaQ (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 01:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,553 Likes on 1,589 Posts

We purchased our EHybrid because after living in the same location for many years, knowing our use case, it makes the most sense. We do a lot of short trips, and a few long ones. In the 11 months we've owned it, we've put 9,600 miles on it. 6,970 have been in EV mode. We're averaging 69.2 MPG. We can charge at home, opted for the faster onboard charger, and often charge multiple times in one day on the weekend. Wife can use it to get to and from work and 90% of her days are all EV. It has enough zip to get on the highway in EV mode. It's awesome to not have to start the engine to drive 2.5 miles to the grocery store at the Village Center.

We also still have our Cayenne Diesel and I lived 4 years with an EV (Tesla). So I have a good grasp on the pros and cons of all of them. This fits OUR lifestyle perfectly.

We have straight flat roads here and a mild climate. My wife is the daily driver, and she's sporty but not aggressive. I have taken it on the back roads and driven it in Sport plus and kept up with a bunch of Boxsters, Caymans, and 997's and 996's with ZERO issues. It was fun, too, even with 3 big people and a teenager on board.

Having said that...it's not for everyone. If I was commuting 90 miles a day again...i would either get the gas model or an EV. I've run the numbers....even with cheap electricity, our gas is cheap and we're not saving a ton of money. I don't recall how much over the price of a base the hybrid was but I wouldn't expect anything less than a 5 year break even, if not more. But that's not why we bought it. It's quiet, smooth, and mechanically sympathetic to avoid a ton of short starts / stops on the ICE. It's awesome filling the tank every 1,100 to 1,500 miles....but if we need to do a road trip we can still fill the tank. The brakes are wonky...they are working on it this service....but even my wife doesn't "complain" about it so much as note it and deal with it. Otherwise, mechanically it's ace. Soooooo smooth and easy to use.

So examine your use case, run the numbers and see where you end up. I think they are a good choice. And before anyone says it.....even when you've depeleted the all EV range from plugging in; you're still driving a hybrid. It still shuts the engine down when coasting on a freeway. It still shuts off in traffic. Even at "zero" range, if you are inching along in traffic, unless you are DEAD, it'll shut the engine down and creep you along in EV mode.

We love ours. But it may not be for you.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 01-26-2024 at 01:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
JArnald (01-27-2024), southernpaladin (01-29-2024), YanaQ (01-31-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 03:11 PM
Kheires
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

debating this very topic too. i was told if i order today, delivery would be at some point in june. already have garage charging for the rivian, so not an issue. mostly our decision is between the base e-hybrid and a X5 50e. electricity very cheap by us, and the added HP/torque bump from the base to the base ehybrid is quite nice.

Last edited by Kheires; 01-26-2024 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Cayenne E hybrid or cayenne?