Sponsored By:

LR Defender 110

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 01:03 PM
PUZZ1
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts
Default LR Defender 110

Anyone cross shop their Cayenne with the Defender 110? Starting to consider my next move now that I’m coming up on 9 years with my ‘15 Audi A8 3.0. I never really considered The Defender, but while researching CPO full sized L405 Range Rovers, they’ve started to intrigue me. A CPO Cayenne still very much on the list. Also, while I am full aware of the reliability concerns on Land Rover, I’m not sure they are hugely worse than Porsche or anything else. More interested in perspectives from those who seriously looked at Defender (or the full sized Rage for that matter) but opted for the Cayenne. I’d be looking at a base Cayenne or potentially an S for the right deal - no Turbo or GTS for me. I like them, but just not needed.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:59 PM
retom
Racer

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

It depends on what you need the car for. Defender and Cayenne are two completely different cars and it is difficult to compare them. Defender is an off-road car and Cayenne is an SUV.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:08 PM
rjk25
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

just take note 2019 and not sure how many years have the lithium battery issue thats been discussed here in depth..
Old 02-25-2024, 10:15 PM
Fahrfun
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 91 Posts

As already mentioned, it really depends on what you are looking for, need and/or want. If you thoroughly test drive each of your candidates, then you may find the answer yourself. I can only share my personal biased conclusion. I’ve driven the LR RR from two gens ago and the newest one when it trickled into the US market. The latter both on road and off-road experience. I also did the factory off-road in Germany last summer in the 24 Cayenne S. Close enough to your target. No defender though; was not interested in the rougher Bronco class. RR is high on interior comfort for all passengers though the latest gen seems to have cheated on rear legroom unless you opt for her majesty’s LWB. Off-road capability is insane especially when combined with the plushness. Independent wheel travel of ?? inches made me speechless. With the BMW v8 it came with, it made the 6mo old BMW x5 M50i I already had (and ditched soon thereafter) irrelevant. The Cayenne on the other hand is the driver’s SUV. More taught, but oh so sports sedan-like (amongst SUVs) in that class and then some, relatively speaking. Totally enjoying my local Porsche tours with the base Cayenne (lighter than the S) ripping through 25 mph switchbacks at 55+. Have air and rear steer. I’m in love with driving again. So the latter was for me. Still great for family road trips (reason I got it over the Macan) comfy enough and quiet enough with the ordered acoustic glass, and lots of smiles from the driver even just cruising. Porsche steering feel is sublime and worth the price of admission. If I gave up driving and just wanted to chauffeur around in greater luxury, then the RR. The Cayenne is no slouch off-road however! The ‘24 S managed 80% up & down grades and 28 degree banks (around a conical hill! Scary as hell) without a sweat on 21in all season tires. The sheer range of capability one can experience in the Cayenne between on and off road is unmatched. By design. Other brands may offer better capability in one area or another, but none wins this all rounder trophy including 7000+ lbs of towing on top. But then, a few buy these vehicles strictly for vanity. In which case none of the hard working engineers’ accomplishments are appreciated or make a difference to those buyers.

Last edited by Fahrfun; 02-25-2024 at 10:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
southernpaladin (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 12:09 AM
Talon38c
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Land Rovers are pretty common on the westside of Los Angeles. I'd get another Grand Cherokee over a Land Rover any day. Instead, I ordered a '24 Cayenne. :-)
southernpaladin (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 07:42 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 227 Posts

I have a 2023 Land Rover defender 110, I think it's a great utilitarian car. It's big, it's very comfortable on road trips but the body roll is a big issue and to get the equivalent feeling of a cayenne pull/torque you need the V8. The V6 is just good enough but not enough to feel any performance out of.

I'll throw a curve ball at you, you should look at the bronco raptors. I just got one of those too and it's become my new favorite SUV (I also have a cayenne turbo gt). it's a blast.
Booth9999 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
alvav
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Take a look at reliability ratings. Defender is a good-looking SUV but the reliability is abysmal. I believe that Land Rover products are at the very bottom of the reliability rankings. The Cayenne is consistently rated "above-average" with respect to reliability.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:54 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 227 Posts

I've had 3 Land Rover products, RR full, RR sport and now the defender. I really think it's overblown. I've had my P cars in for more issues than the LRs, for sure..

Booth9999 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 01:39 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 194 Posts

I admit, I've never owned a Land Rover product, but I've know many who have and a few who will only drive LR. Based on these experiences, I've been of the opinion that the best way to buy a LR product is to get one 1-2yrs used coming in off lease. You can review the service history to see how many problems a particular vehicle had. With LR, they are either rock solid or really problematic. There doesn't seem to be an in-between.
TacoBuddy (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 01:56 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by PUZZ1
Also, while I am full aware of the reliability concerns on Land Rover, I’m not sure they are hugely worse than Porsche or anything else.
Are you sure?

The following 3 users liked this post by kayjh:
alvav (02-27-2024), Ironman88 (02-27-2024), Tedster (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 09:54 PM
TacoBuddy
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
I admit, I've never owned a Land Rover product, but I've know many who have and a few who will only drive LR. Based on these experiences, I've been of the opinion that the best way to buy a LR product is to get one 1-2yrs used coming in off lease. You can review the service history to see how many problems a particular vehicle had. With LR, they are either rock solid or really problematic. There doesn't seem to be an in-between.
Yes this 100% they either have minor issues or are lemon's and there seems to be little variation between but thats the problem with them, its always such a roll of the dice.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:51 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I've had 3 Land Rover products, RR full, RR sport and now the defender. I really think it's overblown. I've had my P cars in for more issues than the LRs, for sure..

It is overblown. We own three right now and have had them in the family close to 20 years. Yes some odd issues but mostly in the shop for routine maintenance, including the first model year L460 RR.

I love people that profess knowledge without ever having owned one.

To the OP, my view of the 110 is a very solid truck, overall good performer but I found value lacking for the interior finishes you get.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:01 AM
alvav
Intermediate

Personal opinions/anecdotes/etc are nice and all but hard data trumps all. Bottom line is LR is rated at 30 out of 100 wrt reliability and 2 out of 5 wrt owner satisfaction. Road test was far from stellar as well. That means that 2 out of 5 were, indeed, satisfied. But odds are against you.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:24 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by alvav
Personal opinions/anecdotes/etc are nice and all but hard data trumps all. Bottom line is LR is rated at 30 out of 100 wrt reliability and 2 out of 5 wrt owner satisfaction. Road test was far from stellar as well. That means that 2 out of 5 were, indeed, satisfied. But odds are against you.
And the CR reliability and satisfaction ratings are from surveys of owners of these vehicles.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:17 PM
alvav
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kayjh
And the CR reliability and satisfaction ratings are from surveys of owners of these vehicles.
Well, yeah. That's my point. There are people perfectly happy with the drive and reliability of the Defender; just not too many of them. Otherwise, it would be "0". But, hey; for some, reliability isn't everything. Otherwise, we'd all be driving Toyota's and Honda's.
Highline-Autos.com (02-28-2024)

Quick Reply: LR Defender 110