Sponsored By:

Ceramic vs Graphine coating and Window tint

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 11:27 AM
Porsche Newbee
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ceramic vs Graphine coating and Window tint

Cayenne S hybrid hopefully to arrive to Halifax port in 4-6 weeks, still stuck at EMDEN port for past week or so. Thinking taking straight from dealer to have ppf and coating done. Research tells me Graphene is the way to go. Seems ppf needs to be done first tho. Adam’s graphene seems to be most popular. Any comments on this and having windows tinted? Detailers keep suggesting tint windows
Old 04-07-2024, 11:50 AM
ihbond
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche Newbee
Cayenne S hybrid hopefully to arrive to Halifax port in 4-6 weeks, still stuck at EMDEN port for past week or so. Thinking taking straight from dealer to have ppf and coating done. Research tells me Graphene is the way to go. Seems ppf needs to be done first tho. Adam’s graphene seems to be most popular. Any comments on this and having windows tinted? Detailers keep suggesting tint windows
this you tuber (dmitrys Gaarge), has some decent testing to some of the hyped ceramics…
PPF should be done first,
out in AZ we tint all windows to reduce heat, except we do not tine PANO roof…potential breaking

that being said. Expel, has. A slight orange peel. Stek has less (so i have read).pros and cons of both for sure…

Old 04-07-2024, 01:52 PM
Porsche Newbee
Track Day

Thanks watched one of his videos last night on pros and cons ceramic vs graphene and his testing on Adam’s graphene was pretty impressive. Either way he seems to be saying graphene is far superior to ceramic regardless of product choice.
Tinting seems to be popular so need to research more
Old 04-07-2024, 04:26 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 625 Likes on 404 Posts

I have used ceramic (1 car professionally installed and I have done 10 or so cars) and love it. Never tried anything graphene at all, so just don't know.

I have always tinted my windows (AZ & FL) and other than having a Targa without tinted windows, I always do.

Both are personal choices, as well as PPF (installed is the key here though).
The following users liked this post:
Porsche Newbee (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 06:45 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts

my understanding is that the graphene is a gimmick. that same coating that is impressive would be impressive w/o the graphene ingredient. They are working on graphene products but no consequential graphene coating is on the market yet. what is on the market is just enough added to ceramic products so they can use the word graphene to generate buzz and excitement.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasWShea:
Needsdecaf (04-08-2024), Porsche Newbee (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 07:42 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,136 Posts

OP - sounds like your plan is to use the coating over PPF.

If that's the case, what are your primary objectives / goals for the coating? What function(s) are you expecting it to provide?

Porsche Newbee (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 08:50 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

when u do ppf and ceramic the ceramic always goes on top of the ppf. the ceramic is what gives it that super slippery feel and what makes the water bead and what makes the car easier to wash.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasWShea:
MoeMistry (04-16-2024), Porsche Newbee (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 08:56 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
when u do ppf and ceramic the ceramic always goes on top of the ppf. the ceramic is what gives it that super slippery feel and what makes the water bead and what makes the car easier to wash.
In addition to that, the ceramic coating over the PPF will prevent the PPF from getting acid etched by bird poop. (If bird poop etches the untreated PPF, the etched spot can't be polished out. The acid in the poop actually damages the PPF.)

Ceramic coating over PPF is definitely a good idea.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
MoeMistry (04-16-2024), Porsche Newbee (04-07-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 11:36 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,552 Likes on 1,588 Posts

my understanding is that the graphene is a gimmick. that same coating that is impressive would be impressive w/o the graphene ingredient. They are working on graphene products but no consequential graphene coating is on the market yet. what is on the market is just enough added to ceramic products so they can use the word graphene to generate buzz and excitement.
1000% THIS. "Graphene" coating IS Ceramic coating with "graphene" mixed in. Usually to generate marketing.

Also, coatings in general are one of the highest marked up products out there. If you are at all handy, applying a consumer grade coating like GTechnic Crystal Syrum Light or, better, Ammo Reflex is child's play. The real labor comes from the paint correction you should do before coating. Paint correction is by far harder (and honestly by far more important to the look of the paint).

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 04-08-2024 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:18 PM
Porsche Newbee
Track Day

Good to know, maybe that’s why it seems few detailers are using Graphene and great majority using Ceramic. I think I will do my own ceramic over the ppf as being a new car there shouldn’t be any paint correction and I believe a thorough wash pre applying the Ceramic should suffice? Just going to have full front ppf’d then will Ceramic over it plus the rest of the car Thank you all for your input!!
Old 04-08-2024, 12:26 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Good to know, maybe that’s why it seems few detailers are using Graphene and great majority using Ceramic. I think I will do my own ceramic over the ppf as being a new car there shouldn’t be any paint correction and I believe a thorough wash pre applying the Ceramic should suffice? Just going to have full front ppf’d then will Ceramic over it plus the rest of the car Thank you all for your input!!
you would be wrong. every car needs correcting even off the lot. check out some youtube videos to verify. getting the car paint correct before you do ppf or a coating is going to be what gives the car that show finish most people expect. granted a new car should not need a full polish, it should only need fairly light polish to correct.
ihbond (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 12:31 PM
Porsche Newbee
Track Day

Ok thanks then I’ll get the company I use doing the ppf to also apply the paint correction and Ceramic. Makes sense to pay to have it done properly
Old 04-08-2024, 01:17 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,552 Likes on 1,588 Posts

you would be wrong. every car needs correcting even off the lot. check out some youtube videos to verify. getting the car paint correct before you do ppf or a coating is going to be what gives the car that show finish most people expect. granted a new car should not need a full polish, it should only need fairly light polish to correct.

Yes, my Cayenne was....not in good shape.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post18665735
Old 04-08-2024, 01:33 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

It's really up to you of course as the owner of the car - but most brand new cars do need at least some paint correction. Any flaws in the paint will certainly become permanent visual distractions once the PPF is installed.

Photos below of my brother's car. He purchased it new and had the paint corrected and PPF applied. After the PPF, he and I hand washed the car; cleaned the PPF; used another product to clean off all residues; and then applied a ceramic coating over the PPF.

We used P21S Gloss-enhancing Paintwork Cleanser followed by a wipe down with Gyeon Prep (Gyeon prep applied to a microfiber cloth - not directly sprayed onto the PPF). After cleaning the PPF with the P21S, the finish was significantly glossier and in running your hand across it, had practically zero drag on the finish. GTechniq Crystal Serum Light followed by GTechniq EXO completed the task.

importtuner (04-21-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 01:46 PM
ihbond
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Ok thanks then I’ll get the company I use doing the ppf to also apply the paint correction and Ceramic. Makes sense to pay to have it done properly
Will you be doing the wheels and calipers. As well..?

If you want to GEEK OUT ON SI02 CHECK the video link below…

For me ,personally, i pay to have si02 done because I Currently do not have near the experience to paint correct the top coat that is typically needed before the Si02 is applied. You don't want to cut to deep for paint correction..

Quick Reply: Ceramic vs Graphine coating and Window tint