Sponsored By:

Cayenne Turbo GT versus Macan GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 03:01 PM
phojes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
Not sure how you transport your mountain bike - not possible to fit a hitch to the turbo GT. There are roof bars available from Porsche.
There being no option for tow hitch to mount a bike rack is the only reason I don’t have a TGT in my garage
Old 04-20-2024, 03:02 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by phojes
There being no option for tow hitch to mount a bike rack is the only reason I don’t have a TGT in my garage
me too
Old 04-20-2024, 03:05 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Orca911
me too
Originally Posted by phojes
Baloney! There are other options.....

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-20-2024, 03:08 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

Sure. But I love my 1UP rack.
Hanging full suspension CF bike from the frame on a rack like that doesn't work in real life.
but it's priorities and use case.

Last edited by Orca911; 04-20-2024 at 03:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pinion (04-22-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 03:17 PM
phojes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
Baloney! There are other options.....
That’s a no
Old 04-20-2024, 04:12 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

yea, if there was an aftermarket hitch option, then I'd for sure get a TGT. too bad...
Old 04-20-2024, 04:26 PM
Bowball
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Everyone has me enthused. I’ll drive a CGT perhaps tomorrow.

If I bought a used one (and I’ll keep the Macan as well), what’s the preference for years? Anything where big improvements were made? I know there was a refresh but I sort of prefer the earlier interior.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:12 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

The TGT with the factory titanium Akrapovic exhaust puts out the most melodious V8 sounds ever
The following 2 users liked this post by user1029:
DubDub12 (04-21-2024), Felix (04-21-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 10:42 PM
Bowball
Instructor

I did drive one. The weight is pretty massive, and certainly feel it on braking etc. the Macan turbo especially with PP is a far more capable canyon road carver. However the CGT has a presence and solidity so for long distance trips it would be great. But it won’t hang with a GTS or PP Macan on twisty secondary roads. Having said that, I really like it.im nit sure I could give up the sports car feel of the Macan though.
Old 04-21-2024, 04:34 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The Cayenne Turbo GT is about 100kg heavier than the Macan? 0-60 time is ~3 seconds whereas the Macan is ~4? Cayenne Turbo GT’s Nurburgring lap time is better than a Cayman 981 GT4.

*** checked Porsche’s specs - the DIN weight of the Macan with the perf package is 1925 and the C TGT is 2220 so 300 kg = 660 lbs as opposed to the 100 I posted above ***

Not sure the Cayenne will lag behind the Macan.

Last edited by Felix; 04-22-2024 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Error
Botox (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 12:03 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,854 Likes on 1,728 Posts

The Cayenne Turbo GT is about 100kg heavier than the Macan? 0-60 time is ~3 seconds whereas the Macan is ~4? Cayenne Turbo GT’s Nurburgring lap time is better than a Cayman 981 GT4.

Weight:
Macan Turbo PP = 4,244 lbs.
The current Macan GTS = 4,400 lbs.
TGT = 5,055 lbs.
Not 100 kg difference. 650-800 lbs makes a very BIG difference.

0-60:
Macan Turbo GT as tested by C&D: 3.5 sec.
Current Macan GTS as tested by C&D: 3.5 sec.
Current TGT as tested by C&D: 2.8 sec.
Not a big delta. Considering one is a 6 and one is an 8, Macan is impressive.

Nobody is going to argue that the TGT with an additional 200hp, GT drivetrain and chassis is a better car despite its weight pentalty. The question is by how much and, far more importantly, is the Cayenne truly better than the Macan in places like mountain roads where 0-60 times don't matter but weight does?

