Savageese review of X5 M60....and comparison talk vs. Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 01:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default Savageese review of X5 M60....and comparison talk vs. Cayenne

Discussion regarding Cayenne begins at about 9:20. I have to say...I find it very hard to argue his point having sampled the pre-facelift X5 30d in Europe and now owning a G80 M3 for 3 months. At the time I ordered our '23 Hybrid, the Cayenne powertrain was hands down better than the 45e, and the 45e's standard air suspension was very soft. But now....the 50e has caught up. I'd rather have the B58 as a base engine vs. the V6 in the Cayenne. The X5 is roomier, cheaper and drives very, very well.

The last 5% and the ability to do more customization costs you a LOT. What's that Porsche badge worth? I mean, I put my money on it. But....I can't argue that for the vast majority of even petrolheads, the X5 is a pretty compelling choice.
The following 4 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
daveo4porsche (03-04-2024), LDT (03-04-2024), mdrobc1213 (03-26-2024), PorscheACC (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 02:01 PM
gatorfast
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 257 Posts

Isnt that ultimately the argument you can make across the Porsche lineup? Pick any model Porsche compared to its BMW or Mercedes "counterpart" and the Porsche will almost always appear the worse value on paper.
The following users liked this post:
LDT (03-10-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 02:40 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorfast
Isnt that ultimately the argument you can make across the Porsche lineup? Pick any model Porsche compared to its BMW or Mercedes "counterpart" and the Porsche will almost always appear the worse value on paper.
Well, for the sports cars, no. Their either is no comparable equivalent, or the Porsche is actually the better value. For the Panamera, meh, maybe? For the SUV's...yes. But the driving dynamics have always been more than that "last 5%". BMW has closed the gap quite substantially, IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
LDT (03-10-2024), Tedster (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 03:11 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,133 Posts

The X5 is definitely an outstanding choice - value and otherwise, particularly if you can side-step the massive depreciation that they experience within the first two or three years. As stated in the video, in getting a 2022 or 2023 now (X5 M50i), you're fundamentally getting almost all of the current new M60i, for about 1/2 the price of the new car.

Prior to recently getting the Cayenne, I was shopping for a used X5. I found it to be difficult to find one with the equipment that I wanted - in the right condition. One other thing that bothered me with the X5 is all of the lower optioned versions that they sell - and in some quantity. That seems to further exacerbate the depreciation problem, most acutely on the higher optioned versions.

I think the X5 is a better vehicle overall than the Cayenne.

Hopefully Porsche is paying attention and will be more studied with powertrain engineering and with more compelling standard equipment packages on the Cayenne.

Old 03-04-2024, 04:42 PM
hitmonlee
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

I know I'm in the minority but the standard roof rails alone are a deal breaker for me. Just make them optional like Porsche, BMW.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:14 PM
ihbond
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Not sure i would agree about x5 being “better” or just more likely preferred, we hated out x5/x7 seat comfort, the technology inside is wonky as you have to cold reboot it by hard starting, and also condensation from heated \cold cups can fry the middle console. Also the features like path learn for parking is just poor implementation. Their are somethings i do like, but not sure more preferred or better value is how i would personally compare…

Last edited by ihbond; 03-04-2024 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:33 PM
golftime
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Ugh, I just learned I threw away $30k.
retom (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 08:57 PM
retom
Racer

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm probably offending my American colleagues (sorry), but I think that the Cayenne has one big advantage over the BMW X5 or MB GLE. The Cayenne is manufactured in Europe and the X5 and GLE are manufactured in the USA. And this is visible in the quality of workmanship. And it's not even about what we see at first glance after opening the door. Because you can always discuss which leather on the seats is softer or the upholstery is nicer. However, the difference can be seen in the fit of elements or the quality of components assembly that are hidden from the sight of the average car owner. That is why it is often said that the BMW from Spartanburg is a different BMW from the one from Munich and the MB from Tuscaloosa is a different MB from the one from Sindelfingen.
I tried to buy the X5 and GLE several times, but each time I chose cars made in Germany. And since I've disassembled a few cars in my life, I think I know a little bit about what I'm writing about.

