Sponsored By:

Options at Delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 05:33 PM
jhillard
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Options at Delivery?

Our SA called to say our Cayenne S arrived at the dealership on Sunday and was undergoing PDI and adding PPF, it should be ready in a few days! He also mentioned in passing other "options" to talk about when we pick it up. This is our first Porsche, coming from a Range Rover. Not sure what to expect at delivery (although I am super excited). Looking for opinions on the options the SA has mentioned during the process...

a) Extended warranty - is it worth it? The Land Rover extended warranty turned out to be pretty worthless (not even a defective radiator cap was covered?!?!) Is the Porsche one better?

b) Pre-paid maintenance -

c) Windshield Replacement Insurance - The Range Rover would crack a windshield and need a replacement about once a year. Granted, it had a huge windshield, but at $1,500 - $2,000 a pop it was getting painful

d) Wheel Insurance - our build has the 21's. Do they get easily scratched up on curbs?

Anything else they might try to drop on us?

Any opinions or experiences are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2024, 05:52 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 236 Posts

Personally I’d not bother with anything as the included warranty is good enough and maintenance doesn’t have to be done by the dealer, except recalls and warranty fixes. I’ve gone through 3 porsches and all the extended warranty stuff were never used, stopped paying for them.

mileage may vary. I just won’t given my experience.
The following users liked this post:
Gmanscott (04-09-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 05:58 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 153 Posts

a. nope.
b. nope. You should ask for the 20k as a thanks for buying the car though. Usually the actual cost is lower than the prepaid amount.
c. Get that from your car insurance, its almost always cheaper. And since its under comprehensive your deductible may not apply, however this depends on your state's laws.
d. Unless you live where potholes are big part of your day, or have problems parking its a bad deal. Save the cash towards winter wheels if your climate is appropriate..
Other nope: Paint protection film and ceramic coating. Find a local expert. The dealer may just send it to them and add their margin on top. Or worse the dealer will use precut ppf pieces that leave nasty edges that will pick up dirt and are hard to clean.

As far as do's: ask for a jacket and a nice coffe mug. The dealer will get them to stock and usualy have too much.
Gmanscott (04-09-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 06:30 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 170 Posts

I’ll probably have a little different opinion on the dealer items than others.

ext warranty: how long do you plan to keep the vehicle? An aftermarket warranty can be added later. For me I plan to keep longer than 4 years so I bought an extended up front. An extended warranty is much cheaper in 2022 than 4 years later especially at the current inflation rate

Prepaid Maintenace: I just completed the 20k maintence which I prepaid at purchase. With the rapid increase of labor and parts I suspect I saved at least 25% over not prepaid. I also don’t know if my primary dealer will be doing the service or one in another location. Dealers across the country have different rates. The 20k was done in AZ. I’m kicking myself for not prepaying through 40k. Others will say just use an Indy or do yourself but that’s not the option I choose. I prefer the dealer.

Windshield: carry full glass coverage on insurance. Porsche’s plan isn’t that great. I had the windshield replaced before the vehicle was a year old. I think the claim was for $3600.

Wheel ins: I did the wheel, tire, key, ding package. We travel a lot in the winter months so I wanted the Porsche coverage. 1st winter trip to Florida took a bolt in a rear tire. Called the dealer and they had it replaced in a couple of hours for $50. Lots of ways around this but in unfamiliar places it’s nice to just go to the Porsche dealer and have done.

Doing the dealer add ons are pricey but fully negotiable. It really depends on how you plan to use the vehicle, how long you’ll keep, do you work on it yourself or do you have a network of Indy’s you can depend on. For myself having these add ons with the dealer backing was the right thing to do.

Last edited by rdboxster; 04-08-2024 at 07:00 PM.
mdrobc1213 (04-14-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 07:05 PM
jhillard
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, lots of good, different viewpoints to consider. Some additional info for me, I tend to keep cars for awhile. We've had the Range Rover for nearly seven years. I also like to drive them. So leasing has never been an option, I could never keep under yearly mileage limits. So I need to consider I will have it for awhile and probably be using it as a daily driver for most of the time.