The TGT is superior in numbers. The question is, is it superior in fun factor? I have yet to drive one in twisty roads where I do my fun driving and therefore don't know. I do know that for a CUV, my Macan Turbo PP is pretty hard to beat when I drive it at the limit on twisty roads.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:13 PM
Bowball
Instructor

probably on the Ring you are correct. Interesting they never tested one . Even the Tesla Plaid does well there. The weight to horsepower ratio is too lopsided between them. But the Ring also has long straights. When I said tight I was thinking of the tight roads like those coming down to Stinson Beach in Ca. Even my 356’s are tough for modern cars to deal with there as the mass really matters - later braking points, can carry more speed etc. it’s the acceleration and longer straights that equalize. When I would race at Infineon or other tighter tracks the larger horsepower cars would open up on me at straights, I could pass them into and out of corners, and if I could maintain that in to the next linked corner I’d be gone but it often took several laps.

but that’s a specific use case. I’m intrigued by a CGT.
It sure seems big next to a Macan! - and maybe that has me deceived about handling! But I did feel the mass on braking relative to the Macan.

Last edited by Bowball; 04-21-2024 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:34 PM
SoCal-Mat
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I occasionally run my CGT instead of my R8 up and down Angeles Crest Highway. You are right on the mass, however the CGT on the OE Corsa’s is very sprightly indeed. The handling on the twisties is what surprised me most. The 10 pot front brakes scrub off speed well and disguise the mass. If you can take one out do so and make your own comparisons. I am sure you won’t be disappointed. I wasn’t. The CGT is a fantastic all rounder. It does lots of things well.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:09 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,854 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowball
probably on the Ring you are correct. Interesting they never tested one . Even the Tesla Plaid does well there. The weight to horsepower ratio is too lopsided between them. But the Ring also has long straights. When I said tight I was thinking of the tight roads like those coming down to Stinson Beach in Ca. Even my 356’s are tough for modern cars to deal with there as the mass really matters - later braking points, can carry more speed etc. it’s the acceleration and longer straights that equalize. When I would race at Infineon or other tighter tracks the larger horsepower cars would open up on me at straights, I could pass them into and out of corners, and if I could maintain that in to the next linked corner I’d be gone but it often took several laps.

but that’s a specific use case. I’m intrigued by a CGT.
It sure seems big next to a Macan! - and maybe that has me deceived about handling! But I did feel the mass on braking relative to the Macan.
Reading this reminded me of this classic battle...

Originally Posted by SoCal-Mat
I occasionally run my CGT instead of my R8 up and down Angeles Crest Highway. You are right on the mass, however the CGT on the OE Corsa’s is very sprightly indeed. The handling on the twisties is what surprised me most. The 10 pot front brakes scrub off speed well and disguise the mass. If you can take one out do so and make your own comparisons. I am sure you won’t be disappointed. I wasn’t. The CGT is a fantastic all rounder. It does lots of things well.
The Macan isn't perfect and there are a areas where the TGT is superior (to me, in theory at this point).
PDK in the Macan is brilliant, especially with better mounts, but PDK can be clunky on take off when daily driving it.
Most didn't option PCCBs and the calipers look impressive but they are the same as the Turbo and IIRC are either 4 or 6 pot. They've scared me a couple of times.
I have no doubts the TGT suspension is far superior than the Macan's suspension.

Part of my likes an underdog and wonders what carbon brakes and magnesium wheels would do for a Macan. Maybe pano delete too.
Part of me thinks it makes more sense to move to a proper GT car. Like @Bowball I'm leaning toward the TGT but still dreading parting with the Macan.

Last edited by Wilder; 04-21-2024 at 01:20 PM.
SoCal-Mat (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 01:48 PM
Bowball
Instructor

My Macan PP is without the sunroof so some highs weight saved.

the other advantage of the Macan versus the Cayenne is it’s easier visually or more confidence inspiring to place the car. But the quality of the Cayenne GT comes through for sure.

I’ll keep my Macan PP but want another distance car. CGT or Panamera sport back GTS? or … Mercedes wagon e63. Hmmm. But I’m a big fan of that cayenne.

one thing I think about is those Corsa low profile tires… on rougher road surfaces and also when colder temperatures… is that what people run?

Last edited by Bowball; 04-21-2024 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo GT versus Macan GTS?