Last edited by retom; 03-04-2024 at 10:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by retom:
hitmonlee (03-04-2024), i386_64 (03-09-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 09:46 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
I'm probably offending my American colleagues (sorry), but I think that the Cayenne has one big advantage over the BMW X5 or MB GLE. The Cayenne is manufactured in Germany and the X5 and GLE are manufactured in the USA. And this is visible in the quality of workmanship. And it's not even about what we see at first glance after opening the door. Because you can always discuss which leather on the seats is softer or the upholstery is nicer. However, the difference can be seen in the fit of elements or the quality of components assembly that are hidden from the sight of the average car owner. That is why it is often said that the BMW from Spartanburg is a different BMW from the one from Munich and the MB from Tuscaloosa is a different MB from the one from Sindelfingen.
I tried to buy the X5 and GLE several times, but each time I chose cars made in Germany. And since I've disassembled a few cars in my life, I think I know a little bit about what I'm writing about.
On the other hand...

Old 03-04-2024, 09:52 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
I'm probably offending my American colleagues (sorry), but I think that the Cayenne has one big advantage over the BMW X5 or MB GLE. The Cayenne is manufactured in Germany and the X5 and GLE are manufactured in the USA. And this is visible in the quality of workmanship. And it's not even about what we see at first glance after opening the door. Because you can always discuss which leather on the seats is softer or the upholstery is nicer. However, the difference can be seen in the fit of elements or the quality of components assembly that are hidden from the sight of the average car owner. That is why it is often said that the BMW from Spartanburg is a different BMW from the one from Munich and the MB from Tuscaloosa is a different MB from the one from Sindelfingen.
Yup. Americans are so dumb that the designers at BMW and Mercedes have to dumb down the fasteners so that Billy Bob can use his fully automatic assault nailer to assemble them.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:04 PM
retom
Racer

Originally Posted by Ironman88
On the other hand...

True, but still Europe
Edited my post.
The same factory in Bratislava where Audi Q7, Q8 and partly Bentley Bentayga are produced.

Last edited by retom; 03-04-2024 at 10:09 PM.
Ironman88 (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 10:40 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 494 Likes on 357 Posts

@retom you cannot put the Q7 or Q8 (or the GLE for that matter) in the same comparo between the X5 and Cayenne. They simply do not stack up by any measure of quality, build, technology or performance.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:29 PM
retom
Racer

Originally Posted by LDT
@retom you cannot put the Q7 or Q8 (or the GLE for that matter) in the same comparo between the X5 and Cayenne. They simply do not stack up by any measure of quality, build, technology or performance.
I'm sorry but I disagree with you when it comes to Audi quality. Q7 or Q8 have much higher quality materials and assembly than X5.
The GLE is the X5 level. Cayenne, however, is on top.
The following 2 users liked this post by retom:
i386_64 (03-09-2024), Tedster (03-06-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 11:35 PM
gmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I cross-shopped the Cayenne (both the base and S) and bought a '24 X5 40 (3 liter, gas, non-hybrid), so you know my bias. The deciding factors for me were that the BMW is a much better value in terms of space, features, anticipated maintenance cost (I keep my cars to 120k+ miles). The materials are meaningfully better in the X5, and the available X5 colors are more interesting. Yes the Cayenne is marginally better to drive, especially when it comes to steering feel - the x5 steering feels needlessly artificial above 50mph. But we're talking 5k lb SUVs. They don't exactly do the tango. That's what the 911 is for :-)
LDT (03-05-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 09:47 AM
jo2134
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

I had 3 X5s in the last 12 years. A 35i, 50i, and most recently X5MC. It is without a doubt the best bang for your buck out of all of the luxury sports SUVs. The GLE is too “mommish” and the Q7 is a small minivan.

That being said Porsche owners are not looking for the best value. The overall quality of the Cayenne inside and out is superior to the X5. You do need about 20-30k of options to bring out the real potential of the Cayenne and without them it can feel cheap. It is more capable and comfortable and the V8 sport exhaust note on my S blows away any X5 exhaust note including the MC. I was deterred away by the horrendous iD8 system and am glad that was the case as now it would be tough for me to go back to the BMW.
Tedster (03-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Savageese review of X5 M60....and comparison talk vs. Cayenne