Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Gas vs E-hybrid longevity

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 05:20 AM
alvav
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Extremely rare for the battery pack to go bad. There are 1999 Honda Insights that are still running around. The battery technology is the same as that of home battery systems which are estimated to last 15 to 25 years. And, in any event, replacing the battery pack is less expensive than extensive engine work (or replacement). I travel about 30km daily; so 90% of the time, I'm in EV mode. A tank of gas will last me months. Which means that my gas engine is only running 10% of the time, thereby dramatically increasing its lifespan. And there is no carbon build-up, etc as the engine is not running. The PHEV system also greatly contributes to performance, bringing total hp to 463 when needed. All in all a great package.
The following 3 users liked this post by alvav:
daveo4porsche (03-31-2024), Needsdecaf (03-31-2024), southernpaladin (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 11:26 AM
ambitin
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

I've been driving my hybrid for 4 years now and haven't noticed any appreciable drop in battery life or performance. Because of my driving patterns, I often go months between fill-ups. Sometimes I'll just drive on ICE for a while to use up gas so it doesn't go bad in the tank.

For almost all driving conditions, I prefer my 2019 Cayenne hybrid to my wife's 2024 Cayenne S. When it's not cold outside, my hybrid feels quicker due to the immediate slam of torque. If you live somewhere with long winters, I would not buy any battery-powered car. The batteries suffer a catastrophic drop in performance when it's less than 30F. This past winter I couldn't even get my Cayenne hybrid to go faster than 20mph on battery-only power on a day where the temps hit 20F. It was laughable feeling it struggle.

One anecdotal data point: the coupling between the ICE drive and the battery drive is apparently complex and very expensive. I took my car to the dealership (under warranty) a couple of years ago because there was a slight whining while driving. The issue was some sort of leaking of a sealed part in the driveline and the repair cost $28k. I'm glad I didn't have to foot the bill for that!

If I were buying a new Cayenne today, the Cayenne S hybrid would be at the top of my list. My next car was supposed to be a new Corvette Z06 but after my fun with the Cayenne hybrid, I'm seriously looking at the battery-augmented Corvette. (I'm too big/fat for a 911).
The following 2 users liked this post by ambitin:
daveo4porsche (03-31-2024), southernpaladin (04-01-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 01:53 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,654 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by ambitin
I've been driving my hybrid for 4 years now and haven't noticed any appreciable drop in battery life or performance. Because of my driving patterns, I often go months between fill-ups. Sometimes I'll just drive on ICE for a while to use up gas so it doesn't go bad in the tank.

For almost all driving conditions, I prefer my 2019 Cayenne hybrid to my wife's 2024 Cayenne S. When it's not cold outside, my hybrid feels quicker due to the immediate slam of torque. If you live somewhere with long winters, I would not buy any battery-powered car. The batteries suffer a catastrophic drop in performance when it's less than 30F. This past winter I couldn't even get my Cayenne hybrid to go faster than 20mph on battery-only power on a day where the temps hit 20F. It was laughable feeling it struggle.

One anecdotal data point: the coupling between the ICE drive and the battery drive is apparently complex and very expensive. I took my car to the dealership (under warranty) a couple of years ago because there was a slight whining while driving. The issue was some sort of leaking of a sealed part in the driveline and the repair cost $28k. I'm glad I didn't have to foot the bill for that!

If I were buying a new Cayenne today, the Cayenne S hybrid would be at the top of my list. My next car was supposed to be a new Corvette Z06 but after my fun with the Cayenne hybrid, I'm seriously looking at the battery-augmented Corvette. (I'm too big/fat for a 911).
the eHybrid system in the Cayenne is essentially the 'transmission' - any _ANY_ transmission repair for _ANY_ Porsche is going to be expensive - hybrid or otherwise - my wife's 2015 Boxster S got a new PDK transmission under-warranty due to ongoing faults - if not warranty in 2018 cost would've been north of $25k according to dealer service - no hybrid issues invovlved…

major mechanical parts from Porsche are simply expensive - again no hybrid required - most of the complexity in a Hybrid is the software (which really isn't something Porsche 'fixes/repairs') - I stick with V6/V8 Turbo engines (very very complex) and the electronically controlled AWD systems and all the mechanical linkages involved our out beloved Cayennes and say if you want to talk longevity, well then it's crap shoot as to what is actually going to fail 6+ years out and more than 100,000 miles - and all of it is not cheap…on my 2021 Cayenne the hybrid battery is the LEAST of my concerns - however the BS $2k 12V battery which is known to fail and never covered under warranty and perennially out of stock - yeah that's much more of a concern…

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 03-31-2024 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-31-2024, 01:57 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Some Panamera battery failure discussion

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...y-failure.html
Old 03-31-2024, 05:41 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 90 Posts
Default e-hybrid experience - engine break-in?? - Surround View

BUT FIRST - Order Surround View!! I have a ‘24 Cayenne base model loaner. Compared to my ‘19 Cayenne and other recent Porsches, the lack of a front camera and surround view is a pain, especially when wanting to center the car in the middle of a tight parking spot. And while clearing parking lot curbs isn’t an issue, there are times when parking up against a wall or another car that the front camera is useful.