Love the tip about a jacket and coffee mug! That would be better than the too large sweatshirt and polo the Land Rover dealer "gave" us!
The following 4 users liked this post by jhillard:
mdrobc1213 (04-14-2024), Talon38c (04-09-2024), Tedster (04-09-2024), wets1162 (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 01:39 PM
wets1162
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm coming out of a Range Rover also and will be taking delivery of my Cayenne next week. I've also thought of all the same added options.
MJM888 (04-15-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 02:46 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 570 Posts

After owning Cayenne for 5.5 years and 75K miles, here is my take:
1. Extended warranty from Porsche - paid for itself already - replaced cracked muffler and oil thermostat after main warranty expired due to high mileage. If driving a lot and/or keeping the car for long, it's probably worthwhile.
2. Prepaid maintenance - I did not get it, but if I did, I'd have saved some money because I service at dealer (due to convenience - they valet the car to and from service and leave a nice loaner in my garage). If not servicing at dealer, it may have not saved the money.
3. Windshield replacement - mine is covered by insurance, so there was no point. I went through 4 windshield replacements in 5.5 years, which is ridiculous - heat and sound reducing windshield breaks more easily. I also live in a place with LOTS of rocks on the roads. Not everyone is in the same boat. On average, the insurance company makes money, so I would not get it unless living in a rock-infested place and having the sound and noise reducing glass option.
4. Regarding wheels & tires, it very much depends on how the car is driven. But I would have not broken even on it despite losing 2 tires and curbing 1 wheel lightly. And my wife is careless when it comes to wheels. So I'd say most should pass on it.

In general, insurance companies make money off insurance (a lot, actually), so if you can handle the potential loss, on average it's always better to self-insure. Maintenance and warranty are somewhat different - there is already a profit margin built into the price of work, so the vendors are open to reducing that margin somewhat in exchange for your commitment. In other words, you do get a discount on prepaid maintenance in exchange for prepaying, and the warranty is similar. So it can make sense, especially if you are planning to service at a dealer or a premium independent.

Last edited by MaxLTV; 04-09-2024 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:20 PM
SuperG$
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Here's what we did when we bought our CPO '20 two months ago

1. Extended warranty -- since we plan to keep this a long time and will drive it a lot, we extended the CPO warranty. Maybe we won't need it?
2. Prepaid maintenance -- skipped. The dealer is more than 2x the price of my indy shop
3. Windshield replacement -- we have glass coverage through our insurance carrier. Check your policy and consider adding the coverage or switching carriers who offer coverage if you're breaking glass that often.
4. Wheel & Tire -- I was really on the fence about this one, but if we had it on our previous Cayenne, it would have paid for itself. So I reluctantly decided to purchase this coverage. The roads around us are terrible most of the year. Seriously, the surface of the moon has fewer craters than the streets of Indianapolis. If we experience the tire and wheel damage on our new Cayenne at the rate of our old one, this will pay for itself. Plus, this is my wife's DD so in the event of tire/wheel damage, she gets a nice loaner while her car is sorted out.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:36 AM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

A note on wheel and tire. It should be refundable. In other words if you pay $2500 for 5 years and trade in 2 years make sure you ask for the $1500 back. I did this on cars with Center Locks but not sure its worth it on a Cayenne where you can go a wheel fixed or just buy a new one.
Also, there are all negotiable. Ask them for transparency on their margin and tell them you will give them 20% but not 200%.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:13 PM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 453 Posts

No to the options.
Maybe to the wheel and tire depending on your driving.
Old 04-14-2024, 12:16 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Orca911
A note on wheel and tire. It should be refundable. In other words if you pay $2500 for 5 years and trade in 2 years make sure you ask for the $1500 back. I did this on cars with Center Locks but not sure its worth it on a Cayenne where you can go a wheel fixed or just buy a new one.
Also, there are all negotiable. Ask them for transparency on their margin and tell them you will give them 20% but not 200%.
Good info...thanks. I've seen wheel and tire be crazy expensive and only once had total loss of two tires on my Audi RS5 and was amazed the OEM replacements were almost $1100 each! Wheel and Tire would have helped a lot vs an insurance claim and/our out of pocket expense as it ended up being a $6k expense due to wheels x2, tires x2, and mild other panel replacements under body from road hazard.

Quick Reply: Options at Delivery?