I had a 2019 e-hybrid for approx. 3.5 years that I traded one year ago for the Taycan GTS. I loved the Cayenne: e-boost on take off, “push-to-pass” button for temporary EV boost, hybrid mode on highways delivering 26 mpg because of the coast feature (I don’t know if there was any regen on coasting, though), and the fact that my wife and I could typically do a day’s errands without using the gas engine but it was there for bursts of power with needed. There were a few times when going out two or three times during the day that we charged in between and stayed in EV mode throughout. (We charge at 240V.)

With the ‘19 e-hybrid, we could see a projected range of 24 in warm weather, 19-20 when cold (which was as good as new, although we only had about 8,500 miles on the clock) but in real world driving that was typically about 20/17 miles respectively in EV mode. The new Cayenne hybrids do much better - I‘ve read 40-50 miles.

It likely took a long time to reach the end of the break-in period for the gas engine. Often the engine kicks in under load, e.g., when going up hill or passing another vehicle (or giving it the beans coming out of a corner). I wondered how the engine is prepared to deal with that load and likely higher RPMs. I was told by a service advisor that the engine oiling system is designed to deal with that. Whenever I knew the gas engine was going to kick in because of I knew I’d exceed the EV range or because of terrain (or sporty driving), I would turn the dial to Sport at a traffic light, etc. to let the engine run for a couple minutes to get some oil on the moving parts. If anyone has additional thoughts on what provides gas engine longevity in hybrids, I’d be interested to know. This objective is clearly in Porsche’s best interests, as well.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (03-31-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 02:06 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,654 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
For a long term hold, I'd avoid the hybrid.

It will lose battery capacity every year just like your iPhone when you check in battery health. I wonder why Porsche doesn't have the same app data as Apple?

Pure ICE for the win
EV batteries are managed vs. unmanaged laptop/cell-phone batteries - capacity loss is far less severe for managed LiON battery packs (this is now an industry fact given 10+ year of LiON based EVs/Hybrids with manged LiON battery packs) - compariing your $50 laptop/cell phone battery is like comparing your gas lawn mower to your bi-turbo V8…they are not the same and have wildly different longevity expectations…

you will have ICE related mechanical failures/repairs (warranty or otherwise) long before you Hybrid battery is likely to be an issue.

your advice simply shows a level of ignorance vs. insightful wisdom.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 04-01-2024 at 02:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mgx1020 (04-02-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 01:50 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I would not be too concerned with getting into an eHybrid if that is what you want. The Cayenne eHybrid rocks. I have been in hybrids since 2006 and my last two have been the Cayenne eHybrids. The only hybrid related issue I have had was the safety interlock on the J1772 socket was sticking and the Cayenne thought it was still plugged in so it would not go. Porsche dealer replaced the socket and under warranty and all is well. To get the maximum advantage for the eHybrid it should be plugged in every day/night, I use the departure timer function and the vehicle is charged and heated or cooled when I leave the garage. It the climate control is a little thing but nice. Yes, you will lose some battery capacity over time, that is a given. When the temps are in the sweet spot (60 to 70 degrees) I can see 24 e-miles. In the winter I see about 17 e-miles, Now the 2024 eHybrids have a bigger battery capacity so an e-range of over 30 miles is predicted. Which is perfect for my commute and some errand running after work. On a side note, I was scrolling through the screens while waiting on a train one day and found a total usage screen and was pleasantly surprised by the numbers: I have about 43k on a 2019 and almost 21lk have been on battery. I was impressed to see that. Just thinking of the money saved by being on batter and the environmental impact made mt smile. My Cayenne is fairly well optioned: Moonlight Blue Pearl (not my first choice but buying used makes you decide what's important); RAS; Sport Chrono, Air Suspension; 21" RS Rims; Tow Pkg, Full Leather and the Premium Plus Pkg. So after testing driving several similar sized EV's recently I told one of the sales reps after the test drive that I must be spoiled by the Cayenne for the comfort and handling. I will wait for the full BEV Cayenne to come out in 2026 (if Porsche manages to hit forecast release date) and see if that floats my boat. In the meantime, I hope that Porsche StL puts some Macan EV's in it's loaner fleet so I drive one of those. Had a Taycan loaner for a week last year and really enjoyed the drive. Getting in and out really sucked (I'm 6'3"/260ish#). But man oh man, that car could handle. If you look at the numbers, the eHyrid slots just below the Cayenne Turbo in output. Yes, there are some concessions because of the added weight, but I don't notice it. Just my two cents.

Last edited by craig001; 04-21-2024 at 01:57 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by craig001:
AtTheGlen (04-21-2024), daveo4porsche (04-21-2024), Needsdecaf (04-22-2024), southernpaladin (04-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Gas vs E-hybrid longevity